Which strings for...

Updated
Which strings for...

Hi all,

I have an LTC EC-2005 (30 years anniversary) and an LTD H-1000 Deluxe, both with EMG81 pickups. On my EX-2005, I have 10-13-15-26-36-46 strings, and it is tuned in a half step down (Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb) and I feel that the strings are a little too much flabby. For the Deluxe, I don't know it exactly which strings are on it but I'm tuned in drop C# (C#-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb).

So the situation is that we need to tune our guitars in my band, again, a half step lower in order to play in D (D-G-C-F-A-D) and drop C (C-G-C-F-A-D). I'm looking for a normal or classic "string-tension" and I whish that the 3rd (normally G string) keeps being "plain steel" (no nickel wound).

1. Which strings do you suggest for the EC-2005 in D (D-G-C-F-A-D) as 10-13-17-26-36-46 is a little too flabby for me?

2. Which strings do you suggest for the Deluxe in drop C (C-G-C-F-A-D)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

JB

Pushead

In that situation, I'd go with a .011 set for the D Standard, the same set with maybe a separate low E string if you don't like the feel with the dropped C.

I use Ernie Ball a .012 set for C standard which has a .024 plain G string.  Looking at their site, they have a "Beefy Slinky" set (yellow package) that is .011, .015, .022 (plain), .030, .042, .054.  That's where I'd start.

Though they have a set in between, the Beefy and the set you're using now called the "Power Slinky" (purple package) .011, .014, .018, .028, .038, .048.  Maybe that's a better place to start since jumping up to the Beefy might be a pretty big change.

The G.

Personally, I use piano strings anymore, but that's some sound advice from Pus. On my Epiphone '59, I'm sporting the Not So Slinky set(green pkg) and have replaced the .56 with a .74 or .78. Its tuned Db?, or which ever lets you do drop B. Normally thickening the set should give more tension, but you're going to need to redo the intonation.(IIRC, moving the saddles back towards the rear of the guitar)

Post to Thread