KH 2 Vintage 2009

Updated
KH 2 Vintage 2009

Hi everyone,

My name is Alex from the Netherlands and I'm the lucky and very happy owner of this Kirk Hammett Vintage guitar that I bought from Bob (I refer to an earlier post by Jeunehomme, 2 months ago, I need you advice about a KH2 Vintage). I thought it'd be great if I posted some pics of the guitar.

I knew that the guitar was a used one and had its damages. Bob was a nice guy and immediately told me the truth. He showed me that he was the first owner. Surely you can see a few damages from him playing, but honestly, I didn't care. It's so goddamn relic, it just looks like a Fender custom shop stratocaster. I love it.

Bob had showed me some videos from 2011. The guitar was in the same condition, only the damage on the front pick-up was a bit bigger and he had bolted two new screws in the back plate. He also replaced one of the top lock screws. But so what!

I really like the relic finish of this guitar, especially the back. I never saw a guitar in this condition. As you can see mine was made in 2009. Are the KH 2 vintage guitars really built differently through the years?
Apparently so.

I also knew that the Floyd looked differently than the other Kirk Hammett Vintage guitars. To me, that makes the guitar more special than all the other vintage guitars in all those years. Big Daddy B previously said that they made a black nickel hardware version that looks corroded. Yes, yes, yes, i like it.
Was the black nickel version only made in 2009?

This was the answer from the ESP customer service in Germany.

Hello Alex,
many thanks for your email and congrats to this cool guitar. The distressed areas might slightly changed during the years - welll it's handmade. You're right re the interpretation of the serial number. But Feb 11th was the day where the guitar was finished and July 27th is the shipping date.

The black nickel hardware was mounted for aproxx 2 years only when the EU released a new law re the ingredients of coated metal parts and the hardware suppliers couldn't deliver EU conform black parts for a while.

Enjoy your guitar!

Best regards
Stefan Kühn
Product & Artist Relations Manager
Blackstar | DiMarzio | ESP Guitars | Eventide Guitar FX | SIT Strings | TECH-21 | ZOOM

Finally all these different things (much more relic, hardware in black nickel, 2009, Kiso, EMG 60/81) were the actual reasons for me to buy the guitar. I'm so very glad because I simply can't afford to spend between $5000 and $6000 for a guitar. Here in the Netherlands they have a 2015 version for €5100 ($5800).
So I'm an enormously lucky guy with my KH 2 vintage from 2009 with hardware that was only made for 2 years. Last but not least its the best instrument I have ever played.

Glad to meet you all.
Greetz Alex

Jeunehomme .

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your interesting post... I'm Jealous :-)

Enjoy with the Graal ;-).

Regards,

Nico

Alex K0907304

Hi Nico,

Thankx man, really appreciate this. Greetz Alex

Cas T.

Hey alex ! Thanks for your post , it was very interesting because i didnt knew much about this guitar , i bought myself a kh 602 last year at my 15 th birthday and going to age it and make a replica of this guitar! Greeting from the netherlands too ..Cas

Big Daddy B

Alex, congrats on the purchase. It is a fine guitar and all the wear appears to be cosmetic and should not affect playability at all. Sounds like you are fine with it's appearance and happy with the guitar overall. In regards to the damage though I would like to clarify some things....

Bob previously said

To Big Daddy B: Nothing is aftermarket, exept for your knowledge about my guitar. I used it once live as backup guitar, and the other times it has always been used in my bedroom.

It has been laying in its case for more than 3 years.

I would say base don my knowledge of seeing dozens of Vintage over the years I do believe this guitar has a significant amount of aftermarket wear (which you seem to like so that is good). Regarding the buckle rash by the back plate, ESP never fits their reliced guitars with worn back plates. The plates on this one are very scratched and you can see most of the scratches continue onto the body in the same line. This indicated to me it is buckle rash that eventually tore off the paint in that area. I would not expect to see such wear from a guitar that was "sed it once live as backup guitar, and the other times it has always been used in my bedroom." in addition I also stand by my conclusion the part missing the paint by the neck pickup is also not from the factory. I have never seen another KH-2 Vintage with that before and Kirk's actual guitar does not have that patch missing so I don't believe ESP would randomly introduce such a conspicuous feature.

I do agree with the comments from ESP there may be some variation in the damage from unit to unit but that should only be minor. This guitar has some significant differences. Again, my post is not meant to discourage your purchase as you seem very happy with it. I just don't believe the information Bob previously provided on the other thread is accurate. Others can feel free to weigh in as well. 

ESP 348

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the pics, the guitar looks amazing and is beat to hell.

