Problems with an SV Standard

Updated
Brian H.

So after years of wanting an Esp Sv standard, I finally dished out the cash and filled that big hole in my heart. They are hard to come by these days, but PROMUSICTOOLSdotcom (Germany based store) had a few left in stock. I was stoked that they were willing to ship it to New Jersey. I bought the black with the sawtooth inlays. Right out of the box this thing sounded and played like a dream. It has been about a month now and I have started to notice imperfections all along the neck binding. I havent played it much since it arrived since I am constantly at work or school. It has sat in the case so I know it is nothing I did. I am very concerned about this. After comparing it to my Edwards and LTD, which neither have any of these imperfections, I am kind of mad. I paid almost $3,000, and the guitar isnt flawless. This is my first time spending more than $1500 and its really dissapointing. Pro Music Tools pretty much told me that " From what we can see in the photos, we believe the minor issues you are referring to are normal technological artifacts and no defects." What the hell is a normal technological artifact? I will include the pictures so you can see what I mean. It is a beautiful guitar otherwise but I really should have recieved a blemish free instrument. They assured me it wasnt a floor model or a demo. The serial number on it indicates it was made in 2012 so I don't know.... Should I pursue this further or just let it go? I did a google search and im not the first person to receive a hard to find instrument from them with various imperfections. 

Brian H.

in the first picture you can see where they messed up on the binding. The second picture shows the finish from the body going over the binding and looks kind of sloppy. The third picture you can see a black mark on the binding. Maybe I am just making a big deal out of nothing... I dont know.

Pushead

By my estimation, you're making a big deal about nothing.  The finish line in photo 2 is normal (in my experience) with guitars that have neck-through, non-finished necks.  Here's my old Carvin:

Photo 3 is pretty normal, too.  Sometimes the seams in the binding don't make great connections.  The black there is dirt or extra dye from the fretboard.  An eraser should take care of it.  You can see (albeit not a great close up) on my LPC:

Photo 1 is a defect, I suppose, but as you said, it's a 2.5 year old guitar already.  Personally I wouldn't get worked up about it, but if it bugs you now, it'll always bug you.  If they'll accept a return, and you can't come to grips with the condition, send it back.

jt76

Agree pic 1 is a minor defect ,  pic 2 and pic 3 are fairly typical,  I think you are making to big a deal of it.  

If you look carefully very few guitars are perfect.  

The only guitars I can't find anything wrong with are my Suhrs

If you are buying it to use it, I would keep it,  If you are buying it for a collection,  I would consider sending it back, but also consider that you may not find a better

specimien.  

I ususally choose my guitars based upon sound and playability over appearance.   

neo8824

These are taken from my Custom Shop Sawtooth, these are normal.

I wouldn't worry too much...(maybe the 1st pic of yours shows a little defect, but it's minor, even Custom shop guitars have minor flaws..just so you know)

Post to Thread