White guitars

Updated
White guitars

I'm looking at buying an E-II Eclipse somewhere down the line and I've kinda fallen in love with the snow white version. My only issue is that I know that white guitars tend to yellow over time. Maybe some people like that look, personally I don't. Has anyone got this model and have you had much yellowing on your guitar? Any ways to minimumise the yellowing? What finish does ESP use on their guitars?

Pushead

The finish is a poly. The paint doesn't change colors, it's the clear-coat. Though I don't have any proof to back this up, I've found that leaving it in the case affects the guitar more than sun. I have this 2005 Eclipse in snow white and it's still pretty white. I keep it out of the case and out of the sun (in an area where direct sun doesn't hit it.)

Wildchild Inc.

For a 2005 it looks perfect. I'm gonna assume then it's mostly direct sunlight and smoke that causes the yellowing. I know the model I'm looking at is a satin finish. Beautiful guitar BTW. 

metalhobo
Wildchild Inc. wrote:

For a 2005 it looks perfect. I'm gonna assume then it's mostly direct sunlight and smoke that causes the yellowing. I know the model I'm looking at is a satin finish. Beautiful guitar BTW. 

while those things do indeed cause yellowing, there are some clear coat formulations that will yellow on their own.

Mark F.

Tobacco smoke and candle soot are killers.    They fade anything.    If you're working, there is no real way around this.   Polish them up with some furniture wax or Armor All, and it helps form a barrier against it for starters, but it rubs off just like anything else.  

I have a pair of USA DKAS', and they are still white from 2010.   The blackish color of the strap has started to 'osmosis' over a smidgen, but these guitars have been toured with extensively.  

The bindings on my '87 Model 6 and '05 SLS almost look the same now.     They started white, and both of them are case queens - never toured or used in rehearsals. 

It's a guitar.   It's a tool.  You're a musician.   It might as well be a wrench to a mechanic or a hammer to a carpenter.   They're not going to look new forever unless you're just a collector, and if that's the case, Gibson or Fender has an old-folks-home closet-filler for your kids to post on Craigslist after your transition.  

BOOGIEMAN
Pushead wrote:

The finish is a poly. The paint doesn't change colors, it's the clear-coat. Though I don't have any proof to back this up, I've found that leaving it in the case affects the guitar more than sun. I have this 2005 Eclipse in snow white and it's still pretty white. I keep it out of the case and out of the sun (in an area where direct sun doesn't hit it.)

I’ve always been a fan of white...

Wildchild Inc.

I love white guitars also, so here is the one I bought. Its a satin finish.

Michael L.

Congrats, it's a really nice guitar

On my Volcano Eclipse (2012), the binding around the body went to yellow, but not the binding around the fingerboard. And i think it will be the same on my red sparkle Eclipse.

Wildchild Inc.

Interesting. Does it bother you. 

load more replies (1 of 1)
tx-ogre
Wildchild Inc. wrote:

I love white guitars also, so here is the one I bought. Its a satin finish.

Sweet looking Eclipse.  I’m getting into guitar building and plan to put a white finish on a future project.  

Post to Thread