ESP Ouija White

Updated
ESP Ouija White

What do you guys think of this one? Seems that it has extensive yellowing of the white finish... Still worth it? Kept in his case most of the time according to the seller. 

It is fairly close to me ...

https://reverb.com/be/item/17985417-esp-signature-kh-2-kirk-hammett-white-ouija-limited-run-metallica

Pims
kirkfan30 wrote:

What do you guys think of this one? Seems that it has extensive yellowing of the white finish... Still worth it? Kept in his case most of the time according to the seller. 

It is fairly close to me ...

https://reverb.com/be/item/17985417-esp-signature-kh-2-kirk-hammett-white-ouija-limited-run-metallica

Pls no, my gas problem do not need to increase #newyearsResolutions also close by

White ouija Yellowing is known

ESP 348

That actually looks decent to me. I have seen WAY worse lol.

Price is right for this guitar, but if you can make an offer and they accept it, then you will definitely get a sweet deal if you are interested in buying it.

I am sure mine is very similar to this one in regards to the 'yellowing' over time. Mine definitely lives in the case, has done so since 2011.

I purchased it new from the US, sat around for 2 years at a music shop of which I forget the name of now. *In Indianapolis* I am not sure if they had it on display or not in that 2 years. I would think they would have at some point.

Here is a picture of mine from around 18 months ago.

Pims

how does it play versus other kh2s?

ESP 348
Pims wrote:

how does it play versus other kh2s?

I don't remember. lol.

Only played it once or twice in that time.

But I do remember the neck is amazingly fast and very glossy on the back which I like.

kirkfan30

I think the yellowing reduces the value. I want one but prefer black... I already am going to buy a fully loaded mark 2c+ from a friend and another KL... price is correct yes. Not like the other one on reverb for 10k, that guy is high on smoke lol :-)

Sephiroth

It reduces the price for me as aesthetically it just doesn't look as good for me(Part of the reason I don't own one). I'm hoping I'll be okay with my 2014 White IC going off white. Hopefully that wont be as bad as it doesn't have bright white plastic on it that stays white.

Exchange rate is bad for me in the UK but i wouldn't buy it at it's current price. Might be better value for someone else in a different country.

What KL are you getting?

Raf

Not sure the yellowing would reduce the price ... if they all become yellow!

Anyway, I understand you, that’s why I’m also looking for a black one!

And for your info, I’ve been in contact with the seller of the other white Ouija (in UK).  Very friendly guy.  I asked him why it was so expensive! His explanation : he bought it in US for a decent price but had to pay a lot of customs and taxes.  Now he tries to get his money back ... but it’s a wrong calculation ;-)

kirkfan30

I talked to him too, good guy for sure. However one must understand while importing guitars one must pay Taxes and VAT. You will NOT be able to recuperate the money spend on those when you advertise something way above market price especially when there are plenty for sale all over the globe on every continent, you just need to be patient...

I am getting one of geronimos KL’s

macasser ebony top, snakewood fretboard and brazilian rosewood neck... very tasty! 

I also made a deal for his 2c+ ;-)! 

Very very nice guy to deal and talk with, I consider him a friend since we are talking gear and stuff for a couple of years now! 

bennyvh

I bought an 'original' ouija from 98 from him, also negotiated the price with him..
was good dealing with him, no issues, also informed about this one but no budget atm for another one

kirkfan30

I agree completely Raf. At some point you are just pricing it out of the market. It is a good guy for sure and I know the feeling of trying to recuperate your money but in hindsight he should realize it was a bad investment at the time if the taxes and VAT added such a surplus to the total cost of the guitar... Bad for him but you can not expect the next buyer to make the same mistake he did! That is just how the market works I'm afraid. Still I want a ouija but need to keep money for my future purchases with geronimo :-)

Raf

And he should sell quickly, because I wonder what will happen after the Brexit ... they will be out of EU, so other european guys will have to pay the taxes and customs!

When do you get your next KL?

kirkfan30

Exactly! Another good point Raf. With brexit this guitar surely becomes really hard to sell outside the Uk... if I were him I would set it a 6,5-7k euro and it should sell more easily. Bite the bullet and take the hit... 

next Kl is for sometime early 2020. Geronimo has so kindly agreed to keep it for me to buy when I have the funds. Surely even second hand with that kind of rare woods on it it will be 8k... the neck is pure brazilian rosewood over 100y old!!!

HateEvent

Keeping them in the case is what is causing them to go as yellow. It’s the same with white MX-250s and urban camo M-IIs.

ESP 348

Really? I thought it had something to do with the UV-light that was causing the clear coat to turn yellow over time.

Keeping them in the case is what would delay that effect I would have thought.

Well, I think they all go yellow over time of course, but obviously not noticeable on a black guitar lol.

HateEvent
ESP 348 wrote:

Really? I thought it had something to do with the UV-light that was causing the clear coat to turn yellow over time.

Keeping them in the case is what would delay that effect I would have thought.

Well, I think they all go yellow over time of course, but obviously not noticeable on a black guitar lol.

It is the gases from the paint that normally dissipate to 'atmosphere' (within the room!) that have nowhere to go when enclosed within the case, so it sits on the finish and causes them to turn. It is very noticeable on Explorers and some of the older Hanneman models especially!

Can't win it seems! 

kirkfan30

Already sold, that was quick :-) 

ESP 348

Sold!! Wow, that was quick alright.

Sephiroth

You notice that #2 has black trc (which I prefer) but also black cavity plates on the back? all the others have white don't they?

Looking at the case candy it came from drumcityguitarland originally.

ESP 348

Cheers mate, I never actually looked but I will take a look now.

Yeah, pretty sure the rest I have seen have white covers on the back.

Alamodome

Both are overpriced in my opinion, but #2 does appear to look better with the black covers. On COA I would have had Kirk sign the back of it but that’s just me. 

In any case they are both nice pieces.  

Post to Thread