I have nothing else to add, Big Daddy is correct with this reply.

I love the guitar, congrats and enjoy buddy.

Alex K0907304

Thankx Big Daddy B and ESP 348 for your comments, very nice. And you don't discourage me in the purchase, absolutly not.
I never thought I would be in the position to get a real ESP Custom shop Kiso guitar. And on top of that a bad ass relic Kirk guitar with black nickel hardware. It's like Chistmas, new year and my birthday fell on one day. (Meanwhile I fell in love with the relic headstock)

I love to share information and knowledge about the KH 2 Vintage guitars and folowed your comments earlier on the forum. I was very glad with the information from you both in that post from Jeunehomme. I did my homework and you guys helped me with it.

When I made my prepayment I told Bob that they where people talking about "mine future guitar" on the internet. The guitar was at that point not in my possession. This was the moment when I asked Bob if it was oke that I contacted ESP Customer service and ask some questions about the damages and hardware. That was also the moment that Bob responded on the forum. 

Bid Daddy B:
Of course you're right about the buckle rash by the back plate. Bob told me that. I knew it was a used guitar and this you can aspect. When he played that guitar in his bedroom perhabs he always wore a belt, I don't know.
Regarding to the amount of damages on the front and the back.

I believe to that Bob surely made his scrathes on the backplate and a bit on the body of the guitar. But look at these close up pics that I made, you can see the rounded scratches that made the builder (I guess). It looks very cool. Or maybe it was Bob who was bored and thought I'm 250 times turning the knobs. Well, Bob made a hell of a job.

The other pic is the result of the shinning sun with a filtercamera. Scratches allover the place. I like it.

Like a said earlier Bob showed me videos from 2011 and you can see clearly that there was a damage by the neck pick up. He bought the guitar in 2010 (I have the orginal receipt).

Does he have played the guitar so hard (in his bedroom or wherever) in one year (and than hardly ever played or whatever) that the paint has gone off at the neck pick up and the back of the body and at the same time made a thousand of scrathes?
Mmmmm, maybe, maybe not. We never know.
The only thing that I noticed was that the damage at the neck pick up had gone a little bit bigger. He admitted this.
I could not imagine that Bob additional damage inflicted to the guitar.

These are the only two pics I could find on the internet that came close to mine damages. I wonder which year this guitar was build? Perhabs ESP made this "beat up" version also for a few years?

I know that these amount of damages are NOT on Kirk's guitar but apparently ESP had made one. I like that amount of damages/relic finish. To me, it doesn't look necessarily the same as Kirk's guitar. The damages at these pics come close to mine, especially the back and side damages. What are your thoughts about it?

And I like "significant differences" ha, ha, especially the black nickel hardware and the amount of damages/scratches/relic finish on the whole guitar.

I like the corroded floyd.
Had Bob daily touched the tremelo and futhermore never wiped? It seems rather that Kirk did this, ha, ha.

The next picture you see that Bob was bored again and thought I'm gonna rip of the Hot Caution sticker. Bob did again a hell of a job. I like it.

Have a nice weekend,
Greetz Alex

Big Daddy B

Awesome pics Alex. I guess anything is possible. Is it possible ESP made Vintages with additional damage on thr front? Of course. Is it likely? I personally don't think so if the damage is very noticeable and doesn't match Kirk's. People are buying this guitar because they want one to look exactly like kirk's (that's really the purpose behind this guitar), not kinda like Kirk's if you know what I am saying. I will say though, yours definitely does have a lot of character and obviously is very special to you. Do you think you will keep the chrome hardware long term for the novelty or do you think you might eventually swap it out for black? Performance wise there should not be a difference but I always associate the Hammett guitars with black hardware so if it were me I would switch it (I do have other guitars with nickel or chrome hardware though). I wonder if you can get aged black hardware? I really hope you get more ESPs so we can see more awesome pics.

ESP 348

Great pics Alex and thanks for sharing your thoughts and messages with the original owner Bob.

I love my Vintage, it's ony of my favourite guitars. The tone and sustain is amazing as I am sure you are well aware.

I just had a look at mine, you can really tell the difference of how much wear and tear is on your guitar Alex.

For good or bad, I don't know. But it looks cool and as long as you're happy with it as it seems you are, then that is all that matters.

I haven't got any good pics of mine, here is the only one. Take a look at it, this guitar is 100% original and in mint condition. I don't remember which year it was built, I got it in around 2010 I think, but this guitar could be older.

NRudy

I'm so confused 

are these guitars hand made aged or machine distressed ? I think the Gibson Hammett custom shop Flying V is aged by an artist. 

