NGD: KH-2

Updated
NGD: KH-2

Ever since the early 90's, Ive wanted an ESP KH-2 but for whatever reason never went there and ended up playing Gibsons. My curiosity always remained for the ESP guitars. 

Yesterday I changed that and picked up a 2000 model KH-2. Really happy with the way it plays and sounds and it wont be my last ESP based on this experience. 

Came with the original case, but sadly the COA is long gone. Id have loved to have that with the guitar.

Its in very good condition other than one chip on the top horn of the body.

And finally the KH-2 with my six year olds KH Jr.

Big Daddy B

Congratsand welcome to the board.

Guiguitarz

Yeah ! You won't be disappointed with that beast ! The real deal for sure ! Enjoy the guitar;

Welcome to the board Lenny !

Fat_Lenny

Definitely not disapointed. Very different feel to what I am used to and still working on the amp settings to get the most out of it.

Wish I had grabbed one a long time ago though. 

ESP 348

Welcome to the forum mate.

ESP make some of the best guitars in the world in my opinion and the KH2 ranks right up there.

Great guitars and I am sure that one will give you many years of enjoyment.

And I am sure your young fella will inherit the KH2 when he grows up and you will be onto your 2nd or 3rd ESP guitar by than.

Take care and enjoy your weekend Lenny.

Fat_Lenny

Thanks for the welcome. 

The young fella has already claimed it, dont worry about that. He was pointing out how upset he is that he doesnt have a trem on his. Ive already told him its his when he is big enough to actually play it. I learnt to play on garbage, he doesnt need to suffer the same fate.

The question then is, another KH-2 or a Hannaman? I need to be prepared for the hand over.

When I bought it, for what felt like a steal ($1,000 Australian $$$) I wasnt sure I was doing the right thing. Now I wish I hadn't sat on the fence for as long as I did. I'm amazed how much it makes some other guitars feel like a toy. Accoustically its awesome and plugged in even better. 

But you guys all knew that already.

ESP 348

You live in Aus Lenny?

$1000 is a steal man! I have seen people pay a lot more for them in worse condition.

But we do pay a lot more for guitars here in Australia also.

If you can afford a Hannaman, definitely get one. They are awesome guitars too.

Fat_Lenny
ESP 348 wrote:

You live in Aus Lenny?

$1000 is a steal man! I have seen people pay a lot more for them in worse condition.

But we do pay a lot more for guitars here in Australia also.

If you can afford a Hannaman, definitely get one. They are awesome guitars too.

yep, In Newcastle. 

ESP 348

Very good! A long way from me here in Mount Isa, QLD.

Fat_Lenny

Question for people with the newer KH-2. How do you find the EMG 60 in the neck compared to the EMG 81 int he neck of what I have?

Big Daddy B

My preference would be the 85 in the neck. That is what I had in my old 1992/93 KH-2

ESP 348

81 all the way bruss!

Nah, the 60 has a gorgeous tone to it, not too sure I have heard an 85 in the neck in person.

Fat_Lenny

I'm going to stick with the 81/81 set up for now, but will probably look to get either an 85 or 60 for the neck at some point in the future. 

I saw curious about the actual age of the guitar so I contacted ESP Customer Support to try and date the guitar. Based on the Guitars Collector website it is around 2000. ESP's response was that they dont have detailed records for the guitars pre-2005 but based on the photos and the serial numbers (headstock and neck plate) it would be some time in the late 90's out of Japan. Near enough to 2000 for me. 

Actually really impressed that ESP actually go to the trouble to answer these types of questions and do it pretty quickly. Its another touch that will see me grab another some time in the future. 

ESP 348

ESP have a pretty good customer service these days. They are getting better and better which is great to see.

I have 81/81 in my old KH2, but I really enjoy the 81/60 combo in some of my other KH guitars.

Take care and enjoy Lenny.

Post to Thread