String thickness bass

Updated
String thickness bass

Hi
I have a 5string bass (Ltd b55) with standard (?) string thickness that is tuned a half step up to C-F-B#-E#-G.
I feel that the strings are to hard and was wondering about getting ligther string, but I have no idea what standard thickness is on bass.
Can someone please advice me?

Sorry for bad phrasing, second language and all that:P

Basslaughter

There's not really a standard gauge, it depends on your preferences and tuning, the lower it is, the thicker they should be.

Gisornator

First of all it is gauge and not "thickness" ;). I asked a friend (bass player) and he told me that most basses come with 45-100, sometimes 45-105. I don't know if they can be called 'standard'. Hope that helps :)

Seb G.

standard would be like 45-130. You could try 1 gage bigger, maybe like 50-135, would be plenty "thick" as you mentionned:-) for the kind of tunning you're looking for. Too big is (in my opinion) unconfertable to play.

Henrik M. Arnesen

i was looking for smaler gauge. But tnx for the "standard" gauge

Carl N.

Currently 5 string LTD basses come from the factory with 45-125 Cleartone bass strings.  These are considered "Medium" strings.  Lighter gauge sets typically range from 35-120.  If moving down to a lighter gauge string be mindful that the nut for your instrument was slotted for the medium gauge strings and may require work to play properly with the new smaller strings.

Post to Thread