I never saw a vintage this destroyed I'm glad u like it but I just got a 2011 I have ghe relic and I'm waiting for the 2015 they are well spaced out in years and they look like every other vintage like ESP like big dad b 

the one u have looks unique. As long as your happy enjoy it in good health! 

Cheers 

nathan 

NRudy

Why the chrome nobs ? Maybe fading after years to sunlight but says it was on a room for years in case .... Maybe the non us models don't have black hardware 

here's the 2011 kh-2 vintage 

it's a great guitar as good as any Kirk Hammett ESP but a drop less than the kh-20 I'm curious do the 2009 white ouijas and black ouijas made not for North America numbers 21-40 on the kh20

and numbers 26-50 on each color ouija have chrome hardware ? 

giovanni V.

hi really love it!

Alex K0907304

Thankx Big Daddy B, ESP 348 and Nathan for your very nice comments. Nice to see that more people are posting pics of their guitar.

Big Daddy B:
Yeah, I know. People are buying this guitar because they want one to look exactly like Kirk's. Is this actually possible? 

ESP 348 asked 2 months ago a very interesting question in that post from Jeunehomme: "I have always wondered if as the years go by, does ESP get Kirk's guitar each year to add to the "damage" done over the year to keep it 100% authentic?"

Let's assume that ESP does this (hmmm, I don't think so but you never know) than you will have every year a different model, right? At least every 2 to 3 years I hope.

Take a look at these pics and notice all the scratches, (little pic)damages, dings and dongs on Kirk's guitar. If I were to compare this with my guitar then ..... Well, Mr. Custom shop Kiso builder, you did a hell of a job but .... some damages/dings/dongs/relic finishes/pic damages match, some do not. And so it should.

Big damages, lots of little pic damages, dings and dongs, rusty screws and "Kirk's Guitar" sticker damages.

Little pic damages, rusty screws, relic finish at front pick-up and 24th fret, big dings and dongs, deep scratches and "Kirk's Guitar" sticker damage. Here I go again, I can not resist, ha, ha.... Bob was bored again and thought I'm gonna fuck up, destroy and tear up this stupid pussy guitar. (This was the last time, I'm sorry) 

Scrathes again all over the place and a lot of dings and dongs (see previously pic: result of a shinning sun with a filtercamera)

A very cool feature and one of my favourite relic parts is the relic "cable damage" finish right next to the Caution Hot sticker.
To Nathan: talking about handmade, I thought so.

Some relic finishes match, some do not. Especially the front not. But I like it very much. Makes me think of an Fender Stratocaster Custom shop (and further that Kirk always beats up his guitar to an amplifier, that's my imagination, ha, ha).

Here's another pic that I found from again a different relic finish. Looks also very cool.

Big Daddy B concerning the chrome (black nickel) hardware. I never change that, Hell No!
It's only made for aprox 2 years, makes the guitar unique from the other KH-2 Vintage guitars. Corroded and dirty, it suits the guitar. Again here has Mr. Kiso Guitarbuilder left a remarkable feature.

The relic finish on the 1st part of the bridge. It seems like on this precise spot Mr. Hammett puts his hand (Palm Muting). Cool.
In this pic you can see again the relic finish on the body (bridge).

Performance wise and that to me is the most important part I agree completely with ESP 348. Tone and sustain is indeed amazing. I'm very glad that I have a combination 81/60 instead of 81/81. I'm lucky that ESP has changed it in 2009 (pffff, just in time). 100% in tune. Playability: 9.5

And indeed ESP 348 and Nathan there are lots of differences (Thankx for the pics). I'm curious about the back of your guitars.

Thankx everyone for sharing.
Maybe everyone post pics of their KH-2 Vintage. Only than you can compare something.

Nathan I can imagine you're confused. So do I.
Questions in my mind are:
Are there differences between the European and American market?
Are the Vintage guitars maybe build in another factory from 2010/2011 to present? And from 2002 till 2009/2010? Are they all Kiso guitars? Maybe different builders?
(It seems that the guitars from 2010/2011 till 2015 are different built, less relic).
How many KH-2 Vintage guitars are built each year?

Maybe (I think) Big Daddy B can answer any of my questions, who knows?

Good night, sleep well everyone.
Interesting day.
Greetz Alex

Stonecat

That's a really cool guitar. A real players guitar! I myself would be proud to own such a rustic example. Thumbs up from me, Dude.

Big Daddy B
Stonecat wrote:

Questions in my mind are:
Are there differences between the European and American market?
Are the Vintage guitars maybe build in another factory from 2010/2011 to present? And from 2002 till 2009/2010? Are they all Kiso guitars? Maybe different builders? 
(It seems that the guitars from 2010/2011 till 2015 are different built, less relic).
How many KH-2 Vintage guitars are built each year?

