Best beginners guitar and amp for playing metal?

Updated
moddy
Hello every one. I have never played a guitar in my life but will be learning as soon as i get my hands on it. I am about to go and purchase a new guitar, so before doing that I thought of asking you guys to give me some suggestions. I love Metal, and want the best ESP guitar that i can practice on as a beginner(budget is 200-250$ for guitar). Also please tell me which amp should i buy, bcoz most of the time i will be playing in my bedroom and want something that will give me good sound. Last question for u guys, do i need to upgrade to better pick ups? Please help me out here. I am a total noob. A friend told me to go for any one of these> like the LTD F 50 or the LTD EX 50 but still want suggestions from all of you because then only i will be convinced.
moddy

Andrei and others, thank you for the guidance. I kinda still haven't really got an appropriate answer regarding the Ibanez RG321MH. How do you all feel about it as a beginners metal guitar when you compare it with various other LTD guitars which belong to the same league? Just need to know if its something i should buy or not.

Justin

No
Don't get the ibanez. I was going to get it as my second guitar, until i played it. The neck is crap for beginniners. Pups weren't the worst but aren't worth the money. And the trem just going to cause problems. You're better off with one of the 50 - 100 series than a RG. I played a viper 50, wasn't too bad. Great guitar to start with.

Mr Pigwalk

How the hell is that trem going to cause problems? My very first and second guitar were both Ibanez's, loved them both and regret selling the second one. If that RG321 is par with my old RG270DX then you're going to LOVE it.

Justin

How the hell is that trem going to cause problems? My very first and second guitar were both Ibanez's, loved them both and regret selling the second one. If that RG321 is par with my old RG270DX then you're going to LOVE it.

Well one, he's a beginner, so he's not going to know how to adjust the trem/ fine tune etc
And 2nd, each time i played it, it gave me problems. Like it was too loose, and would go out of tune about every 4-5 wanks >_>

Justin

Oh >_<
I mis-read
I was thinking of that white RG
350 or something like that >_>
Never played the rg 321, but the 7321 was decent.

moddy

i think the 321MH would work just fine now that i really look at it. very solid starter guitar. if you get sick of the tone after a while thrown some dimarzios in there. could even be a keeper!

Ok, i am now almost convinced.
1) The Ibanez RG321MH comes with standard dimarzio designed pickups. So which ones are you talking about? If i want typical InFlames kinda sound then which type of pick ups will do the magic?

2) What will i need as an upgrade to keep the tuners in tune if they go out of tune like what Justin said. (Note: Ibanez RG321MH has non locking tuners)

3) What is the meaning of locking nuts on the head?

4) Is the bridge good enough on the RG321? If not then which one should i put that wont make me tune the guitar all the time.

If there is any other upgrade apart from the pick ups that you all feel i must be knowing about then let me know. I can spend more if every one here thinks its worth spending on something good that i wont regret. Words comin out from you all will be like the final verdict i will need.

TaoZen

If you have never played before, do not buy a guitar with a locking tremelo (floyd rose) it takes a long time to master how to set them up properly, to keep them in tune, to find a string maker that has good quality control so that the tension of the strings are consistant from pack to pack. A bad pack of strings will screw up the angle at where the trem floats and cause the string height from the fretboard to be inconsistant.

Go with a fixed bridge or what is also called a hardtail. Learn to tune and play your guitar to intermediate level before you progress to a locking trem.

Most students I have taught that bought a LT (locking trem) got so frustrated with trying to keep it in tune and contantly bringing it to me to set it up and tune it for them, a lot of them would quit out of frustration. Also noobs will overtighten the clamps and strip out the threads which will cause costly repairs.

Buy a better quality guitar used. Have another person you know who is a player check it out with you, preferably someone who has played electric guitars for longer than a decade. Feel and sustain is something that you notice better with experience. Also an experienced player will know what to look for (straight neck, lots of meat left on the frets etc).

load more replies (1 of 1)
Butch

I disagree with the fact the "you should get a fixed bridge" as a beginner guitar. My first real guitar is a kh202 which has a floyd rose bride in it and it has not stopped or held back my learning. If anything it has helped me out alot as i now know alot about floating bridges. My buddy had a rg370dx as his 1st guitar and it was amazing, he didn't have much problems either, another friend has a lower end ibanez S series which a different type of floating bridge (edge whatever its called) and he has become a phenomenal player. It is no rocket science in learning how to tune, change strings and adjust tunings on a floating bridge. There are any websites that give you a comprehensive explanation on how to do it, and many people here may also be able to help you out.

Now if it is you know that you really want a fixed bridge and you have no desire to use a trem or to learn how, then by all means go right ahead and get one. But do not rule it out as a possibility just because you are a beginner.

