• deus ex machina

^Schecters have 89R's as neck pickups. The R just means the single coil is in the opposite side compared to regular 89's.

Anyway, on the debate about wether passive EMG's suck or not... I think everyone who says they suck is because they're wanting the passive EMG's to sound like the active ones. Passive EMG's don't sound like active EMG's. I have only tried the H1 and H4 from the passives.

The H4 which is supposedly the "passive 81" only sounds like the 81 in the sense that it's got a tame, kinda rolled-off low end. The H4 is MUCH lower output than the 81, and hence, it's not nearly as saturated, agressive, and cutting-sounding. It hasn't got a particularly good clean tone either since it's kinda dry-sounding.

The H1 I remember actually liking as a neck pickup, but it's been a while since I've tried one, TBH.

In other words, EMG HZ's aren't TERRIBLE pickups in the sense that they're not particularly noisy or too muddy-sounding, but if you're wanting the tone from actives, they're not going to sound like that. If you want passives, I can say you'd probably be more pleased with pickups from Duncan or DiMarzio.

JMO.

Ohh, and Alexi Laiho hasn't got a "signature pickup", just a signature set which includes just a plain old H2 and a custom boost knob, AFAIK.

• Guitar God

^Schecters have 89R's as neck pickups. The R just means the single coil is in the opposite side compared to regular 89's.

Anyway, on the debate about wether passive EMG's suck or not... I think everyone who says they suck is because they're wanting the passive EMG's to sound like the active ones. Passive EMG's don't sound like active EMG's. I have only tried the H1 and H4 from the passives.

The H4 which is supposedly the "passive 81" only sounds like the 81 in the sense that it's got a tame, kinda rolled-off low end. The H4 is MUCH lower output than the 81, and hence, it's not nearly as saturated, agressive, and cutting-sounding. It hasn't got a particularly good clean tone either since it's kinda dry-sounding.

The H1 I remember actually liking as a neck pickup, but it's been a while since I've tried one, TBH.

In other words, EMG HZ's aren't TERRIBLE pickups in the sense that they're not particularly noisy or too muddy-sounding, but if you're wanting the tone from actives, they're not going to sound like that. If you want passives, I can say you'd probably be more pleased with pickups from Duncan or DiMarzio.

JMO.

Ohh, and Alexi Laiho hasn't got a "signature pickup", just a signature set which includes just a plain old H2 and a custom boost knob, AFAIK.
      OK. But, dude, you're wrong about the Hellraiser having an 89R. It just says "81TW/89" on their site and MF. I'm sure if it had the 89R it would say "89R", instead of "89". Not trying to start anything. And I may be wrong, but are you sure it's just a regular H2 with a gain boost? Because EMG's site says it's a newly designed EMG HZ pickup. And, also, I'm a huge EMG fan, but I agree with you that DiMarzio's are sick as hell. I like the HZ's, too, don't get me wrong, but I have to say if you're gonna go passive, go DiMarzio. Not a big fan of Duncan's, though.

Cancel