ESP Eclipe I or Eclipse II?

Updated
fireblade
Hi, Does anyone have an opinion on which wud be better guitar? I own an LTD EC-1000 STBC with EMG 80/61 and i love it, neck is brilliant etc.. I want to get an Eclipse with SD pickups, so Im about to drop 1600 odd euro (cos guitars are expensive in Europe:rolleyes:) on an ESP Eclipse. I have option of: 1. A black (not VB) Eclipse I (4 control pots) with APH Humbuckers (zebra), Sperzel tuners, Gotoh bridge. 2. A Eclipse II (3 control pots) USA 'distressed' aged honey burst, with SH-1/SH-4 SD pickups. Gotoh tuners & bridge. Does anyone own either of these 2 models and if you do what do you think of them? Are the 3 pot controls limited, compared to to 4 pot? Its been a while since i played anything with 4 pots (2vol/2 tone). Im leaning towards the black 4 pot (pre-lawsuit) Eclipse I at this moment, just because of 4 pot controls and it looks nice. Also, Im not mad about the idea of someone hitting n scratching (distressing) my guitar, other than me. Any advice wud be cool.
andrei

welcome!

this is kindo pointles: the one you like most.
i'm shure both are great instruments.

BroKV

I'd go with the Eclipse II

wiretap

Go with the black one, for sure. Those distressed guitars are kinda lame, and aged honey burst finishes look like shit.

PennyCentury

What's the point of distressed guitars? Fender and Gibson suffer from senility, for sure. Blame Bill Nash for starting this madness. Why spend good money for something that resembles a Pawnshop Prize? "Vintage" guitars has got to be the most mindless scam going, only the dealers profit anyway. 50's and 60's guitars were built notoriously inconsistently. Of course a 50's guitar is going to be beat up. And your precious "tone"? A crap shoot.

To me there is nothing more beautiful than a top of the line Eclipse with a wonderful maple quilt top, binding, and passive EMG's. Singing sustain with the right stack.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Asoa

I have got the eclipse II which i had to pre-order because i wanted it in white, but what sold me to buy the ESP Eclispe in the first place was a gloss black 4 knobbed Eclipse 1.

I can honestly say it was the best sounding and most playable guitar i have ever tried in a shop straight of the hook....fantastic instrument.

LordCliffton

My opinion is get that which is more versatile. In this case the Eclipse 1 with the LP style controls. you can always refinish it later if you end up not liking the black.

I've been toying with the idea of redoing my LTD Truckster to have LP style controls instead of the 2 vol/1 tone... perhaps next time I restring it I'll look into it.

fireblade

The Black Eclipse I won!!!
I ordered it on Friday, she should land here in couple of days. Cant wait!!
Its my personal 'fuck you' to the recession ha!
She was last one in stock in ESP Germany.
Next time im booking a holiday in US to go buy a guitar!

andrei

congrats dude, we're waiting on the pics!

Ozwepaie

wise choice. both on the guitar, and on shopping in the states.

Dilzdo21

eclipse one

fireblade

here she is....:cool:

5150-Viper

oh my, that thing is HOTTT, especially with those zebra pickups.. very nice work

Deadpulse

dude, that's a hot peice!!

fireblade

mucho gracious people!!
I got it a couple of weeks now and love it.
She is a fan-fukin-tastic

jalmetalman

Good choice, looks killer!

Post to Thread