Looking to get into ESP

Updated
ZULND3R
Hey Everyone, I'm new to these forums and am looking to get into ESP guitars. I have been an Ibanez player for several years and have grown tired of their guitars. I have recently been looking for a new, higher end instrument and have been dissappointed with Ibanez's features and selection. This has lead me to ESP (as well as a couple other companies such as Schecter). I have been looking at a few different models that I am interested in. MH-400NT and the MH-1000NT. Both of these guitars have MUCH better specs than Ibanez guitars that are similarly priced. My question for you all is related to the overall build quality of these two guitars, as well as your overall opinion of them. Unfortunately, where I am located (in the middle of freakin' nowhere) I have no access to any guitar stores around me so normally when I order a new guitar, I can only go by what others say and order online. Thanks for all your help!
LOL

Welcome to the boards, man.
I'm from Ohio as well. There's one other member here that is too...
But, the quality will not let you down bro. They're great guitars. They play awesome. Just get one, you'll be glad you did.

ZULND3R

I've heard a ton of great things about them, not to mention, the LTD series appears to be the best bang for the buck out there. I have just been getting tired of Ibanez's quality going down while their prices are going up... which is why I'm here

LOL

imo, Ibanez sucks. I've never liked them, just because of the name, and everyone and their brother owns one.
What part of Ohio are you from?

ZULND3R

i'm originally from cleveland, and i go back there once in a while, but right now im going for my doctorate so i've been here at college in the middle of nowhere for the past four years (only 4 more left)

njrusmc

MH 400 NT is awesome. I own one and I am very happy with it. Check my pics in the Post Your LTD's thread.

ZULND3R

what pups does the MH-400NT have stock? is that the 81/85 Combo?

njrusmc

Correct, I swapped the 85 for a 60 personally, but the 85 is great.

ESPRockBeast

I think most people will tell you they're very well made guitars at their price (ESP fans or not)

The big question now is whether to get active or passive pickups. You can get the 1000s in a set of Duncans if you're not into actives.

ZULND3R

i know thats why im torn between the MH-1000NT and the MH-400NT.... i can't decide yet if I want actives or passives... I like both of the pickup configs on each of the guitars...

njrusmc

I personally prefer EMG's over SD's. I own a guitar with both and the SD JB just does not have the attack the EMG 81 offers. Thats just me, though.

Gil

I use my guitars for different things. Seeing as how my ltd came with neither emgs or a '59/jb combo I like to think I got a good deal :). interestingly enough I was at a guitar shop yesterday and I saw the same model of my guitar with black hardware ( mine is like a grey/black chromey hardware) and the inlay on it was a little less sparkley. I guess that was the cosmetic blemish they were talking about.

ESPRockBeast

SD JB just does not have the attack the EMG 81 offers.

That might be true, but the JB is by no means the end all of pickups, but it's a good place to start (passive-wise). EMGs have a very cold, hard tone that doesn't work for everyone, passives are usually a little more organic and all purpose (Seymour, Dimarzio, EMG, Rio Grande, Rockfield, Bare Knuckle, etc....)

takesnogutz666

i own an mh-400 (with a floyde) and it's the best guitar i've owned.

ZULND3R

i have several other guitars that have passives already, and while i like them, i have a guitar that has two 81's in it that i love. I will admit that it sounds a bit "sterile" compared to the other pups, but besides that I have nothing to complain about. I think its probably about time I added another guitar w/ actives to my collection. Thanks for the help guys.

Gil

actives work for us because we're cold and sterile people ;).

guenzka

actives work for us because we're cold and sterile people ;).

I like actives but I'm not sterile.....at least i don't think i am......

njrusmc

Agreed about the cold, harsh tone. That is exactly why I like them for the most part. I just dont care for the diminished attack of MOST passives, sure the SD JB isnt #1 by any means of passive pickups, but compared to an EMG, no way. I prefer the cut clarity of EMG pickups.

ZULND3R

Agreed about the cold, harsh tone. That is exactly why I like them for the most part. I just dont care for the diminished attack of MOST passives, sure the SD JB isnt #1 by any means of passive pickups, but compared to an EMG, no way. I prefer the cut clarity of EMG pickups.

This is why I'm leaning towards the MH-400... because I already have an Ibanez which has duncans in it (SH-6 distortion in the neck and a SN-2 jazz in the neck) which is relatively similar to the MH-1000 setup (JB/59') so I'm prolly gonna end up getting the MH-400. Not to mention i think all the inlays around the MH-1000 are a bit too much IMO.

evilaudio

Hey Everyone,
I'm new to these forums and am looking to get into ESP guitars. I have been an Ibanez player for several years and have grown tired of their guitars. I have recently been looking for a new, higher end instrument and have been dissappointed with Ibanez's features and selection. This has lead me to ESP (as well as a couple other companies such as Schecter). I have been looking at a few different models that I am interested in. MH-400NT and the MH-1000NT. Both of these guitars have MUCH better specs than Ibanez guitars that are similarly priced. My question for you all is related to the overall build quality of these two guitars, as well as your overall opinion of them. Unfortunately, where I am located (in the middle of freakin' nowhere) I have no access to any guitar stores around me so normally when I order a new guitar, I can only go by what others say and order online. Thanks for all your help!
So, the ZULND3R is looking to be a Convert too, eh?
You want the MH-XXXNT? I'm telling you, if they made an RG with a tune-o-matic.....I woulda stayed.

Justin

Well, my second ESP came in the mail yesterday. And I couldn't be happier with it. It's an ESP FX 260, i had a little money left over and thought'd it'd be fun to mess with. I also own a Viper 400. Both guitars never get old playing. I used to adore Ibanez, well until i got an esp xD. You won't be disappointed, especially with a 1000 model. All esp's have amazing quality and tone. Ever since i got an esp, i haven't laid eyes on Ibanez.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Post to Thread