Maybe (I think) Big Daddy B can answer any of my questions, who knows? 

Good night, sleep well everyone.
Interesting day.
Greetz Alex

Alex,

I will do my best. BTW good job finding pics of Kirk with the original and not one of his Vintages/relics. I am not 100% sure of the first pic but the rest are definitely of the original the series is modeled after. 

Are there differences between the European and American market? There was (as you found out) but not sure there is any more. I believe they now have reformulated the black hardware to comply with EU regulations.Here is a picture of what it should have looked like in the interim

(It seems that the guitars from 2010/2011 till 2015 are different built, less relic). As far as I know they were all built at Kiso but it is possible there were different builders. However, personally, I suspect at least some of the "damage" is machine made because most of the Vintages I see the damage is very similar or identical. That is different that if you look at say different specimens of the Gibson Collectors Choice series. The damages are similar but no 2 are exactly alike. I believe all their aging is done by hand, usually by Tom Murphy, and Dave Johnson before him. Fender likewise has builders do the aging like Vince Cunetto or John Cruz. My Jackson Rhoads was a one of a kind for the 2004 NAMM show that was aged by their master builder Mike Shannon, the guy that built Randy's guitars, to showcase what Jackson could do since it was recently acquired by Fender and could use the trademark Relic label.

How many KH-2 Vintage guitars are built each year? No idea. I couldn't even hazard a guess, someone from ESP would need to chime in. I don't see a ton of them on the market so my guess is the number is fairly low but I am basically seeing what is on the US market and a few used pices overseas. Not sure how many new would go to dealers worldwide. Again, would guess that number is fairly low since it seems even most US dealers don't actually have the guitar physically in stock and it would be a special order. I would think the guitar is not as rare as one of the previous limited edition series but definitely far less common than the standard bolt on KH-2.

ESP 348

Awesome pics of Kirk's actual guitar Alex, thanks for posting them up.

This guitar definitely raises a few questions doesn't it. Some VERY interesting questions.

If the damage is machine made, then they would all be nearly 100% exactly the same.

But I don't think so, it seems that some are different than others. Different years seem to be slightly different. Not unless it all depends on the person loading the guitar into the machine, getting the guitar sitting in exactly the right spot etc.

I also don't think they make too many each year. It's a shame ESP doesn't publish a yearly report or something of how many guitars they make etc. I bet if you ask them they wouldn't be able to tell you exactly, but I assume they would roughly know how many are made between the US and Japan each month.

I don't have a pic of the back of mine to post up at the moment Alex, but when I get it out one day soon I will take some more pics of it and post them  up.

Alex K0907304

Thankx Stonecat, really appreciate your comment. And you're right, I'm really proud to own this guitar. Especially because of the large differences that appear to be.

Big Daddy B:
Thankx man, very nice. Good homework. Thankx for the pic. Fact is that the Vintage guitars are manufactured differently since 2010/2011. I hardly dare to say; since 2010/2011 more machine made than handmade?? It would not really be oké, right?

For example: Do you guys (KH-2 Vintage owners since 2010/2011) have the "cable damage" manufactured?
Or another example: Look at the earlier posted pics from my headstock, unbelievable. It reminds me of the KH-2 Vintage limited 100 p (2001).
What about your headstocks? (the amount of relic finishes)

Another option might be that the guitars manufactured since 2010/2011 have the look of the "Vintages/relics". Like Big Daddy B said. The series is modeled after. Correct me if I'm wrong Big Daddy B. This are two pics from Kirk with his new Vintages/relics, right?

The guitar looks a lot more like the Vintage guitars that were built since 2010/2011. Quietly and calm. No "cable damage" or lots of scrathes, dings, dongs, ect. Not so fucked up like mine.

How do you guys think about it?

ESP 348, you're totally right. I totally agree with you comment. Maybe I contact Mr. Stefan Kühn Customer service Germany again. When I approached him, he responded within a day.
Like you previously said:
This guitar definitely raises a few questions doesn't it. Some VERY interesting questions.

And come on with those pics ESP 348, ha, ha. Big Daddy B I'm curious about your Vintage one.

Have a nice Sunday everyone, I'm going to play my guitar now. Cheers.
Greetz Alex

ESP 348

Mine is packed under my bed somewhere, I did label the hardcases but the stickers have all faded and fallen off. lol

Plus I am going away for 3 weeks holidays, I will get the guitar out when I get back to have a play, take some pics and oil it up.

You enjoy your Sunday also my friend, take care and talk soon.

Post to Thread