Upgraded my KH-202 with EMGs

Updated
hunter3705
I just finished installing an EMG HZ H4 (bridge) and an EMG HZ H4A (neck) on my KH-202. I was originally going to go with actives - some combination of 81/85, but I really didn't want to have to worry about the batteries running out at some bad time. I'm happy with my decision, the 84s make a huge difference. They sound ... powerful, that's the only word I can think of to describe it. They give the guitar real balls, deep crunchy tone I could never achieve with the stock pickups. It seems like the H4 has a little bit more low end than the H4A, but they both sound great. If anyone is considering doing this, let me give you the scoop. The major problem is that the stock LTD pickups do not use the EMG 5-prong plug - they're direct, hard-wired to the pots and switch. Plan on doing some soldering to install the HZs. The good news is, the HZs hook up exactly as the stock p/u 's do (different wire color codes). Also, once you have the 5-prong plug leads installed, switching to a different set of EMG pickups would be about a five-minute job! It would literally be "plug and play." I also took the opportunity to put on a new set of Ernie Ball 2253 strings, so the old axe is ready to go. The passive EMGs have great sound, the installation is doable by anyone with a little bit of electrical/electronic experience. It's a great upgrade for a relatively small amount of money.
Mark K.

I'm going to equip my KH-202 with a EMG 81/85 setup...

never heard of EMG HZ 84 pickups...what are they?

MyApocalypse

I'm going to equip my KH-202 with a EMG 81/85 setup...

never heard of EMG HZ 84 pickups...what are they?

he probably means H4 and H4a as in the HZ H4 and HZ H4a, passive versions of the 81 and 85

N3rdAl3rt

emg H4s are basically the same as the esp pickups from what i hear, should have went with actives

BrazilianBootyLover

I was originally going to go with actives - some combination of 81/85, but I really didn't want to have to worry about the batteries running out at some bad time.

Its not like a game boy or something like that. You don't just go from awesome tone to shit in a instant. The life of the battery just diminishes over a long period of time. according to the emg site they last up to 3,000 hours. I usually change my batteries every 1-3 months. The longest I've went was 6 months.

hunter3705

Apocalypse: thanks for the correction, you're right, I did indeed mean H4 and H4A.

N3rdAl3rt: the EMGs are much higher quality than the stock pickups. The literature on the guitar says that it comes stock with "EMG designed pickups." They're probably similar, but there's a pretty obvious difference in the sound quality and tone - when you hear them sort of side by side.

BrazilianBootyLover: I'm sure the active pickups would do much better, but you know, it's a tradeoff, like anything else.

exhibit-sbt

batterys last like, a year + of constant playing, though I change every 3-6 months, depends if i remember or not

Butch

i have been debating upgrading the trem and pups on my 202 likr nerdalert for a while. For the $400 it costs i may as well put it to a mh400 or something, but the 202 is a nice axe. I guess someday i may do it.

MattallicA

I'm new to the board..........I have a 202 as well! it's my FIRST guitar that I have ever bought brand new. my first was a used samick, built with custom parts to be a les paul copy.

anyways, I was wondering about diffrent pickups for my 202 as well...........I think the stock pickups sound effin awesome, but am no good with soldering.....

DUKE

I'm new to the board..........I have a 202 as well! it's my FIRST guitar that I have ever bought brand new. my first was a used samick, built with custom parts to be a les paul copy.

anyways, I was wondering about diffrent pickups for my 202 as well...........I think the stock pickups sound effin awesome, but am no good with soldering.....

if you're not comfortable with soldering wires and such, take the guitar to a tech at a local shop for a pickup swap. they would usually charge $20-$30.

load more replies (1 of 1)
MattallicA

how do you know what year model the kh-02 is?

if I change pickups Im going for the EMG-81's

Prog Master

how do you know what year model the kh-02 is?

if I change pickups Im going for the EMG-81's

Look on the back of your headstock at the serial number and it should be the first 2 numbers.

notable spec changes:

05 and back
Black Hardwere
Glossy Black Painted Neck
Dual EMG HZ Humbuckers

Black Hardwere
Unpainted Neck
Dual EMG/ESP Humbuckers

07 And 08
Chrome Hardwere
Unpainted Neck
Dual EMG/ESP Humbuckers

Hope i could help. Cheers:cool:

Mark K.

07 And 08
Chrome Hardwere
you mean black nickle hardware...

Prog Master

you mean black nickle hardware...

Right you are.

Cheers:cool:

deftones

should of gotten some passive sds or dimarzios imo

Curt Daddy

do it the blackouts are my recomendation to everybody who is trying out actives for the first time and are afraid of losing that warmth and organic tone of their passives. and everyone who has bought them on my recomendation and without have loved them regardless.

but on a side note I will stick to an x2n or super 3 in the bridge and a paf pro or an evolution in the neck.

Post to Thread