Can light gauge strings cause backbow and fret buzz?

Updated
Manan A.

I have bought a brand new EC 10 and it came with a .10 gauge daddario string set but I changed the strings to .09 gauge EB slinky.. and from next day onwards, 4 to 9th fret of B (and G and E) string started buzzing so I had to increase the string action. It's kinda uncomfortable to play it this way.. I did some research and found that lower gauge strings cause less tension which creates a back bow and I need to now adjust the truss rod (1/4th of a circle). My concern is, before adjusting the truss rod, shall I lower down the bridge to factory settings first or straight away adjust the truss?

In my personal opinion, I should adjust the bridge to factory settings first and then adjust the truss to counter the fret buzz accordingly right? 

I think this little detail of what to adjust first (if the bridge has already been raised once) is crucial and often overlooked by almost all the forums!

ESP Admin
Manan A. wrote:

I have bought a brand new EC 10 and it came with a .10 gauge daddario string set but I changed the strings to .09 gauge EB slinky.. and from next day onwards, 4 to 9th fret of B (and G and E) string started buzzing so I had to increase the string action. It's kinda uncomfortable to play it this way.. I did some research and found that lower gauge strings cause less tension which creates a back bow and I need to now adjust the truss rod (1/4th of a circle). My concern is, before adjusting the truss rod, shall I lower down the bridge to factory settings first or straight away adjust the truss?

In my personal opinion, I should adjust the bridge to factory settings first and then adjust the truss to counter the fret buzz accordingly right? 

I think this little detail of what to adjust first (if the bridge has already been raised once) is crucial and often overlooked by almost all the forums!

If done correctly the truss rod can be adjusted before you adjust the bridge height. If you have not setup an instrument before we recommend you read through the ESP Owner's Manual, to get a better understanding of the adjustments that can be made and how to go about it. 

Post to Thread