Fender American Deluxe vs. ESP Horizon NT-II

Updated
Sibs
I've narrowed it down to those guitars. Which one should i get??
CL4P-TP

It's mine. Why?

Piney Hills Music

sorry, I meant, did you buy yours from him...

CL4P-TP

Oh, gotcha. No, I didn't.

Piney Hills Music

coolio, I know at one point he was looking to sell his. didnt know where it ended up.

load more replies (1 of 1)
CL4P-TP

Gotcha. Yeah, I just got lucky with getting this one. Now it just needs it's DiMarzios....

KMDLT

I have a Strat Plus which is the predecessor model of the Strat Deluxe and a Horizon NT I. The brigde PU of my Strat is replaced by a Seymour Duncan SH 4 so the bridge PU of both guitars is the same. The neck of my strat is not as beefy like the standard strats, it is comfortably to play.

If you want to get the typical sound of a Strat the decision should be clear: To get the sound of a Strat you should get a Strat and nothing else. Despite the fact that the Horizon is really versatile, it never sound like a Strat!

Besides that the most striking difference between these two guitars is from my point of view sustain. Due to that point the Horizon has an advantage here. I think that this is the main reason why it suits more for Metal than the Strat.

CL4P-TP

Maybe I would be, had I told a kid that he wasn't worthy of buying an ESP cuz he liked Linkin Park.

But that lies with you.

CL4P-TP

And you did a hell of a job expressing it in your post, and then an even better job when you reinforced your original post. Then when again you did it a third time.

Also, smilies are your friend when using this sarcasm that you speak of.:rolleyes:
This one is even described as "Rolls Eyes(Sarcastic)"

Sand

Great smiley.:rolleyes:

KH Guitar Freak

Great smiley.:rolleyes:

Great post!!!

CL4P-TP

Contributing to old arguments ftl.

jboy500

i don't think any one has mentioned this yet but the deluxe strat has that S1 switching system (i think that's what its called) which simulates a humbucker like sound, i find it really usefull in the when in the bridge postion w/ alot of gain. i also like the middle position w/ the S1 engaged which lets u run all 3 single coils at the same time. really cool guitar.

Dæmonium

I would never complain about an ESP being more expensive than a Fender, because the moment you pick up an ESP you instantly know where the extra money has gone to.

I'm sorry, but if Fender Strats had neck-thru construction, neck/body binding and hardware which wasn't total shit (like the bridges) then I could understand their prices. But they don't, and they are way too overpriced for what they are. You build your own guitar by buying parts from Warmoth and adding quality hardware and it would shit all over a Fender in astronomical degrees.

KH Guitar Freak

I've heard the QC for Warmoth in terms of tone ain't that good though, but that's based of hearsay anyway... :D

Dæmonium

Well, at the very least you'd have more quality wood and better hardware, and it would be cheaper than a Fender Strat.

Piney Hills Music

I dunno man, i think that fender does what it does.. its the benchmark against which everything is compared with. Is there something better, sure. But they are the most consistant between guitars of any company. They all do thier job. The whole trem thing you were talking about, i mean dude, the Vintage tremelo is not supposed to do what your guitar with Floyd rose is. Its there for vibrato more than anything. You can get a well made, American Guitar for around a thousand dollars and the Hwy 1 stuff is around like 7-8 hundred. and they are what they are.
NOW, if you want a friggin shred machine, ESP and Jackson are BY FAR the way to go.

CL4P-TP

Needs more Jackson.:p

Dæmonium

Oh shut up. I just stated my personal opinions on a Fender Strat which as a player for 17 years, I know roughly what I'm talking about.

That guitar in particular which would not hold it's tuning was in no way related to new strings/stretching, etc. I was talking about the hardware on the guitar, which seemed to have gone over your head.

I obviously do not judge my guitars based on how long you can do dive bombs for. If that was the case, I'd have my guitars made out of plywood and have Floyd's on them. Again, I was talking about the build quality and hardware.

Re-read my post to help yourself out.

rscornutt

Oh shut up. I just stated my personal opinions on a Fender Strat which as a player for 17 years, I know roughly what I'm talking about.

