Good neck pickup for cleans ?

Updated
Nagash
Neck pickup, clear cleans, humbucker, passive. What comes to your mind (apart from the Seymour Donkeys Jazz ^^) ?
JonCurcio

DiMarzio Air Classic
DiMarzio Virtual PAF
DiMarzio EJ Custom

Velt017

EMG 60

EMG 60a

Nagash

EMG 60

EMG 60a

PASSIVE

:lol

Does the 59 have less output than the Jazz ?

Metlupass2

Dimarzio Air Norton

muziqman

I know it comes stock in some ESPs but I have a SD '59 for my neck pup and I love the warm cleans I can get with it.

Velt017

Go active or go home

'59 is good.

Nagash

Go active or go home

Some people on this planet do not like batteries in their guitars, or the sterile sound of EMGs overall. I have played a lot of EMGs and I already know I don't want to get more of these.

muziqman

the Seymour Duncan site says so.

Jazz has a DC resistance of 7.72k and tone of 5/3/9 (bass/mid/treb)
'59 has a DC resistance of 7.43k and tone of 6/3/8

so the 59 is a bit less powerful and has more bass and less treble than the Jazz. Listening to them both on the SD site, they do sound very similar. Here's the link:Seymour Duncan

deus ex machina

DC resistance does not equal output.

I recommend the DiMarzio PAF Pro, personally.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

DC resistance does not equal output.

I recommend the DiMarzio PAF Pro, personally.

This is a great pickup because of it's upper mids & treble response. Very clear, gives you a lot of room to work with either your eq settings at the amp or with your tone knob.

The Humbucker from Hell would be the next full size Humbucker for very much the same reason, but it has some quack & single coil like characteristics that I prefer for my cleans.

I use a Chopper, which a single coil sized dual rail pickup by Dimarzio for my TFS6, and a Blaze Neck in my 7 string.

GFS has a Dream 180 Neck pickup that's very nice, so are their Noiseless Strat & Tele pickups.

Duncan's 59 is an all around great neck humbucker for a variety of applications, and therefore is in my opinion their best offering as their "go to" neck pickup.

Justinschut

oh you silly French people

Nagash

oh you silly French people

You know I'm not French. You know I hate to be bothered about this. It's written under my name. And It's fucking off the subject.

So who's the retard ?

What's wrong with not liking EMGs ?

load more replies (1 of 1)
Nagash

I never said I want less output. I heard something like the 59 was supposed to have less, therefore I asked. If the Jazz is really so great, I'll just stick to this one ^^.

Zilla

Air Norton

Iron Dog

I got the SD 59 in two of my guitars and is my favorite neck pick up by far. I haven't tried the SD Jazz yet.

deus ex machina

DiMarzio Humbucker From Hell.

NeedsMoreBlueBell

DiMarzio Humbucker From Hell.

I would have to agree with this. DiMarzio designed it to be primarily a clean pickup, and I don't see anybody that disagrees with it.

esp_gaijin

my favorite neck humbucker continues to be the Gibson Classic 57.

it would take me forever to list every neck humbee that i've had and was beat out by the gib57.

i like the SD 59 but it's crunchier and higher output than the gib57;
the gib57 is better for cleans and also can get great SRV pinch harmonics - which its hard to get good pinch harmonics from neck position with most pickups ime.

side note the gib 57+ BLOWS, it's harsh and trebly and not good for bridge, if you don't want a hot pickup in the bridge then another regular 57 is a great choice and is what my '61 sg has in both positions, perfect for classic rock medium gain and low gain.

jmo

Post to Thread