Just got my Snakebyte, very concerned!!!

Updated
Carpe Demon
Okay so I got my Snakebyte, this is supposed to be brand new, etc. Came in an ESP box all stapled up, ESP case, it is an LTD mind you (that's not a concern obviously). My concern is two things, perhaps just the way it was strung, but I don't know. First of all it was shipped with string tension, I was under the impression anytime sending a guitar the strings should all be loose. Secondly It was pretty much tuned up and just tuning it down a step, strings came out. Now this was probably whoever strung it cut it off right at the tuning knuckle instead of winding it (is that normal?) Secondly and most importantly. The Bridge volume knob cuts out about about half way. What is this? battery needs replaced? Bad pickups? What's the deal? Should I contact the seller can these things be remedied?
Pushead

My concern is two things, perhaps just the way it was strung, but I don't know. First of all it was shipped with string tension, I was under the impression anytime sending a guitar the strings should all be loose.

That's not an issue. People worry about stuff like that, but in my experience of having guitars shipped, it's never mattered.

Secondly It was pretty much tuned up and just tuning it down a step, strings came out. Now this was probably whoever strung it cut it off right at the tuning knuckle instead of winding it (is that normal?)

That's how the locking tuners work. You aren't supposed to wind them around the tuner, just run the string through and tighten the lock.

Secondly and most importantly. The Bridge volume knob cuts out about about half way. What is this? battery needs replaced? Bad pickups? What's the deal? Should I contact the seller can these things be remedied?

The pot might be bad, is it scratchy as you turn the volume down? Do you have a noise suppressor turned on? Pickups are likely fine, the battery is probably fine (though an easy check). You're probably better off just replacing the pot on your own.

Carpe Demon

Ah, in all seriousness I never really knew how locking tuners worked. That's kinda cool actually.

I have no noise suppressor running, just straight through my amp, though I don't really notice scratchiness when it's turned down but like I said it really on;y seems to work when the volume is halfway.

What's the process for getting a replacement pot for a JH-set?

BroKV

Make sure you wrap the string around the peg a few times. My dad taught me this trick

Metlupass2

Make sure you wrap the string around the peg a few times. My dad taught me this trick

Not with locking tuners you don't. What's the point?

Carpe Demon

I took a look at these pots and they are soldered. No quick connect. But thanks Pus' for the assistance!

Carpe Demon

why would these be soldered when they are sold with quick connect? That's kinda odd isn't it?

Bas D.

Pics of the new axe?

Carpe Demon

UPDATE!!!***

So I reached out to EMG and within an HOUR Derek got back to me offered to send me the replacement pot for no cost. How freaking awesome is that?! Within five minutes got back asking for my address. So pleased. I almost dont mind because now I have experienced tremendous customer service.

Explorer45

Glad it worked out for ya!

Pushead

The guys at EMG are always on top of it.

I suspect that they put soldered pots in at the factory because there is less room for connections to go bad.

Tondog

I ordered mine and received it exactly like yours. Nothing wrong with yours. I've never bought anything without disassembling it entirely right out of the box and so I had the strings off right away to do my own setup.

You'll LOVE the locking tuners btw.

Unlike Pus I've never had any issue with the plug and play EMG stuff and prefer it to soldering only from the perspective that if it goes bad you can just unplug, insert new one, and plug back in without having to worry about a soldered joint. My local luthier who is a "pro" guitar fixer-upper concurs with Pushead and said he just hates NOT soldering something so.....I think either way you'd be fine.

All mine was soldered as well and I have one pot doing exactly the same thing but I just kind of blew it off. Your posting this reminded me to replace it with an solderless kit.

Dark Alone

My condolences. The worst flaw of all is that it's a Snake Byte.

load more replies (2 of 2)
Road King

My concern is two things, perhaps just the way it was strung, but I don't know. First of all it was shipped with string tension, I was under the impression anytime sending a guitar the strings should all be loose.
Never take tension off the neck when shipping a guitar. The tuners and headstock are heavy, and string tension is needed to counteract the stresses these parts place on the instrument. If shipping with loose strings was a good idea, then every manufacturer would do it from the factory.

My condolences. The worst flaw of all is that it's a Snake Byte.
I never would have guessed that you didn't like the Snakebyte. You've only told us that 1000 times. Lame ass.

Dark Alone

Not as lame as how much you man-lust for Batman. But hey, we all gotta stay in character. ;)

Road King

Not as lame as how much you man-lust for Batman. But hey, we all gotta stay in character. ;)
My love for the cinema conquers your hate for an awesome guitar every time.

Dark Alone

:lol

Whatever helps you sleep at night friend.

Geetarguy70

:lol

Whatever helps you sleep at night friend.

The Snakebyte is a best seller in the City of Evil. Not having one is like a Nightmare and if I die I hope to be able to take mine to the Afterlife. That's my Unholy Confession for the night. My Second Heartbeat is making me tired so I'm off to bed to dream of Bat Country

Post to Thread