what's that pickup?

Updated
what's that pickup?

Hi everyone! So, I recently bought an ealy '90 m2 nt original series. Classic black with humbucker on the bridge and single coil on the neck. But..they're passive! The single coil is a single coil-sized humbucker, with rails, it has esp logo printed on it. I was wondering if its the kind of stock pickup like the ibz/dimarzios you change the same day you buy the guitar, or if it is considered a "good" pickup. To me it sounds a bit dark and bassy, but if I'd have to sell it I don't know how much I could earn..I'm thinking to replace it with an air norton anyway..

jt76

It is an M2 deluxe - that is the model with the single coil sized rail pickup,  for some years they say mii deluxe on the headstock, and some they just say mii.

If it only says mii with that configuration it probably puts the guitar around mid 90's 

The pickup is an esp sh100 - they called it the power rail.

I would consider it better than ibz/dimz or duncan designs ect.  But definitely not as good as an actual duncan or dimarzio

not worth much, but a fairly good sounding pickup for some situations.  

Good clean sounds but not a very aggressive pickup,

I have an air norton in neck position in one guitar and and the esp rail pickup in another,  To me the air norton is a better sounding pickup, but not a whole lot brighter.

Dimarzio has a lot of rail pickups, If you email them they respond quickly with suggestions on what pickups might work well for you.   The air norton might be the best choice,

or they might have something a bit brighter.  

on ebay

price range I have seen over the last few years $7 - $40

the last ones that sold went for $15 for a pair

If you are lucky you would probably get $20-$30 if someones specifically looking for one.

there is some nut trying to sell one for $199 at the moment

If you do pull that pickup and want to sell it let me know, I usually have a few project guitars sitting around

and I don't have a lot of single coil sized pickups at the moment.

I would give you $15 plus shipping

Denny G.

thank you very much for your infos and offer, glad to know I made the right choice considering air norton's option. just to be precise I have to say this guitar is labeled m2 custom on the headstock, and is a neckthrough guitar (but I tought they all originally came with esp actives, and that deluxes were bolt-on). I saw I guitar very similar to this in their pre 2000's catalogue. I sent a mail to esp asking for infos, but they didn'a answered me yet (thougmore than to weeks days have passed).

jt76

the mii deluxe model is bolt on, the mii custom is neck thru.   they made the customs in the the early 90's.   I may be possible to narrow down the production date by the headstock and inlays.  Post a picture if you get a chance. 

I belive they would have been available with emg's, seymour duncans, or the stock esp pickups.  

Post to Thread