A list of good solid state amps.

Updated
Kalibur
Could someone here name me a list of good solid state amps? Is the Fender Metalhead good?
ESPimperium

Randall T2 and V2s are good, also the Peavey XXL.

Fender metalhead is more meh.

Dark Alone

Marshall 8100 and 8200 = good stuff

esp_gaijin

Could someone here name me a list of good solid state amps?

SURE! here:

:p x a tubeillion

zerosk8r900

I have a Marshall Mode Four and it's pretty decent and it's got plenty of power. 350 watts is a little too much for me though.

daddydoomsday

Line 6 HD147 ( I have one and love it )
Ampeg VH-140c ( Dying fetus and suffication uses them)
Line 6 Flextone II Head
Marshall 8100 ( Death )

I would say these are my favorite ones.

OutlawTorn

fender...metal head from what i heard 550 watts of waste of money....and as for solid states, i prefer tubes but the Roland JC-120 is probabbly the best solid state ive played....no dirty channel but still the best one ive used...i used one with a Damage Control Demonizer and it was just fine

the_emptier

ok first off the marshall 8100 is part of the discontinued valvestate line (which i have a combo of, the 8240) and its not total SS it has 1 preamp 12ax7. but that series is really great, great tone tons of flexibility.

Swamp

Marshall MGP9004 Preamp (Just got a 2nd one to run them in stereo)
Marshall 8004 / 8008 Power amp....

the 8004 has 2x40Watts and no volume controll the 8008 has 2x80W and two Volumes

All listed are 1unit tall, and can sound really heavy especially with an EQ in the loop....

Billy Gibons uses them alot eventhough his tone is sometimes.. MEH...

jsp

I used to own a Carvin solid state head that sounded pretty good. I think it was the SX series..

Dark Alone

Other options include using a POD live direct to the board, which is what Satch's guitarist uses.

And he's barely, if at all, audible, both live or on record. :lol

guitarsatbmusic

And no one mentions Tech 21 - for SHAME!

espdood

How about the ISP Technologies Theta head? That thing is the most expensive SS that I've seen put out.

Dark Alone

True, but it just makes me laugh, because the dude is almost purely for show.

Mark K.

Line 6 flextoneIII/HD147/Vetta II

the randalls that where named sound really muffled to my ears...but that's just my opinion....I play a line 6 HD147 an can recommend it to anyone!!!

slayerfan213

For a while I had a Marshall mg100rcd head and it sounded great. I was very surprised on the tone that it had. At times I wish that I still had it. It is a great amp, espessially for the price.

ESPimperium

I forgot to add the Line 6 Vetta IIs are good SS amps, tried them a couple of times and liked what i heard. Also the Flextones are good enough for the money as well.

espdood

Has anyone tried, owned, or used the ISP Tech. Theta amp head?

metalhobo

randall RG series (G2 and G3) for br00tal tonez!

arsiscode

randall RG series (G2 and G3) for br00tal tonez!

Not to my ears... for the G3 at least. Muffled, not much gain. That could be the shitty cab it was with though.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Metal Mortician

+1 on the Peavey XXL. I own the combo and it sounds pretty good. With some celestions and a good noise reduction pedal, it would be great. Though, I think this one is going up for sale sometime in the near-future.

Has anyone mentioned a Randall Warhead or Warhead X2, yet?

espdood

+1 on the Peavey XXL. I own the combo and it sounds pretty good. With some celestions and a good noise reduction pedal, it would be great. Though, I think this one is going up for sale sometime in the near-future.

Has anyone mentioned a Randall Warhead or Warhead X2, yet?

The Warhead especially the X2 is hard to find. It sometimes shows up on Ebay but less and less each time, and when it is up on ebay..expect to pay a premium.

Post to Thread