2018 Prototype Previews

Updated
2018 Prototype Previews

Hey ESP peoples. We've started sending out pictures of our prototype samples for 2018 model guitars and basses. ESP members should already have received the first preview pic in their email this morning. If you have any questions about these pictures, feel free to discuss them here.

Liam M.

That new Viper Black Metal looks gorgeous. Can't wait to see specs and more details!! 

Any hints as to other models that will pop up in the "Black Metal" series? 

Jeff K.

No hints. Hopefully we will have more prototypes in soon to photograph and send out! But yes, the others are also pretty spectacular. Thanks Liam.

Nate W.

Ebony board. Please!

Jeff K.

Nate, keep in mind that due to international law, many guitars from all manufacturers that formerly used ebony are moving to other materials due to environmental sustainability. We put out a pretty good article on the topic, if you want to learn more. http://www.espguitars.com/articles/2007472-moving-responsibly-into-the-future-with-sustainable-materials

Nate W.
Jeff K. wrote:

Nate, keep in mind that due to international law, many guitars from all manufacturers that formerly used ebony are moving to other materials due to environmental sustainability. We put out a pretty good article on the topic, if you want to learn more. http://www.espguitars.com/articles/2007472-moving-responsibly-into-the-future-with-sustainable-materials

So does the green EC-1000 have the Macassar ebony fretboard?

Noah B.

What kinda humbucker is going into that Viper BM? SD Blackwinter? I know there was a pic of an EC Black Metal on Instagram a bit back, so safe to assume that there's gonna be other bodies as well?

Jeff K.

For anyone who's asking about specific woods, components, and so on: later this year, we're going to do a full 2018 preview article that will have all the details. For the time being, some of these specifications will certainly change as we move from the prototypes into the final versions of these guitars, so we'd rather not give you any answers that could turn out to be wrong in a couple of months. For now, these are just previews... more info will be available soon. Thanks for your patience!

SunnyD

Just saw the new LTD Deluxe Viper Black Metal prototype and I would say that it would really benefit from a black richlite fretboard. The pau ferro/macassar ebony kinda throws off the whole "black metal" theme since the fretboard is brown and not jet black like the rest of the guitar. The black richlite gives the look, feel, strength and durability of jet black ebony (which is extremely rare/endangered and expensive) while being 100% sustainable and much cheaper. Brands like Gibson, Aristides, Martin, and other smaller builders have been getting very good results and feedback on their richlite fretboard guitars. I really hope to see ESP incorporate black richlite in many of the models in the future as I see zero downsides of richlite and only very beneficial positives. Decreased cost, increased aesthetics, and alot better for the environment. 

Jeff K.

Thanks for the suggestion, Sunny.

godsmack50

I just signed up today, when will I receive this email with the new 2018 models please ? 

Jeff K.

Hi Godsmack. We send one out each Friday. The next one will be in a week. Thanks for joining!

godsmack50
Jeff K. wrote:

Hi Godsmack. We send one out each Friday. The next one will be in a week. Thanks for joining!

ok , thanks !!!

Andrew R.

Please bring back the Viper basses w/EMGs in 2018! I love those things and they need to return ASAP!!!

Alex B.

I really like the new Black Metal series and how simplistic the design is (1 volume, 1 pickup). I'd be fine with getting the Viper, but a couple more body shapes would be awesome. I would personally like an F series Black Metal guitar, but I don't think it would sell when put up against a Viper or Eclipse.

josh s.

I got the second weeks email. what was week number 1?

Jeff K.

Kjetil (GRIM) Remen
Jeff K. wrote:

That EC is so beautiful. Will this be available with a evertune?

josh s.

Is this the ec401?

Jeff K.

No, it's an EC-1000FM in See Thru Green.

Jeff K.

Preview #2, which you All Access members should have received in your email last week: Viper Black Metal. 

Stonecat

I’ll be having one of these. I’ve been waiting for this configuration. Excellent.

Brandon S.

I really hope there's a 6 string version of this! 

Pushead

Is the All Access list separate from just regular board membership? I haven't gotten any of the three.

Jeff K.

Pus... no, it's the same community. You may have chosen to not receive marketing information from us, and we don't send this kind of stuff to those who don't ask for it. Do you receive our newsletter or other emails?

Pushead

Yeah, I get the monthly newsletters (or however often they come.) I checked my account info and it says I receive both the e-mail newsletter and content you think may interest me. I unclicked for partner e-mails though. Maybe that's it. I'll subscribe there and see if it comes this week.

Jeff K.
Pushead wrote:

Yeah, I get the monthly newsletters (or however often they come.) I checked my account info and it says I receive both the e-mail newsletter and content you think may interest me. I unclicked for partner e-mails though. Maybe that's it. I'll subscribe there and see if it comes this week.

It could be hitting your spam box for some reason. Stranger things have happened. Anyway, got another one lined up for this coming Friday.

AssMan

Any chance we will see the ACSB make a comeback?

Jeff K.

Amber Cherry Sunburst is a finish used on a number of current models, AssMan. 

AssMan

The Eclipse to be specific

Pushead

I got the one today. Must have needed Partner E-mails turned on since it's coming via Growsites and not directly from ESP.

I'm not sure if it's the Viper, or just that I'm not a seafoam/sage green kind of guy. I do approve of the matching headstock, though.

Jeff K.

Glad you're receiving them, regardless.  

Post to Thread