Differences in ESP Horizon Body's

Updated
John S.

Why are some horizon bodies more carved than others? In particular I've noticed the lower horn either has a deep cut as opposed to others that seem to blend more into the body. 

ESP Admin
John S. wrote:

Why are some horizon bodies more carved than others? In particular I've noticed the lower horn either has a deep cut as opposed to others that seem to blend more into the body. 

That is an interesting observation and we would be glad to discuss any of these differences. When you have a moment please provide some examples of the differences you have found.

LK1

The ones with the deep cut near the lower horn are the original series horizons. The 48th street NYC custom shop also had them in that style (from the 80s/early 90s).

John S.

Seems I've found my answer I believe. I've misinterpreted actual ESP horizons with lesser LTD models. But this creates another question. For discussion sake if I buy an LTD SC-607b as opposed to an ESP STEF B7 I receive a quality guitar that vaguely resembles the one he actually plays. I get the " you get what you pay for" pricing model but if I can't be lured in with a version of the guitar I desire, why would I consider a custom shop? Seems the business model is to force you into a custom shop purchase. Sucks, I would spend 2k on a guitar that carries at least the same shape as the one the artist plays, instead its custom shop or bust. On mobile so can't post pictures but the Sc607b and Stef B7 have completely different bodies. If you can mass produce guitars at least make give the bodies the same shape. 

Pushead

The LTD SC-607b

The ESP STEF B-7

Without meaning to answer for ESP, I suspect there's a limit at what the CNC that does the body shape and top carving for the LTD can replicate.  Without having a specific tool to handle the carve (and perhaps a CNC just can't get such a fine line carve) it's probably just not possible on the CNC.

LK1

Edwards Horizons have the deep cut and they're cheaper than the E-II/Standards that don't have it in that style. ESP USA Horizons and the older Horizon Customs don't have it either so there are probably other factors involved other than the cost.

It's probably a difference in domestic versus export markets. ESP Standards/LTDs were made only for the overseas export market, while Edwards and Grassroots were made for the Japanese market only. The custom shop makes all their Signature models to the same specs so there wouldn't be a difference.

John S.

Thanks for the responses, which make sense. Seems a custom shop order is in the near future for me. Ive been all over the map and ESP just works in so many ways. I look forward to the NGD I get to share with you animals! 

ProjectGuitarDOTcom

Zombie thread, I know. I was hunting for info on my old 86/87 The Mirage Custom (carved top!) and shape differences between the Mirage and Horizon, and I ended up here.

I'm a designer, CNC programmer and operator. The differences between these two carves is likely one of the capabilities of the CNC and not simply whether CNC can do this or not. The sharper and more defined ESP contouring imply the use of a 5-axis CNC doing a simultaneous XYAC motion, possibly XYZAC. The LTD carve is either a 2,5D copy carver for multiple bodies (similar to Gibson), a simpler 3-axis CNC or even multiple fixed head 3-axis CNC. Whilst a 3-axis CNC can still achieve the tighter contouring of the ESP variation, it does mean a lot more time on the CNC plus additional work sanding out the coarser machining artifacts which make no sense for the lower LTD price point.

Post to Thread