ESP Pricing. Insane or Inline

Updated
Fordman65

Wazzup people.

As a long time fan of ESP guitars, I was looking to get a custom level quality production model (Original or USA) Eclipse or possibly an ESP white Iron Cross. I've recently gravitated towards Andersons and Suhrs and couldn't be happier with them. Both are stellar in craftsmanship and tone. I can pickup a new Suhr or Anderson for around $3k-$3500. Used prices are about $2k-$2500 depending on model. The cheapest new ESP USA Eclipse can't be touched for under $4k. An Original or Signature series guitar are much more than that. Some push well into the $5-$6k. Such a significant gap IMO. I just don't get it.

Andersons and Suhr's are both handcrafted, as I'm sure the ESP's are. At least the USA and Originals. Not sure of the signtaure series. I don't mind spending good money on a high quality guitar, it's just ESP is pricing themselves out of my market. I acknowledge, there is some sour grapes here, but it's not like I want one for $1k. I'm wlling to spend upwards of $3k on a new one. Seems like if you're an actual player, ESP is driving you towards LTD, which I'm personally not likely to buy. IMO they are missing a large market of people who are interested in playing very high quality instruments not collecting them.

Road King

Guitar pricing is getting insane, along with cars, guns, etc. ESP offers some bolt-on USA models that are priced at the competition. I recently purchased an original series. The fretwork and finish borders on obsessive.

Fordman65

I do agree the bolt on M series may be a more appropriate comparison, but the options offered by ESP appear to be limited, while the Anderson and Suhr offer a huge variety. A custom Anderson Bobcat with a highly figured top is $4k new which may be the route I go. I wonder what a custom eclipse with a highly figured top would cost. I'm not interested in paying an extra$1k for the set neck, but I guess that's my choice. 

Maybe my problem is I like the USA models that are $5k-$6k not the ones that are around $3k. 

Fordman65

I just looked through the models offered on this site and I did see a couple of m series guitars that looked nice. Congrats on the new guitar. I've always been impressed with the quality of ESP.

Dave R.

The 'cheapest' new ESP USA Eclipse can be had for $3,499 (solid color/SD pickups). Pricing varies as you start to personalize with figured tops and pickup choice.

http://www.espguitars.com/pages/usa-eclipse

Big Daddy B

Wazzup people.

As a long time fan of ESP guitars, I was looking to get a custom level quality production model (Original or USA) Eclipse or possibly an ESP white Iron Cross. I've recently gravitated towards Andersons and Suhrs and couldn't be happier with them. Both are stellar in craftsmanship and tone. I can pickup a new Suhr or Anderson for around $3k-$3500. Used prices are about $2k-$2500 depending on model. The cheapest new ESP USA Eclipse can't be touched for under $4k. An Original or Signature series guitar are much more than that. Some push well into the $5-$6k. Such a significant gap IMO. I just don't get it.

Andersons and Suhr's are both handcrafted, as I'm sure the ESP's are. At least the USA and Originals. Not sure of the signtaure series. I don't mind spending good money on a high quality guitar, it's just ESP is pricing themselves out of my market. I acknowledge, there is some sour grapes here, but it's not like I want one for $1k. I'm wlling to spend upwards of $3k on a new one. Seems like if you're an actual player, ESP is driving you towards LTD, which I'm personally not likely to buy. IMO they are missing a large market of people who are interested in playing very high quality instruments not collecting them.

I've owned a number of Andersons over the year. Great guitars and great people too. I stopped by their factory and Tom gave me a personally guided tour of the operations. You can also send your guitars back to them for any work you need done...like refrets, etc. I bought a used Pro Am and the electronics were a mess. I dropped it off with Tom and discussed what I needed done and he had it back to me within 2 weeks. Much like ESP though, they take a bath on the used market.

Post to Thread