ESP Horizon FR-II vs Jackson SL2H

Updated
Nagash
I usually tend to like weird guitar shapes like offset Vs or Explorer-alikes, but this time I'm simply seeking a high-end superstrat guitar. After looking around, I ended up caught between the following two : the ESP Horizon FR-II and the Jackson SL2H. Common features : Neck-through, dual humbuckers, 24 frets, floyd rose. Exactly what I want (plus the trans red finish ^^) Main differences : ESP has Mahogany body and EMGs. Retail price : around 2100 $ Jackson has Alder body and Seymour Duncan pickups. Retail price : 2750 $ So if anyone has tried out BOTH guitars, give me an advice please ! One of my close friends owns the ESP so I know it quite well, but I have no access to the Jackson so I can't tell if it is even better. And please DON'T suggest other manufacturers (especially not Ibanez) cause I'm only interested in these two guitars.
Nagash

Okay no need to answer my last question, Google is my friend ^^. So where were we ?

Anyway thanks Gfunk for answering so fast !

Mushroony

@ Gfunk: Custom shop? I bet this isn't a standard...

brandono61cr

this is th profile of the wood grain on my ltd's neck

while this is my strat kramer copy neck

and my project jackson (mighty might ,meh..)

like i said i would post pics but the finish is too dark (trans black) to be captured by the camera
the other two have satin and toung-oil finishes ( like most strats )

brandono61cr

that is what i meant .LOL i can tell the differance beacuse my jackson copy neck looks like the pic on the left while the ltd looks like your jackson's neck and the pic on the right. but in the end it really dosent matter 'cause i think nagash is goin for the jackson which we can both agree on has a quatersawn neck !

Gfunk

Who cares?

Is there a perception that quartersawn is better than a 3-piece neck?

I am sure Jackson boy here will push that opinion.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Mushroony

Quarter sawn necks are more stable towards humidity and temperature changes, warping and twisting, which results in a better tuning stability

Gfunk

Quarter sawn necks are more stable towards humidity and temperature changes, warping and twisting, which results in a better tuning stability

So you are saying that a one-piece quartersawn maple neck is more stable and less susceptible to atmospheric changes than a 3-piece maple neck?

load more replies (2 of 2)
Nagash

Yeah he's a pure fail and he doesn't bring anything to the thread. I already told him to sod off, apparently he didn't get it. I'll try again.

In conclusion, the quartersawn maple seems to have more fans around here, I'll take this one as a plus point for the Jackson.

Mushroony

Yeah he's a pure fail and he doesn't bring anything to the thread. I already told him to sod off, apparently he didn't get it. I'll try again.

In conclusion, the quartersawn maple seems to have more fans around here, I'll take this one as a plus point for the Jackson.
More? I rather had the feeling i was the only one...

Nagash

No I don't think so, and I only count those who give intelligent arguments (which basically means I don't give a fuck about P.D.) and quartersawn seems to be the best quality, according to what I have read.

Now something new... The Horizon has an arched body top, whereas the Soloist doesn't (like an M-II for instance). What does this change ?

Gfunk

quartersawn seems to be the best quality

Tuning stability is a result of many factors and a good setup is the key. To say a one piece quartersawn neck has better tuning stability simply because it is quartersawn (compared to a 3-piece neck) is a load of hooey. Maybe in this particular instance, Jackson boy here got it right (setup wise) with his beloved Soloist, but has yet to find the right setup procedure for his Horizon. There are too many variables involved to pinpoint the exact reason.

Why are you considering neck-thru models, when the superior choice would be a bolt-on.

:\

load more replies (2 of 2)
Mushroony

Now something new... The Horizon has an arched body top, whereas the Soloist doesn't (like an M-II for instance). What does this change ?
Nothing. An archtop just looks nicer. I like the forearm cutaway on the soloist though. It feels more comfortable compared to the rather sharp edge of the Horizon.

Mushroony

I can't see the growth rings clearly enough, but from what i see i'd say it isn't.

brandono61cr

@ nagash the arched top thing is purely cosmetic , however you said you like to look good so the arched top would be better because the arched top catches the light better than a flat top . also i think my arm rests perfectly on the couture. it's very minor in the grand scheme of things tho.:\

@ shroony dont mind Gfunk :\ that is just him :lol

@ Gfunk i have heard you say you absolutely LOVE bolt-on's , but i have never really heard you say why? i am really interested to know ! could this be the thread where you finaly say why ?:lol
i guess subconsciously i have always connected neck-thru with higher quality , even tho i know that i should not do so

Mushroony

@ Gfunk i have heard you say you absolutely LOVE bolt-on's , but i have never really heard you say why? i am really interested to know ! could this be the thread where you finaly say why ?:lol
i guess subconsciously i have always connected neck-thru with higher quality , even tho i know that i should not do so
A (high quality!!!) bolt on gives you more sustain (barely noticeable, but it does). Put a floyd or other trem on the guitar and you will never notice any difference in sustain, add overdrive or distortion and again, the difference will be gone.

A high quality bolt on is also more aggressive in tone, has more bite, more highs, slightly more harmonics too.

I guess this is the reason why (many) people prefer bolt ons.

Reasons why people prefer neckthru's:
- because they THINK it has more sustain
- because of the more compressed, more wooly tone
- better upper fret access
- for the feel

Nagash

About the bolt-on/neck-through : it's true I believe neck-through gives better sustain, but I've never seen a bolt-on holding longer than my SV so... I'll stay with neck-through, also because of the other advantages.

Mushroony

About the bolt-on/neck-through : it's true I believe neck-through gives better sustain, but I've never seen a bolt-on holding longer than my SV so... I'll stay with neck-through, also because of the other advantages.
Nope, bolt on sustains better.

ESP

Why does no one realize that all the photos Gfunk posts are NOT bolt-ons... :lol

Pushead

Why does no one realize that all the photos Gfunk posts are NOT bolt-ons... :lol

MOD, you're pulling back the curtain.

Nagash

Still, neck-through gives me a better feel, better access to the higher frets, etc so in the end neck-through is still better

Nagash

I have no pics yet, we'll see if I can make some this week-end (I can't earlier, sorry).

and @shroony As I play metal, you will understand that I use distortion most of the time ^^ PLUS a floyd on both the Soloist and the Horizon(and my SV of course), so neck-through isn't negotiable anymore :).

Nagash

What the hell ? I have no camera, okay ? I don't need one, and I don't need pictures of a guitar that I can see every day, so no fail here dude... -__-'

Nagash

@Gfunk thanks a lot, that won't make the pics come faster ^^. This weekend, I said.

Could we come back to the ACTUAL subject ?

brandono61cr

@Gfunk thanks a lot, that won't make the pics come faster ^^. This weekend, I said.

got it !!

ok alder vs mahogany

alder is lighter and a little crunchier and foucuses on the higher mid range while mahogany is heavier (i like a heavy guitar) and has a "deeper" sound and lower mid spike .

Duncans will sound good in almost anything while i find EMG's only sound good in mahogany .

Gfunk

Yessir.

We are here to serve you.

Do you put mayonnaise on your pommes frites?

Post to Thread