NGD and family pics

Updated
NGD and family pics

I picked up a new Mirage Deluxe '87 a few weeks ago and figured it was time for some family pics!

The Mirage:

LTD RL-600 (picked this up a few months ago. Came with an X2N wish I swapped with a Dimarzio D-Activator. Wish I had the original EMG HZ H2)

ESP M-1 NTB (I've had this one since 2012. The guy I bought it from did the "refinish" on the front of the guitar):

Carvin DC127, metallic (lake placid?) blue (bought this in 2013. It's a mid 90s model. I swapped in a vintage '70s Dimarzio Super Distortion):

Charvel USA So-Cal Candy Tangerine (I bought this brand new in 2008. Various mods since then, such as pickguard and EMG-81. Some of y'all from the old forum probably remember this one):

Jackson Strat, 1987, gunmetal metallic (I bought this a few years ago. It was 30 years old but in excellent condition):

Jackson USA JJ bass (medium scale, 32"):

Fender American Original '50s Stratocaster (I put Tomastik Infeld flatwound strings on this. Sounds incredible)

Larrivee D-40R:

Road King

Nice collection, metalhobo. Loving the '87 as it has my favorite pickups for the H/S configuration. I am considering the turquoise one, despite the non-reversed headstock. If the pearl pink were a bit deeper in color, I'd probably be all over it.

Gfunk

If

the

pearl

pink

were

a

bit

deeper

I'd

probably

be

all

over

it.

metalhobo

deep pearl pink taco

:hungry:

Road King

Gfunk

Yo homo, how is the build quality and sound of the new LTDs?  Are they still MIK?

You said the setup was good, was it straight from the factory or did your retailer set it up?  Just curious.

metalhobo
Gfunk wrote:

Yo homo, how is the build quality and sound of the new LTDs?  Are they still MIK?

You said the setup was good, was it straight from the factory or did your retailer set it up?  Just curious.

quality is great. i was maybe slightly nervous as i always am when buying sight unseen, but the fit and finish really impressed me, even for wmi, especially with the neck, fretwork, and headstock. the 87 series is made in korea (wmi factory). not sure about other ltds. I know I've seen some 1000 series instruments that were indonesian. body finish is flawless, all hardware installed  perfectly. smaller details like the binding, inlays, and inside the cavities are as good as I'd expect from an ltd but obv not as meticulous as an esp. unplugged sound is snappy and resonant. maybe not quite as loud as my charvel or fender but those have one piece maple necks. plugged in, this guitar has plenty of bass and attack. a very full rhythm sound. with the sh-6, not as midrange heavy as you'd get with the same pickup in a set-neck or ntb, which is why i swapped it out for the h3. sounds like a sledgehammer now. 

I bought it from the axe palace brand new, though because the sale price was lowered it may have been a floor model, which could explain the setup. I definitely didn't ask for a setup tho. 

slab

I caught this pearl white gloriousness. 

metalhobo

fuckin killer. i'd be lying if I said I wasn't eyeing that bass.

also watching the kulick blue m-1 demo that just got posted woke something up inside me... damn, that color looks so much cooler in the video than in the stock photos!

slab
metalhobo wrote:

fuckin killer. i'd be lying if I said I wasn't eyeing that bass.

also watching the kulick blue m-1 demo that just got posted woke something up inside me... damn, that color looks so much cooler in the video than in the stock photos!

It's a monster. For 900 fins, I am impressed. 

Tip top, tommy.

Gfunk

Thanks homo.  I am considering picking up and older (mid-00s) LTD Viper 400 made in the WMI factory, and have had mixed results with previous purchases.  In other words, I am just trying to justify dropping the cabbage and rolling the dice.

I haven't had a Viper since I sold my camo to Van Krunk, almost 20 years.  HeyZeus E Christo..........  Time flies.

ESP 348

Great collection of guitars man, thanks for sharing.

metalhobo

The Search for STRAT continues...

recently acquired this '80s 400 Series, '60s style, in dakota red:

yes, the rosewood fingerboard is really that dark in person. mint green pickguard. this guitar rules. excellent thin C neck. yes, gfunk, the frets are vintage sized. brilliant bitey-yet-beefy sound. the original bridge position pickup has a broken winding (fixable), so it came with a duncan SSL-6 under the original cover, flat pole pieces, which actually sounds fantastic, even with high gain.

Gfunk

Wow, that is a classic! Is that "fiesta red"?  Looks to be in great shape.  Cool geetah, congas!

I recently got a new Fender Pro Strat, and immediately returned it because it was a turd.

I will find my 90s Vintage Plus one day.  Have fun!

metalhobo
Gfunk wrote:

Wow, that is a classic! Is that "fiesta red"?  Looks to be in great shape.

dakota red, the darker of the reds. and my excellent polishing and fotography "skills" definitely betray the fact that this pig is a real "player's" instrument. but, she's clean where it matters!

Glad to see the fires are still burning here despite the corporate BS.  Just wanted to say that old flamed neck Jackson with the deep scarf in the OP caught my eye and is absolutely amazing, but there are lots of incredible guitars in this thread.

metalhobo

thanks! that jackson is definitely one of my favorites.

Post to Thread