Gotoh Floyd Rose and less all gloss necks

Updated
Gotoh Floyd Rose and less all gloss necks

I've been wondering for awhile why so many companies, like ESP, continue to stick with the Schaller made Floyd Rose as the standard as opposed to the Gotoh made Floyd Rose. In my opinion the Gotoh Floyd is alot more ergonomic and so much more comfortable. To me, I feel that the Japanese manufacturing of Gotoh is higher quality than that of the German manufacturing of Schaller. I know some companies like Suhr have started to use the Gotoh Floyd as opposed to the Original Floyd. Doesn't ESP have a really good relationship with Gotoh since you guys use alot of Gotoh hardware? (Japanese guitars + Japanese guitar hardware just seems so natural!)  ≧∇≦

The other thing I've been wondering about is that alot of your high end models in the LTD 1000 series, E-II series, and even Original series, have gloss necks (For example the ESP E-II FRX). I think alot of players would agree with me when I say that we really prefer the feel of either a satin finish or just an oil finished neck. It just makes playing so much quicker and comfortable. I just recently bought an ESP Horizon III and Forest GT and my only issues with the guitars are the painted gloss necks and the uncomfortable feel of the Original Floyds. Are there any plans to do away with those all gloss necks? I know you guys are able to make a guitar with the "V" shaped cut off where the paint ends and it's just a good ol unpainted neck. Thanks for your time! I still love ESP, you guys are my #1 choice for guitars and with these changes I feel like you guys can continue to be the best of the best!

Big Daddy B

ever consider a custom order?

SunnyD

These are changes that I would like to see in their standard line up, some people wont agree with the change to Gotoh Floyd bridges, but I think most of us would like a satin or unpainted neck. Many companies are ditching the painted glossy neck, like Schecter, which yes I know is a sister company to ESP. 

Big Daddy B

cool. I was just curious because you have 8 posts in 3 years and 6 of them are things you wish ESP would offer. Custom shop would be a good way to get exactly what features you want all in one package. a dream guitar if you will.

SunnyD

It's customer feedback man, and it's how ESP will continue to make some of the best guitars on Earth. I'm pretty sure my only other post on the ask ESP forum has been asking why they continue to use the old LTD font when they had new font for the LTD Elite logo, which to me is a more modern look, but the Block font ESP logo is still the best. This post asks why they continue to use the old Original Floyd, when the Gotoh Floyd is better in every way and why so many of their offerings, and why they continue to include that slow and sticky glossy neck on so many models, even their Japanese made E-II and Original series offerings still come with painted glossy necks. The satin or unpainted neck is something that many other manufacturers like Schecter, Ibanez, Jackson, and Legator offer, standard on even their high end import models. Ibanez and Suhr use Gotoh made tremolo systems and for good reason too. Schecter even has stainless steel frets, compound radius fretboards, and luminlay sidedots as standards on their high end Korean made model. Hell, PRS SE and Carvin even offer 20" radius fretboards now! ESP is my all time favorite guitar company, however, they are behind on some features and if they included these, they would be a hyper compeititive force to be reckoned with in the market. These things are just features that have really become standard in other guitars. I shouldn't have to order a multi thousand dollar ESP custom for these features that other manufacturers provide in even their import guitars. I plan on ordering an ESP ordermade guitar in the future, but for now, all I can afford is their standard line-up. On a side note, even ESP Japan is pretty behind on this too. These suggestions apply to ESP Japan as well. The only Edwards guitar they offer that has an unpainted neck, with the V cut off from the body paint is their E-CY-165CTM model, which shows me that it can be done!

ESP Admin
SunnyD wrote:

I've been wondering for awhile why so many companies, like ESP, continue to stick with the Schaller made Floyd Rose as the standard as opposed to the Gotoh made Floyd Rose. In my opinion the Gotoh Floyd is alot more ergonomic and so much more comfortable. To me, I feel that the Japanese manufacturing of Gotoh is higher quality than that of the German manufacturing of Schaller. I know some companies like Suhr have started to use the Gotoh Floyd as opposed to the Original Floyd. Doesn't ESP have a really good relationship with Gotoh since you guys use alot of Gotoh hardware? (Japanese guitars + Japanese guitar hardware just seems so natural!)  ≧∇≦

The other thing I've been wondering about is that alot of your high end models in the LTD 1000 series, E-II series, and even Original series, have gloss necks (For example the ESP E-II FRX). I think alot of players would agree with me when I say that we really prefer the feel of either a satin finish or just an oil finished neck. It just makes playing so much quicker and comfortable. I just recently bought an ESP Horizon III and Forest GT and my only issues with the guitars are the painted gloss necks and the uncomfortable feel of the Original Floyds. Are there any plans to do away with those all gloss necks? I know you guys are able to make a guitar with the "V" shaped cut off where the paint ends and it's just a good ol unpainted neck. Thanks for your time! I still love ESP, you guys are my #1 choice for guitars and with these changes I feel like you guys can continue to be the best of the best!

Thank you for your interest in ESP and for supporting our brand. We will be glad to pass this information along to our product development team. You have given us some excellent feedback today and we will consider all of your suggestions and comments as we continue to develop new products.

Certainly all of the options you’ve suggested are available on a Custom Shop instrument, however we understand your comments that these types of options should be readily available for our average priced instruments.

We have produced some guitars with satin used for the back of neck, both painted with a color and natural with a satin back, although neither is our standard. We also have produced the ESP Kirk Hammett Neck Thru guitars with a natural back neck but with a glossy finish because that is what he prefers. Basically it all comes down to each players’ preference and we need to take into consideration all the feedback we receive from our customers and dealers.

Thanks again for your valuable feedback and support of ESP!

Post to Thread