ESP Horizon FR-II vs Jackson SL2H

Updated
Nagash
I usually tend to like weird guitar shapes like offset Vs or Explorer-alikes, but this time I'm simply seeking a high-end superstrat guitar. After looking around, I ended up caught between the following two : the ESP Horizon FR-II and the Jackson SL2H. Common features : Neck-through, dual humbuckers, 24 frets, floyd rose. Exactly what I want (plus the trans red finish ^^) Main differences : ESP has Mahogany body and EMGs. Retail price : around 2100 $ Jackson has Alder body and Seymour Duncan pickups. Retail price : 2750 $ So if anyone has tried out BOTH guitars, give me an advice please ! One of my close friends owns the ESP so I know it quite well, but I have no access to the Jackson so I can't tell if it is even better. And please DON'T suggest other manufacturers (especially not Ibanez) cause I'm only interested in these two guitars.
Nagash

Maybe you haven't read the entire thread... I already said that I never buy used guitars. I know it sounds odd if I say I can't spend that much money, but to me a guitar (especially a high-end guitar) is something very personal, and I dislike the idea of somebody who has already used this personal thing.

MV-CTM

Maybe you haven't read the entire thread... I already said that I never buy used guitars. I know it sounds odd if I say I can't spend that much money, but to me a guitar (especially a high-end guitar) is something very personal, and I dislike the idea of somebody who has already used this personal thing.
ah I missed that part, shrug. I guess just save up then, if you aren't really sure you want it and get the wrong thing the feeling is awful.

Nagash

I guess it is...

Sorry people but no pics of my SV this weekend, I'm really not in the mood.

Nagash

Thanks a lot GFunk... I'm not going to start crying about my shitty life or something of that kind but I really have more important things to do than taking damn pictures.

brandono61cr

why cant sales like that come around when i am buying a guitar =(
that's like the price of a KE5 !!

Nagash

And it also has nothing to do around here... you're off the subject dudes. I know I'm a bugger with this but there are other threads or forums where you can talk about this.

Nagash

I checked the website. The SL2H is supposed to have the same specs than the SL1 (apart from the pickups) and the SL1 is equipped with "Die-cast tuners" like most USA's. No idea what these are, though...

Gfunk

Have you ever seen that movie The Bounty Hunter?

Completely unwatchable. Even with Aniston wearing a skirt during the entire movie.

brandono61cr

I checked the website. The SL2H is supposed to have the same specs than the SL1 (apart from the pickups) and the SL1 is equipped with "Die-cast tuners" like most USA's. No idea what these are, though...

well...the "Die-cast" tuners are also on the JS line :\:confused::\ they are good for that guitar, but if they are the same "Die-cast" tuners that are on the SL2H i would be kinda pissed-off. but that is assuming there are the same ....

if they are then , you are getting a decent quality tuner , they will get the job done , but that is it .i would want nothing short of the best machine heads on a guitar that is over 1 grand let alone almost 3. hell even the LTD deluxe series comes with locking tunes.

ESP tuners>Grover
Jackson (Js series)>Grover
Grover=fail

Shroony can you tell us what you think of yours ;)

load more replies (1 of 1)
Nagash

GFunk, I start to get really pissed at you. Same rule as with P.D., say something that ACTUALLY DEALS with the subject or shut up. You're nice, you're funny, but you sometimes get very annoying, don't be a complete arse and when people ask you to stop, just do it. You can talk about movies and post funny pictures from Google elsewhere than here.

As I said several times, I have a choice to make here, a pretty important one for me, so I really love it when people come and give sensible information, but YOU have posted nothing else than bullshit on the last few pages. Worst thing is, I know you are very clever and experienced, but instead of helping out, you just shit on people, which is pretty immature.

If I were really pissed at you, I'd post something like "Grow up dude" or something that sounds superior, that's not what I'm doing. I hope you understand what I say, take it seriously but please not as an insult.

xchumfiestax

:rollin

Beaten Beyond

The fact of the matter is that there has already been more than enough info already posted in this thread. Take what info has been given and make a choice that best fits your subjective needs.

I look forward to your NGD thread!

Pushead

As I said several times, I have a choice to make here, a pretty important one for me, so I really love it when people come and give sensible information,

I think the problem here is that your decision won't need to be made for quite a while since you don't have the money for the guitar. So instead of saying "I've decided to buy this guitar", you're worrying about all sorts of little things that have very little impact on how these guitars perform or feel, and none of which we could describe better than if you went out and tried a few guitars.

Meanwhile, we have Brandon giving out information that he's gotten from the web and his experience playing $500 guitars, and other people that have never even seen one of those guitars before. The only people here with the experience you demanded at the start of your thread are ChadT, Mushroomy and Piney Hills, and they gave you the practical answers in their first two or three posts.

If you're dead set on spending $2000 on a guitar, perhaps you should save another $100 or so and take a day to use Europe's far superior mass transit system to travel somewhere where they have both of those guitars in stock. Then you can make an informed decision on the guitars you would actually own.

And if you can't take a bit of playing around, you really are on the wrong web forum. If you think what Gfunk has given you here is annoying, you really don't want to post in the General Forum.

Frankie says relax.

Beaten Beyond

Can't believe I'm adding more to this thread...

Jackson USA Soloists come with Gotoh non-locking tuning machines that are re-labled with the Jackson logo.

ESP Horizon FR-II also comes with Gotoh non-locking tuners except the mounting tabs are straight whereas the tabs are angled on Soloists.

Functionally, they are equal. Locking tuners are not needed on guitars with a locking nut IMO. Actually locking tuners aren't needed on any guitar IMO to have solid tuning, but they can make re-stringing easier.

Beaten Beyond

BTW, how do the screws that hold the input jack in place on the SL2H compare to those on the FR-II?

Beaten Beyond

Pus, not sure if I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I currently own both an FR-II and a USA Soloist and that's what my comments were based on.

Pushead

You only replied 7 times, I barely remembered it. :lol

Beaten Beyond

You only replied once, I barely remembered it. :lol

Actually 7 times not counting today, but who's counting. :)

Pushead

I modified my previous post in an effort to give proper credit and credentials to interested parties.

Post to Thread