Justin

I disagree with the fact the "you should get a fixed bridge" as a beginner guitar. My first real guitar is a kh202 which has a floyd rose bride in it and it has not stopped or held back my learning. If anything it has helped me out alot as i now know alot about floating bridges. My buddy had a rg370dx as his 1st guitar and it was amazing, he didn't have much problems either, another friend has a lower end ibanez S series which a different type of floating bridge (edge whatever its called) and he has become a phenomenal player. It is no rocket science in learning how to tune, change strings and adjust tunings on a floating bridge. There are any websites that give you a comprehensive explanation on how to do it, and many people here may also be able to help you out.

Now if it is you know that you really want a fixed bridge and you have no desire to use a trem or to learn how, then by all means go right ahead and get one. But do not rule it out as a possibility just because you are a beginner.

Yeah, i agree for the most part. But some people just aren't driven to learn that bad. They'd end up getting mad cause they can't figure out how to change the strings and give up. I think if the person is really intrested in learning, then a trem would be better since they have more desire to learn how things work
Or, theres always a vintage trem :P

ESPANDY16

yeah the guys are right on with the micro cube they are great if you wanna start playin metal cause they hav good effects already on them

and when it comes to a beginer guitar just go ahead and pick something youll like to play, that way youll be more likely to pick it up cause the begining is really hard, so if you wanna go ahead and get like an alexi 200 if your into Vs, or a nice ec, or what ever you like itll pay of in the begining i would also recomend this becuse you can always switch the pickups and these guitars will grow with you

if you intend to play all types of music grab yourself a good acoustic
cause itll help you learn basics and you can branch out (this is how i started by the way)
well what ever you chose i hope you hav fun and rember to stick to it! :]

moddy

How would you all rate these pick ups as the best ones for playing metal? (bridge=?, neck=?)
Seymore Duncan Invader, EMG, Dimarzio, air norton .......or any other brand that i have not mentioned.

Piney Hills Music

i would go with a Schecter Omen 6 and a Spider III 30 watter

it would run you about 500 total

moddy

what strings are good if i want to change from my stock ones.

Justin

what strings are good if i want to change from my stock ones.

It's all personal opinion
I perfer Daddarios
1. Good tone
2. The ball ends are colored xD

sirsloop

trem or no trem....

as a beginner, you are going to have so much to learn that you probably wont even be able to use the trem tastefully. My first guitar had a floyd rose and I wish I had a hard tail. Most of the time I simply left the bar handing down, all for show. It takes me 10 seconds to change from standard to drop D on my MH250NT, but thats a 15 minute job on a floyd rose if you are lucky. You gotta hope you left enough room on the microtuners, then go through the strings 6 times tuning while the tensions equal out. If you didn't leave enough room you have to break out the wrench, loosen the lockers, adjust the tuner, then go through the whole thing. You have to remember that going from standard down to drop-d will lower your bridge too, so you may get fret buzz from even that simple change. Its absolutely doable by a beginner proof here, but as a beginner, I think you would rather spend your time actually learning to play than maintaining the guitar. You'll have PLENTY of practice on maintenance over the years. As a personal preference, I like the look without the trem, and I like the feel of the strings going down rather than feeling the trem going up.

moddy

trem or no trem....

as a beginner, you are going to have so much to learn that you probably wont even be able to use the trem tastefully. My first guitar had a floyd rose and I wish I had a hard tail. Most of the time I simply left the bar handing down, all for show. It takes me 10 seconds to change from standard to drop D on my MH250NT, but thats a 15 minute job on a floyd rose if you are lucky. You gotta hope you left enough room on the microtuners, then go through the strings 6 times tuning while the tensions equal out. If you didn't leave enough room you have to break out the wrench, loosen the lockers, adjust the tuner, then go through the whole thing. You have to remember that going from standard down to drop-d will lower your bridge too, so you may get fret buzz from even that simple change. Its absolutely doable by a beginner proof here, but as a beginner, I think you would rather spend your time actually learning to play than maintaining the guitar. You'll have PLENTY of practice on maintenance over the years. As a personal preference, I like the look without the trem, and I like the feel of the strings going down rather than feeling the trem going up.

Thank you for those kind words. You have really motivated me.

moddy

BTW, i just want to be clear on something. What is the purpose of having a switch on the guitar? I know its used to switch between the neck and bridge pick ups, but when to use what?

sirsloop

Each pup gives a different tone... usually the neck pup is warmer and the bridge is crisper and picks up harmonics better. For metal playing, lots of people use the bridge exclusively. Some people solo on the neck pup because it gives a smoother tone.

moddy

Each pup gives a different tone... usually the neck pup is warmer and the bridge is crisper and picks up harmonics better. For metal playing, lots of people use the bridge exclusively. Some people solo on the neck pup because it gives a smoother tone.

Thanks man.

Post to Thread