Best beginners guitar and amp for playing metal?

Updated
moddy
Hello every one. I have never played a guitar in my life but will be learning as soon as i get my hands on it. I am about to go and purchase a new guitar, so before doing that I thought of asking you guys to give me some suggestions. I love Metal, and want the best ESP guitar that i can practice on as a beginner(budget is 200-250$ for guitar). Also please tell me which amp should i buy, bcoz most of the time i will be playing in my bedroom and want something that will give me good sound. Last question for u guys, do i need to upgrade to better pick ups? Please help me out here. I am a total noob. A friend told me to go for any one of these> like the LTD F 50 or the LTD EX 50 but still want suggestions from all of you because then only i will be convinced.
moddy

hmmm thats kind off a tough budget to work with. for the guitar however i would say the M-103. but i would honestly save up a bit more. there are plenty of amps though. the Roland Microcube is probably the safest bet.

Well i can spend a bit more but then which guitar do you recommend apart from the M-103? The LTD F 50 and the LTD EX 50 are not good for a noob like me? Just want the best beginners guitar out there to play metal

Nostradamus

Honestly, I would wait till you can afford a 400 or better series LTD. Then you will have a guitar that you can grow into rather than one you will be disappointed with in a few years anyway. Schecter also make very good mid-range guitars that are very solidly made and would be a good guitar to upgrade at a later time with better pickups. As for amps, as someone mentioned, the MicroCube is an awesome little practice amp.

moddy

Honestly, I would wait till you can afford a 400 or better series LTD. Then you will have a guitar that you can grow into rather than one you will be disappointed with in a few years anyway. Schecter also make very good mid-range guitars that are very solidly made and would be a good guitar to upgrade at a later time with better pickups. As for amps, as someone mentioned, the MicroCube is an awesome little practice amp.

Which Schecter series guitar are you talking about? and will i be needing a distortion pedal?

Gil

not with a microtube. My friend had one and on top of it having great tone. ( the models although somewhat generic sounded real good for an amp of that size.) it was battery powered so you can play without being tethered to a wall :). you don't need a distortion pedal in front of the amp to get a good distorted tone off it. A good bang for your buck and definitely a good practice amp that won't piss your wife/gf/kids off when you play late at night.

fixxxer

If you've never played before I'd suggest starting out on an acoustic... I know you won't get the metal sounds you want but it will set you up for being able to play much better.

It really strengthens your fingers and gets em used to strings... then when you move over to an electric you'll find it so much easier.

I do all of my practising on my semi acoustic.... really does help.

Justinschut

IMO starting on acoustic is bullshit. I started on acoustic and quit after a while because it bored me. A while later I started on electric and I really got going fast. If you want to Rock, play electric.

About guitars.. the 400 series are great, but you dont NEED a 400 series when you're just starting. The 50 and 100 series arent pieces of crap that are impossible to play. Just get whatever you can afford with your budget (Id go for LTD with no trem)

As for Amps... either a Line 6 Spider II or III or a Roland Cube 15 or Cube 30 something like that

moddy

IMO starting on acoustic is bullshit. I started on acoustic and quit after a while because it bored me. A while later I started on electric and I really got going fast. If you want to Rock, play electric.

About guitars.. the 400 series are great, but you dont NEED a 400 series when you're just starting. The 50 and 100 series arent pieces of crap that are impossible to play. Just get whatever you can afford with your budget (Id go for LTD with no trem)

As for Amps... either a Line 6 Spider II or III or a Roland Cube 15 or Cube 30 something like that

Thank you all for your expert advise.
You say that you would go for LTD with no trem, but what model is that, can u please specify. I really need to buy one ASAP by tomorrow.

Butch

I'd second the mh250, or maybe a m200 if you want a trem.

Justinschut

yeah the mh250 could be a good choice. Just try a couple and see which you like. If you got around 400 you can get a 200 series, if not get a 100 series, whatever you can afford. Of course those are new prices, if you look at used guitars you can get better quality for less money ;) I would avoid tremolo/whammy bars, because its extra hassle which you dont need when you're starting.. and cheap guitars have crappy tremolos.

Chaz88

Mate, save your cash and get a ?-50 series model like the F-50 or the EX-50 or something. For the price they kick ass!! I've been playing for 4 years and I have several guitars now and I still play the F-50 the most, it's comfortable, looks great and even though it's still stock in terms of pickups it packs a pretty damn decent sound. The ?-50 series guitars are nothing to avoid or be ashamed of, they will serve you well and last you a lifetime.

