Serious question for my first post...

Updated
hotrod128z
I have been reading some here and there on the forums(which are awesome by the way) and I know that this subject has most likely been beat to death, but I have to ask. When it comes to Metallica, what is the whole deal with Kirk and James and ESP? I am wondering, are all of James's ESP (example, Explorer) that is currently used direct copies of Gibby's? Do they have a deal to play ESP exclusively on the road? I saw a concert where Kirk was playing a "flying V" and I think it was ESP(it was the two tone black and white one). Now this same concert I did see Kirk playing an ebony Gibby Les Paul custom with EMGs. I guess what I am asking is does Metallica have a major deal with ESP but can still be seen playing whatever guitar they want? Also, when did they start with ESP as a major player for them? I saw the 1988 video for the song "One" and James was playing a white ESP Explorer(real deal just like a Gibby) and Kirk was playing an ESP strat(looked just like a Fender, but with ESP logo on the headstock). Last but not least, I know that ESP does not currently directly copy any Gibby body exactly for the general public, but is James's ESP Explorers and Les Pauls(new made for him) direct Gibby exact spec. bodies? sorry for the long post, but this was something I have been extremely curious about, so if someone here can kinda give me the whole Metallica/Gibby/ESP story, then that would be awesome. thanks a million hotrod
guitarist1993

Well, if you were running ESP, would you drop Metallica for breaking their endorsement deal? I mean, they are Metallica, after all. I imagine ESP would keep the single biggest touring band in the world no matter what.

Pushead

James and Kirk told me that none of their guitars are made by ESP. Instead ESP just provides them stickers to put over the logos of their guitars to make them look like ESPs. Apparently, some of the stickers aren't very good and fall off, which is why sometimes you see Gibson or Kenneth Lawrence logos on their guitars.

My legal team tells me that the contract between ESP and Metallica covers as many stickers as they can use in a year, and also provides a $17 per week for any adds they appear in.

It's quite a lucrative deal.

Llexileon

:lol

Pusbert ftw

R11GJH

Just to be serious as it is his first post...

They are endorsed but they are not tied into a exclusive deal. As without Metallica ESP would be seriously lacking any major album sales artists, I think it works for both parties.

hotrod128z

Just to be serious as it is his first post...

They are endorsed but they are not tied into a exclusive deal. As without Metallica ESP would be seriously lacking any major album sales artists, I think it works for both parties.

Thanks for the serious type answer. So basically as I have been reading other threads similar is that for the most part James in particular is more of a Gibby man and if he has a 100% made for him guitar then ESP builds it for him and for the most part are favored Gibby types(Explorer, LP's, V's, etc.) Am I correct with that? And Kirk is more or less a ESP M series type guy for the most part(currently) but also will have other made for him customs from ESP in te Gibby flavor(particullarly V's).? But also at certain time for certain songs/tunings/tones, they will break out some of their collection of other brands (mostly Gibby), especially James. Is this also correct? So in other words they truely have the best of both worlds when it comes to their guitars.

Also I know about the whole Gibby/ESP legal contriversy and all so I want to ask this. Currently if James says I want a new direct 1976 Explorer with EMG's, TOM, certain neck material, fretboard, tuners, finish, etc. and ESP builds it for him and delivers it to him, does Gibby ever raise hell or since it is a only one of a 100% custom made for an artist/individual then there is nothing to say?

I honestly just find this stuff very interesting, that's why I have the questions.

hotrod

load more replies (2 of 2)
The Sloth

I guess what I am asking is does Metallica have a major deal with ESP but can still be seen playing whatever guitar they want?

exactly.

Also, when did they start with ESP as a major player for them?

Im not 100%, some of the Metallica fanboys can clear this up but I thought they started playing them for Master of Puppets...major player? I think they got thier sig models around '98, thats when I first saw them anyway.

Last but not least, I know that ESP does not currently directly copy any Gibby body exactly for the general public, but is James's ESP Explorers and Les Pauls(new made for him) direct Gibby exact spec. bodies?

They are similar but not exact...although a few of his newish guitars have truckster style ESP badges that look like they've just been stuck on a Gibson.

Pushead

Call up Q-Prime and ask them. No one here will know the specifics of any deal, regardless of how much they think they know

R11GJH

Call up Q-Prime and ask them. No one here will know the specifics of any deal, regardless of how much they think they know

LOL, I have lost Peter Mensch's number could you PM it to me.

R11GJH

Thanks. I was on their site earlier and didn't realise they represented Muse also.

Post to Thread