A New Twist on the Purple Sparkle

Updated
A New Twist on the Purple Sparkle

So..... I DO love the purple sparkle phase going on with Lars drums, and Kirk's purple sparkle as well but Kirk's is just another KH-2 and I've got a few of those.....so I one upped 'em! I'm an Explorer devotee, and more of a Hetfield fan so I did this...."

Tondog

Pushead

You had it painted, or you bought it that way? It looks killer.

*edit - Oh, it's one of those old Gothic guitars. Didn't see the inlay at first. Nice!!

Tondog

Yeah I rescued one of those old Gothics because I liked the fact that it had old Gibson ebony and no inlays for this one. The wood was great so I had Stike do his thing with the sparkle and was really impressed with how it turned out. Otherwise this old shell had been sitting in a corner collecting dust with that shitty half shiny matte finish that Gibson always did so poorly. Just a way to make good use of a good piece of wood that was otherwise hideous looking!

Blackened brass for the nut as well.

ESP 348

Lol, that's awesome man!! Well done.

Nathan S.

Whoa!!! That looks amazing Tonedog!! I really like the burst fade around the perimeter with the purple!

Nathan S.

Its funny, because I was just thinking tonight about a project kind of along the same line as that, probably way out of my price range but I was thinking of something made by RRR or someone like that, MX220 body shape, no pick guard, 84 gibson control layout, black TOM and stoptail, black Sperzels, Ebony board, brushed black chrome het set, body, neck, and head stock painted in 1970's Dodge Plum Crazy Purple. 

Tondog

Twas a great fun project but certainly not one that I would start off with a new build on. RRR could do it up right for you though! I have a thing for taking cheap Explorers and doing the "conversion" of putting the switch in the back where it belongs and then adding some better pickups. I went back to soldering the EMG's for this purple burst build though because it's just so messy doing the plug and play EMG's because you have to put the bus under the pickguard to get it all in without destroying it. You end up soldering length onto some of the cables at that point anyway.

tx-ogre

Looks great.  Job well done.

Road King

Very nice. Papa Het would be proud. Do you have a link to the painter?

Tondog

http://www.rowycokustoms.com/RK_home.html

Great guy to work with and did a fantastic job!

Road King

Oh yeah, I've seen that site. Just didn't recognize the dude's name.

Mazze F.

Guitar looks fantastic! :-) Nice work :-)

Are the Kirk Hammett pups any good??

Tondog

I've got a lot of Het Sets and wanted to put these into an Explorer and see how they reacted. Really well is the answer and they're a lot more sensitive than the Het ones and quite hot. You don't have to be aggressive in your picking at all with those and pinch harmonics happen really easily with the HOT KH's.

Post to Thread