• capoeiraesp

What tubes you use in 5150mk1&2?

Just curious about what tubes you've used in 5150's and what they've done for you sound.
    I've got sovtek 6l6s and electro harmonix in the preamp

• MikeAmottV2006

My MKII came stock with Ruby 6L6s and Sovtek 12AX7s. It was OK sounding, but could very easily get flabby on the low end. About a year after I got it I sent it in and had it converted for a set of Groove Tubes EL34s. A BAZZILION TIMES BETTER!!!!!! Next step was to save more money and I put Groove Tubes ECC83's in the preamp. This warmed up the sound alot and they had lower gain so it also got rid of a bunch of noise and hiss. I played it this way for a long time. Eventually the sound started thinning out when cranked so I bought a set of Electro Harmonix EL34s and they sounded even better than the Grove Tubes at less than half the cost. Next change was when I found out about Tungsol preamp tubes and stuck one in the first gain stage. In that final combo it was the baddest sounding amp in my knit group of musicians. I just sold it and the guy called me after he got it and jammed it a bit. You'da thought I just GAVE him Eddie's original Plexi.

• capoeiraesp

EL34s ay? Can't remember which website, it was a mods site maybe PLE or something like that recommended against EL34's in 5150's. I think i'll stick to 6l6s though. I'm interested in the tungsols, never really heard much feedback about them

• ESPNAZI

get jj tubes.

• ZephMan

Electro harmonix and Sovtek.

• markymarc1979

I have JJ's in the power section and and an NOS RFT and mix of C9's and EH's in the pre.

Cancel