That guitar in particular which would not hold it's tuning was in no way related to new strings/stretching, etc. I was talking about the hardware on the guitar, which seemed to have gone over your head.

I obviously do not judge my guitars based on how long you can do dive bombs for. If that was the case, I'd have my guitars made out of plywood and have Floyd's on them. Again, I was talking about the build quality and hardware.

Re-read my post to help yourself out.

Oh, I am quite sorry. Perhaps I misread this:

So a few months later, I bought my ESP Horizon FRII, and did dive bombs in his face for 3 hours and the guitar was still in tune. Far superior wood and hardware, and crafsmanship everywhere throughout the guitar.

And, if we are going to talk about time actually playing as a valid argument (which is laughable), then I see your seventeen years and raise you ten years on top of that. Perhaps your hair is longer than mine - that would make you more metal than me, then you could mount yet another argument that has nothing to do with the quality of anything.

I don't believe your problem with me is that I did not read your post. Your problem with me is that I actually did read your post and called BS on it, and I backed it up. You actually trying to compare a Floyd with the trems on Strats was the most funny. In seventeen long years of playing, one would think you would know more by now.

Dæmonium

I was not comparing a Floyd to a crappy trem on a Fender Strat. The whole point of my point which you seemed to have missed is that Strats are overpriced for what they offer. How much does an original Floyd cost, and how much does a trem on a Strat cost? Body binding? Neck-thru/bolt-on? Woods? Locking tuners? All of those add up to the overall price of a guitar, and when you pay 3k for an ESP for example, you an at least say that it has excellent hardware and neck-thru construction, which ultimately costs a lot more. With a Fender, you can't really say that as all of the hardware is, in my opinion, quite crappy, and they're bolt-on's. And although bolt-on's have their benefits, they are what, $500 cheaper in craftsmanship.

That's what I was trying to say, to make it as simple as possible. You called bullshit on something in which you completely missed the point.

G'day.

Piney Hills Music

I was not comparing a Floyd to a crappy trem on a Fender Strat. The whole point of my point which you seemed to have missed is that Strats are overpriced for what they offer. How much does an original Floyd cost, and how much does a trem on a Strat cost? Body binding? Neck-thru/bolt-on? Woods? Locking tuners? All of those add up to the overall price of a guitar, and when you pay 3k for an ESP for example, you an at least say that it has excellent hardware and neck-thru construction, which ultimately costs a lot more. With a Fender, you can't really say that as all of the hardware is, in my opinion, quite crappy, and they're bolt-on's. And although bolt-on's have their benefits, they are what, $500 cheaper in craftsmanship.

That's what I was trying to say, to make it as simple as possible. You called bullshit on something in which you completely missed the point.

G'day.

out of curiosity, what did the American Strat he bought cost in comparison to the MII you bought
you "to me" seemed to be comparing apples to apples in terms of price... so I was curious. Reason I ask is that a Am Strat is about 1100 here and a Horizon is about 1400 for a non trem one and a little more for one with a Floyd. but you said something about a 500 dollar difference.
I am not calling BS, I am just wondering why he bought the Strat, if (i am assuming, cuz you wammy'd and did teh shredzorz in his face ) he plays "more of an agressive" style of music. Was it money, or was it he just liked the fender better, or what. You were in Germany, so was there a HUGE price difference, or was it something else.

I think the Fender is the best at doing what it does, but it (to me) isnt made for doing what the horizon does. I mean thats like trying to play bass on a tele.. can you do it, prolly... but it aint gonna be easy.

edit... i see that you said that it was 1700 Euros. Thats like 2700 dollars! Thats like a grand more than full retail here. was this just an american strat, or something more? What did the ESP cost you (remember I am a dealer in the US, so I dont have a clue what stuff goes for in Germany)

load more replies (2 of 2)
Dæmonium

What type of mods do you have on that Strat? I would assume some locking hardware or a half decent bridge?

Dæmonium

Totally, and like I said, I respect and understand that. It just doesn't seem to fit in with my logic or common sense, if you will.

But I still think Fender Strats are overpriced for what they are. They may not be crap, but overpriced in my opinion.

Post to Thread