ESP LTD GL-256 Strats - Any good???

Updated
ESP LTD GL-256 Strats - Any good???
Im thinking about one of theese for modding with parts i have lying arround, are they any good??? And what do they compair to in terms of quality??? the 400 series??? Also, is the finish a decal??? if so how easy would it be to sand down and re finish??? Thanks.
OutlawTorn

Im thinking about one of theese for modding with parts i have lying arround, are they any good???

And what do they compair to in terms of quality??? the 400 series???

Also, is the finish a decal??? if so how easy would it be to sand down and re finish???

Thanks.

its a decal :( guitar was nice....the michael wilton strat shape was nice imo....the store that had it i think over tightened the springs...it was like pushing a mack truck with no arms.....the finish as state above was a decal...and a poor one....that really made the guitar fail for me...

ESPimperium

But without the decal, and a propper paint job, potential win.

Posibly in a black finished body.

1point8t

The mod tried telling us over and over that it wasn't a decal, but I wasn't convinced. It looked nothing like paint. The finish was really cheesy, but the guitar itself played well and had a great neck on it. The pickups also sounded more than decent for stock. If I had kept the guitar, I would have refinished it Olympic white, but I sold it since it was collecting dust. Definitely a a good platform guitar for the money. New paint and pickups (maybe tuners too) = win

OutlawTorn

The mod tried telling us over and over that it wasn't a decal, but I wasn't convinced. It looked nothing like paint. The finish was really cheesy, but the guitar itself played well and had a great neck on it. The pickups also sounded more than decent for stock. If I had kept the guitar, I would have refinished it Olympic white, but I sold it since it was collecting dust. Definitely a a good platform guitar for the money. New paint and pickups (maybe tuners too) = win

+1

ESPimperium

Humbuckers = Got
Single Coils = Got
Tuners = Got, but for a 6IL tho, can be easinly bought i guess.
Paint Job = not so shure, i can pre sand it and get it done by a shop here in Glasgow

Could be a nice bit of Winnage i think.

Hows the trem BTW???

ESPimperium

Thats why i would like ESP to make some LTD Vintage Pluses in the same area as the 1000 series as im now thinking about another Fender Highway 1 Strat as its 90% of the way there for me, all it needs is HSS modding.

Even if they made a Vintage Plus in the same area as a 400/500 series id be cool with that.

Mr Walley

LTD made in Vietnam=fail. ESP made in Japan=not so fail.

TheDevilHimself

The aging on the back of the ESP looks fake IMO. Luckily it's the back.

I saw the LTD in person the other day. It looks horrible up close.

nameless

The scratches on the back of that ESP one aren't wear, they're fucking vandalism. They look shit.

robguitar

The scratches on the back of that ESP one aren't wear, they're fucking vandalism. They look shit.

True that.

TheFue

I love the aged look and all, but...

We're willing to shell out a Grand or so for these guitars, when if we were to see one at a garage sale that looked like this we'd be trying to work the owner down to $200-300

Like, i like the Truckster, but if I ever were to get one cheap, I'd be repainting it...

ESPimperium

I may be giving the GL-256 a miss as theres a SC-600 that i now iave my eye on as its in the Natural Gloss finish i love. And i can mod the SC-600 more or less with existing parts i have on hand. Cept the pickups of course.

chrisolson

I've tried two. One had a bad truss rod - you couldn't flatten the neck at all, and the other had a crack in the board. Bummer.

Michael A.

I got one. Not too much cash on hand, wanted a strat, but didn't want a strat. I have an Eclipse II Standard and an LTD EC-400AT and I am a fan of ESP's quality. Thought I would give it a try. The finish is a little gay. I think I may strip and paint it. The neck is great though. I loved the way that it played, which to me was more important than the way it looked. Tone from the single coils was good once I raised the neck pick-up a bit. The tone from the humbucker was lacking. I swapped out for a Rockfield SWC and I couldn't be happier.

sahlomonic

I've had my GL-256 for almost a year now, and I love it. The relic finish could have been done better, but oh well. For a $400 guitar, I didn't expect the finish to be any better, really. Also, its not a decal, its a stenciled spray job. The neck is what really sold me on the 256. To me it just feels so natural, and the high frets are a plus. A big downside, however, is the single-action truss rod. Yuck. I don't know why guitars are even built like this anymore to be honest. The stock pickups are a little weak sounding, but I never judge a guitar based on the electronics because they're easy for me to change out if need be. Tuning pegs could be a little higher quality, but hasn't failed me on stage as of yet. All in all, I think only die-hard Lynch fans like myself can really appreciate the GL-256.

load more replies (1 of 1)
ESP

I'm down to only one. And what about that white M-II I have coming!

Alex Sosa

Does it fit the Dimarzio pickguard or fender pickguard? 

Keith R.

I've had this guitar for about a year or so now, and absolutely love it! 

If you want to beat the crap out of the body with a chain, or bag of nails on one of these, have at it. 

But this is a killer guitar on any level!

Post to Thread