In terms of an amp I'd say a Microcube like the others, get one that fits your budget and just cut sick.

ZULND3R

i know people are gonna knock me for saying this... but at that price point, a Line 6 is a good place to get started for an amp (the spider 3's). As a beginner's amp, you can't beat them for the price. I started with them and loved it then (Granted ive moved onto much bigger things since then). But just to get started... a spider III is great

moddy

Thank you all for the lovely feedbacks. Just one more thing, what are your impressions when it comes to the Ibanez RG321MH Electric Guitar? I have heard that its a pretty awesome guitar for its price. Please let me know

konan

i'd highly recommend to buy used gear, that's so much easier for a beginner with only little budget. instead of getting a new one with shitty pickups, go for an used one with decent pickups for example.

Mr Pigwalk

Dude, I sure as hell didn't know what shitty pickups were when I was a beginner. After having shitty pups, and upgrading to good pups did I figure out the difference.

rscornutt

I have the M100FM and it is a great guitar. The stock pups are fine and you can easily upgrade in the future. It has a licensed Floyd Rose double locking trem, which works great. It is an easy guitar to play (easier then my Strat) and easy to upgrade parts until you are ready to drop big bucks on a guitar. I highly recommend it, this from a player of 24 years.

As far as amps, I would tell you to try Behringer. They have small 15 watt amps that sound good, and the larger ones sound good too, and both have headphone jacks. The larger ones have built-in effects so all you need to begin to learn (other than the guitar and amp) would be some picks, cables, and a book of guitar chords.

If you shop wisely, you could have everything you need for a good while (especially if you find a good used amp) and not go broke. Honestly, check out the M100.

sirsloop

MH250NT and a Line6 Spider III 75.

I wouldn't cheap out on the guitar. There's no fun in trying to play on a wack gat. Also, I highly recommend no-trem. You'll end up spending half your time keeping it in tune, and it makes it very hard to try other tunings out. If you're playin metal, you'll most likely be drop-c... but for starters you may want to leave it in drop-d so you can easily switch to standard, learn chords, barre chords, etc. When you wanna beat on the thing all you gotta do is drop the low string and you're rockin 1 finger metal style power chords. This will also allow you to learn on lighter gauge strings. Playin drop C on standard 9's or 10's is like tryin to play cooked spagetti.

moddy

Thank you everybody. Well, i got just a few more things that i feel i should ask you fellaz before i make a hasty decision. I am gonna pick up any one from the the three guitars.
My Guitar teacher says that i must buy the LTD MH-50 or the MH-100(both comes with tremolo)...on the other hand there is a very close friend of mine who says to go in for the Ibanez RG321MH(without tremolo and non locking tuners).

1) According to my teacher the MH series is a combination of both the M and the H. Is the Ibanez RG321MH, LTD MH-50 or MH-100 in the same league if i compare it?

2) I dont even know which series is superior, is it the F, M, MH, MH-NT or the MH-QMNT?. I want a feature packed guitar. Please enlighten my brain

3) If i were to buy an expensive guitar with a one time investment like the 400 series of ESP-LTD or some other brand, then which model you all think will be best?(things like a comfortable neck and other aspects that make a good fast metal guitar)

To be frank with u all, i am still extremely confused. I don't want to regret later and put my self in depression. PLEASE GUIDE ME

andrei

F, M, MH, MH-NT, EX and so on, are models.
the series are 50-400/500, 1000.

50 = low end; 400, 1000 = high end; (speaking about LTD)

as a beginner i think you don't realy know what you like and/or want to play and 'till you figure that out, start with something cheap and versatile.

i'd recomand a fixed bridge 50 series.
the EC is a... comon/versatile shape... the MH-NT also.

the EX... is not for everyone, especialy cose it's neckheavy.
(meaning: unbalanced when played standing; the neck dropps)

if you like the F, stick with that.
i like it myself; looks well balanced.

i'd say that after some months/years of playing and developing skill/technique, you'll know where you're heading and what particular model suits you.
(this way you'll also appreciate the superior quality of the high end series)

at this moment you may consider to invest in a superior amp (for the long run).
(else: go for cheap)

it all comes down to: how much money you are willing to spend at this moment, for this new hobby of yours.

good luck,

andrei.

Post to Thread