Solid State Death Metal

Updated
Dr_Jihad
A while back I posted this thread. Asking whether I could get tone like the bands in the thread from a 6505. Later on, I tried a 6505 112 at a studio and I had a friend go through all the EQ possibilities, playing similar riffs, and nothing was of avail. Went to guitar center later that day and the only thing that seemed to be giving that kind of tone were amps that were absolutely out of my price range. nwright made the point that the tone in those band's songs may be solid state, possibly an Ampeg VH-140C. I'm trying to find a decent Ampeg VH-140C, because solid state users are currently singing their praises. I'm currently re-looking into solid state amps for tone, and would like to hear about other great solid state amps (Some listed where the Crate GX-130C, Crate GT3500H "Shockwave", Crate GTX3500H "Tidalwave", Fender M-80, and the Ampeg SS-140C). and I'd like to know about any other way I can get that kind of tone (without breaking the bank). Thanks for your time.
kinski

a friend of mine has the Crate GX130C, but i think it's a 60 watt version.
early cannibal corpse used this one live, and, guess what, this sound
fits perfect. it can be adjusted to a nice pantera-ish sound, too.
also the cleans are really really nice.

over here, they are pretty cheap ( ~ 150 €), if you can find one locally, try it !

feedthegod

A while back I posted this thread. Asking whether I could get tone like the bands in the thread from a 6505. Later on, I tried a 6505 112 at a studio and I had a friend go through all the EQ possibilities, playing similar riffs, and nothing was of avail. Went to guitar center later that day and the only thing that seemed to be giving that kind of tone were amps that were absolutely out of my price range.

nwright made the point that the tone in those band's songs may be solid state, possibly an Ampeg VH-140C.

I'm trying to find a decent Ampeg VH-140C, because solid state users are currently singing their praises.

I'm currently re-looking into solid state amps for tone, and would like to hear about other great solid state amps (Some listed where the Crate GX-130C, Crate GT3500H "Shockwave", Crate GTX3500H "Tidalwave", Fender M-80, and the Ampeg SS-140C). and I'd like to know about any other way I can get that kind of tone (without breaking the bank).

Thanks for your time.

I think one thing you're not taking into account is those bands are produced, mixed and mastered. The sounds you hear are not simply mic'd amps. Sound engineers and producers do things to the tracks that can make a guitar sound huge, when it's really not that large in life. Something to take into account.

blistered earth

no lie i can get some pretty brootz tones from my ibby tone blaster x head that thing cranks out like an ss randall head

dissonance

Not sure what current prices are but when I first started looking into the Ampeg VH-140c's they were selling for $200-$300 on eBay (late 2002). Then when I bought mine (mid 2003), they were in the $400-$500 range. I think I paid $450 for mine after shipping and it was/is in mint condition with the exception of 1 knob not being an original.

Great amps though. The cleans are nothing special, no worse than any other solid state. Chorus is okay as well, nothing special but not excellent either. Reverb is good. I used to have a distortion pedal and Boss GT-3 but sold both after getting the amp and I've never had the urge to get an overdrive/distortion pedal while using the amp; about the only thing I think it needs other than effects if you use them is a maximizer. I'm yet to get a one but think my tone as is is a little thin.... it can still bring the brootz very well.

smally13

My Peavey TT Supreme can almost bring the brootz. Not quite, but almost. Too much gain, and it gets muddy and fizzy at the same time. Would greatly benefit from using a pedal instead of the onboard gain.

Dist_Coldbeer

Neisa!

Mike E Majik

I don't think it matters, you just have to kill babies on stage and you'll automatically rule.

woodddj

the ibanez toneblaster amps are brutal. dont knock'em till ya try one. check out some of the youtube video's.

anthonyblack

My crate shockwave rules lives.

Cryptos

Try a 6505 half stack that little 112 is NOT the same as a 6505 head. The 6505 is a very high gain amp dude, maybe it isn't what you want but it is a dist beast.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Post to Thread