ESP Horizon FR-II vs Jackson SL2H

Updated
Nagash
I usually tend to like weird guitar shapes like offset Vs or Explorer-alikes, but this time I'm simply seeking a high-end superstrat guitar. After looking around, I ended up caught between the following two : the ESP Horizon FR-II and the Jackson SL2H. Common features : Neck-through, dual humbuckers, 24 frets, floyd rose. Exactly what I want (plus the trans red finish ^^) Main differences : ESP has Mahogany body and EMGs. Retail price : around 2100 $ Jackson has Alder body and Seymour Duncan pickups. Retail price : 2750 $ So if anyone has tried out BOTH guitars, give me an advice please ! One of my close friends owns the ESP so I know it quite well, but I have no access to the Jackson so I can't tell if it is even better. And please DON'T suggest other manufacturers (especially not Ibanez) cause I'm only interested in these two guitars.
Pushead

Post links to other forums you've posted this question. I'd like to see what the JCF guys think of this question.

Nagash

I hate mayonnaise.

Alder-Mahogany... would you say mahogany is better for rhythm players wile alder suits both lead and rhythm guitarists ? Cause I actually do both.

Anything about body wood and harmonics ? And what does the quilted maple top change ?

Oh and I didn't post this question on the JCF forum yet, but I think I will.

Pushead

Alder-Mahogany... would you say mahogany is better for rhythm players wile alder suits both lead and rhythm guitarists ? Cause I actually do both.

I can play the Horizon every day if I want to, I can also play the M-II every day so for now I'm quite convinced that the Jackson is the one I should get.

You've played similar guitars, or you could every day. Play them and see if the tonal characteristics of either one fit your needs better. I'm sure if you looked out into the world, you'd find plenty of lead guitarists that play mahogany/maple guitars and plenty of rhythm only guitarists that play alder.

You seem to really be leaning toward the Jackson, but yet you also seem to be trying to start a ruckus as though not buying an ESP will insult us. Perhaps some of the intent is just lost in translation. I, for one, will not have my feelings hurt if you buy a Jackson over an ESP, but somehow I don't think you'll ever pull the trigger on either.

Nagash

It's true that I find the Jackson USA's very interesting (I really would like to own a KE2 and a SL2H), but they are also a LOT more expensive than the ESP Standards here in Europe. I could buy the Horizon for 1500 bucks, while the SL2H would cost around 2500. That's why I'm asking if the Jackson is really better in every way, to see if it's really worth the price. Price is a major issue, this sucks IMO but that doesn't change anything.

Besides, I don't mind hurting ESP freaks as it's MY money and MY guitar we're talking about. I just want to see what good things we can point out for both guitars.

Here is a short summary of what we've got so far :

Jackson > ESP
Flat comfortable top
Thinner neck
Quartersawn maple neck
Better construction
Better quality controls
Compound radius
Cool inlays
Seymour Duncan, passive

ESP > Jackson
Arched top
Quilted maple top
Thinner nut
Nicer finish
Narrow neck
The price

I recently discovered that passive pickups are nicer if you are a tone freak (if you don't believe me, take a guitar loaded with active EMGs and play it through a cranked-up tube amp. Lots of noise, brrrr...) and anyway, compensating my playing style with louder pickups isn't necessary (I can just switch the volume up). So for now, what I'd like the most would be a clear answer to the alder-mahogany question.

I'm going to the guitar shop. see ya, and don't fuck around with the mayonnaise !

Pushead

So for now, what I'd like the most would be a clear answer to the alder-mahogany question.

My answer to this question remains "find similar guitars, play them, and decide for yourself." Listening to any of us in this thread won't be able to give you an answer that's any better than your own experience.

(if you don't believe me, take a guitar loaded with active EMGs and play it through a cranked-up tube amp. Lots of noise, brrrr...)

The same thing happens with passive pickups as well.

load more replies (1 of 1)
ESP

Keep in mind, Piney is biased...8o

Piney Hills Music

Keep in mind, Piney is biased...8o

lol...

dont worry, it will not be a bias video..

the horizon is a much better guitar.. but its 300 more, so it should be...

the SL2H is not a similar guitar.. its duncan loaded, and flat top...

i just figured I would give an apples to apples comparison...

brandono61cr

kinda sounds different every time you plug it in , not too much but just a little.

Piney Hills Music

:( No Making Fun Of My Crappy Skeelz

brandono61cr

very nice !

IDK it could have been difference in playing but the notes on the horizon seemed more defined and powerful

JMO

MV-CTM

props for the fucking Ratt

Pushead

Piney knows the score!

brandono61cr

piney i just strolled around your site , looks like your running quite the operation there ! keep it up man !

Nagash

@shroony, I've seen GFunks posts on a lot of threads, he is like that all the time. Just don't mind or take it as fun...

Pushead

@shroony, I've seen GFunks posts on a lot of threads, he is like that all the time. Just don't mind or take it as fun...

I'd like to know what you found out on your trip to the store.

Pushead

Gfunk has been nothing but serious in this thread.

brandono61cr

ahhh .... what could we talk about next .... tuners ?

brandono61cr

ahhh .... what could we talk about next .... tuners ?

ESP has gotoh's magnums , perdy awesome , locking, solid feel

i have no idea on the jackson

brandono61cr

^^^^^^^^^

we got told bitches !!!!

ESP+ Jackson =jawesome

i dig the colors on that floyd

Nagash

You know, if I had enough cash, I'd close this thread and buy both guitars. IF...

I think I definitely play better on the Jackson neck. I'm not sure about the actual SOUND though, but the Jackson has passive Duncans so I tend to prefer it for this as well. I love ESPs, and I don't come to play on so many Jacksons, but it seems the Jackson USA's are just of higher quality than the ESP Standards. But then there is still this goddamn 1000 bucks issue.

People, I need to work. Studying doesn't make money.

Mushroony

You know, if I had enough cash, I'd close this thread and buy both guitars. IF...

I think I definitely play better on the Jackson neck. I'm not sure about the actual SOUND though, but the Jackson has passive Duncans so I tend to prefer it for this as well. I love ESPs, and I don't come to play on so many Jacksons, but it seems the Jackson USA's are just of higher quality than the ESP Standards. But then there is still this goddamn 1000 bucks issue.

People, I need to work. Studying doesn't make money.
Imo, it isn't worth 1000$ more. That's too much of a difference. 400-600 more, yes, deffinatly, but 1 grand...

MV-CTM

If there is a money issue I think you should look into getting a used Jackson, that way if you find out you don't really care for it you won't lose much money if you resell it.

Post to Thread