Decisions....

Updated
Mullet
Hi All, Narrowed my choice of guitars down to 2: ESP M-II (bolt-on) Jackson DKMG-Dinky I would imagine most would opt for the M-II...but, just so you guys know, the DKMG Dinky is nigh on half the price of the ESP. Cheers in advance for ya help..
MyApocalypse

Mii

CL4P-TP

Yeah, where did you buy it from now?

imprinted

I get the idea that he's in the UK, definitely send it back to the shop if it's not up to standard.

IWannaTalkToSamson

I get the idea that he's in the UK, definitely send it back to the shop if it's not up to standard.
Ahh ok then I don't know what specific shops they have over there but yeah he should take it back if its as bad as he says

Ravens Creed

Nope thats about right. I'd put the MII UC on par with the soloists and custom series and a DK2M on par with the best LTD's.
A DK1 would be on par with the MII and a KV2 or WR1 on par with the custom series.

RejecterSR

Nope thats about right. I'd put the MII UC on par with the soloists and custom series and a DK2M on par with the best LTD's.
A DK1 would be on par with the MII and a KV2 or WR1 on par with the custom series.

sweet! good for me. lol

Mullet

The guitar is being replaced, new one should be with me next week...will let you know how this one fares!

Apparently this is the last one in ESP UK have in stock.

A question for you - are the guitars of this quality usually setup OK at the factory or is shops setup necessary?

Helldragon

A question for you - are the guitars of this quality usually setup OK at the factory or is shops setup necessary?

When I got my Horizon, it was set up OK... just a general setup.
But, as with all guitars I have ever purchased, I immediately bought new strings, restrung it, corrected the action, neck tension, octaves, whatsoever...
I mean, the guitars come with a setup that is OK, but you will need to set it up to your preferences.

Monologous

Wow, you had really bad luck there. This one had never had any problems like that with ESP, or even higher end LTD guitars. Setup should be good on those guitars, but when they're sent from Japan etc, they go through different climate changes and stuff, so the store should do a setup when it arrives aswell.

Piney Hills Music

no
it should be setup by your shop...

ESP USA sets them up before they ship em to me, but I still go over them and "check em" when they get here and "tweak em" if I have to

load more replies (1 of 1)
Mullet

The replacement is apparently the last one ESP UK have in stock.... it had better be perfect...or sh1t will fly!

Can someone post a close up of how lockin nuts should look please. Cheers guys....help ease my pain LOL.

Piney Hills Music

This just goes to show that everycompany can make mistakes...

I just dont see how this thing can get past the distributor, and the retailer...

BTW.. that would be an easy fix...

Mullet

Quick fix maybe...

But, the ESP M-II is by no means a budget guitar and as you mentioned in your post Iwould not expect this low level of quality control. One thing I have noted... there was no quality checked/controlled sticker on the reverse of the guitar body...should there be one? Remember, I am based in the UK so am not 100% sure if it makes a difference.

Piney Hills Music

well, even if this one "slipped throught the cracks" I blame that more on your dealer than anyone...

thats a very simple thing to catch, and make right..

Every company is gonna have stuff happen, specially when you make guitars on the scale that ESP does

Mullet

Here's an update for you peeps.

My replacement has arrived - the locking nuts are OK...but there are other woes:

1. The volume knob refused to turn initially, I undid the locking screw on the knob and remounted it and all is now good.

2. Paint job - again!! Bridge mounting screws - where one enters into the thread on the guitar body paint has flaked off and I can see bare wood!

3. Around the tremolo arm amount (in the OFR bridge) the black nickel plating has bubbles where the threaded mount has been inserted into the body of the bridge.

As you guys know, this guitar aint cheap and I am expecting it to be at least free of minor issues - after all, if I was selling this on in it's current state I would have to mention points 2 and 3 to any prospective buyer and that just aint right!

It should be without any quality floors whatsoever...

Am I being picky here?

CL4P-TP

Am I being picky here?
No. At the price you payed for a new product it should be to your expectations.

Piney Hills Music

so, whats the deal man, did you get things resolved yet?

Mullet

Well...the original one I had (with the ropey locking nut) has now been returned to the UK distributer....to see if they can sort it out. To be honest, this is a last ditch effort on the part of both the shop and the supplier - *restock not scheduled to September!!

Just out of curiosity Piney - how would they be able to reposition the locking nuts? I thought that there's no room for adjustment on them...

ARGHHHHHhhhh

Piney Hills Music

well it actually looked like it was the wrong size nut...

but it just needed to be shifted over if it was the right size

i could be done quite easily..

antikue

The replacement doesn't actually sound THAT bad, maybe someone kicked the case around during delivery.
I bought a Jackson SL2H recently, and the first one I got was poorly made, bridge route being way too big for the OFR and the pickup routes completely misaligned. Sent it back and got a brand new and well cut piece this time. Although the volume knob was jumped off the potentiometer at some point and scratched the body surface a bit. I don't mind - it may as well look a little worn and "experienced", doesn't effect the playability. And to consider, here in Europe the SL2H costs over a 1000 euros more than the M-II, I'd expect perfect craftsmanship from the start. Now it's all good, and I guess I'll have to buy an M-II to accompany the Soloist - I'm not so afraid of little glitches in the setup :)

Mullet

I suppose it is all relative...for me spending £1k on a guitar is a significant step up from my sh1tty Aria Pro II which is probably now classified as an antique. Well, there's an update on this too....ESP have shipped 2 new spangly M-IIs from Japan especially to meet the need for a replacement. I believe the bulk shipments aren't due in the UK for some months. I had toyed with the idea of a refund but am holding out for a decent one...

Recently plated a used Caparison TAT II and all....that would have been the alternative if this replacement had fallen through.

Piney Hills Music

well, as long as you are happy, thats all that matters.

mullen2105

Another opinion.

I prefer Jacksons over Esp's only because I haven't found the exact one I'm looking for. But after playing many many Jackson's and Esp's I say if you're getting a double cut guitar with a Floyd rose and a bolt on neck Jackson's are alot better of a choice because the Duncan designed pickups are alot better than the Esp, and the woods of Jackson's are IMO alot better than Esp.

CL4P-TP

Another opinion.

I prefer Jacksons over Esp's only because I haven't found the exact one I'm looking for. But after playing many many Jackson's and Esp's I say if you're getting a double cut guitar with a Floyd rose and a bolt on neck Jackson's are alot better of a choice because the Duncan designed pickups are alot better than the Esp, and the woods of Jackson's are IMO alot better than Esp.

So you are saying that you think Duncan Designed pickups are better than EMGs? Or even true Seymour Duncans?

Shreddy

ROFL

Low end jacksons fail on so many levels....

Post to Thread