The Couch ? The BEST way to take a guitar collection picture

Updated
The Couch ? The BEST way to take a guitar collection picture

Hey friends,

It's been a long since I'm here now, and I've discussed with lot of passionates here, with beautiful colllections, and I came back with the same problem/question : What is the best way to take a guitar collection in picture ? 

Of course we've got THE COUCH  our best friend for a group photo ! But, our guitars deserve more than a couch, don't you think ?! 

We've got walls, pool table, racks, outside, ... but nothing unique for a family portrait ...

Feel free to share any idea concerning taking picture of 10+ guitars in the same frame, with style  

Cheers !

G.

Gfunk

Wow, that is awesome!  I did not know you were enriched with many ECs.

Saweet.

Pushead

I've had a superhero-like ability to find inexpensive Eclipses in the last 18 months or so.  Many are of the 4-knob variety.

John L.

Question...I noticed that the lower bout cutaway is slightly different on some guitars. When did that change? I'm just curious.

Pushead

Around 2005.  But that's not totally correct, either.  In the late 90s, the Eclipses were "Les Paul" shaped but semi-hollow bodies with bolt-on necks and 3 knobs.  They had the more rounded cutaway, similar to a LP.

(not my image)

I'm not exactly sure of when the switch was made (maybe 2000, or slightly thereafter), ESP went to a solidbody, set neck design with 4 knobs.  The Eclipse, as you likely know, is a bit thinner than a Les Paul, but otherwise, it was a fairly close tribute of a LP.

In 2004, Gibson filed an injunction against PRS over the PRS SC shape, claiming it was a violation of Gibson's trademark.  Somewhere in 2005-6, ESP modified the shape of the Eclipse for the North American Market.  Among the modifications, the shape of the horn was flattened out and they went back to the 3-knob layout of the late 90's. 

ESP coninued to make the 4-knob shaped Eclipses for the Japanese and Overseas markets through 2012 or so (Overseas meaning everywhere except North and South America).  The Overseas markets could also get 3-knob shaped guitars, they were sold as an Eclipse USA.  By the time E-II came around, every Eclipse model was the 3-knob shape.

The two shapes next to each other:

I don't believe ESP was actually sued, or even given a cease-and-desist from Gibson.  I think the pending litigation between PRS and Gibson was enough to cause change.  Even though PRS ended up winning the suit, ESP never particularly seemed like they were going to return to the 4-knob shape for the US.

Trashgreen

Yeah, just want to add that the first year of the E-II's,...and that would be 2013, the old horn design was still available for the Export market on a few models  

Gfunk

I like the 4 knob layout, but the 3 knob variety does not offend me like it did Kutie. 

It is not too disgusting:

Pushead

That's a sweet, sweet guitar.

The only thing that bothers me about the 3 knob thing (other than that I'm an old fart, and like my LP shapes with LP controls) is that ESP wired it up with the bridge volume closest to the bridge pickup instead of the middle.  I always end up rewiring it so it matches my KH guitars.

John L.

Thanks for the reply. I like the newer shape more ,as I think it adds a "modern" touch to a "classic" shape. My first Esp/Ltd was a Viper 301. I think it's also a modern take on the "SG" shape.

Guiguitarz

Here my version of the "Couch frame", with only the guitars I have home, ESPs 'White Zombie', 'Mummy' and the Jackson RR1T are missing.

And with my wife's guitar (Ibanez 77FP) and my Strat (AmStd 89) :

I need to get my missing guitars ASAP and make it complete 

Cheers,

G.

Gfunk

Hey what is the story on that Black Beauty?

It wouldn't happen to be an 81' with a shaved maple neck, would it?

frantic77

How are the neck shapes on those eclipses compared to gibson lpc and lp trads? 

Pushead

There's a bit of variation between my Eclipses, but  they're nice medium-thin necks.  They match up well to the shape of my 89 Custom and my late 70s Les Pauls.  The shape is very similar, nice and round, no huge shoulder coming to the fretboard.  They're thicker and rounder than the Gibson 60's necks. Thinner than the Gibson 50's necks.  I don't have much experience with the Traditionals.

frantic77

Thanks !

i play a lot my '14 LP Trad and when i switch to my KL or KH-20 the necks feel really thin.

Pushead

The Eclipse feels more like a Les Paul than my KH-2s.

Big Daddy B
Pushead wrote:

That's a sweet, sweet guitar.

The only thing that bothers me about the 3 knob thing (other than that I'm an old fart, and like my LP shapes with LP controls) is that ESP wired it up with the bridge volume closest to the bridge pickup instead of the middle.  I always end up rewiring it so it matches my KH guitars.

I have noticed that on another guitar recently as well. Actually when my tech dropped the EMGs in my Jackson, he did the same thing and when I asked him to reverse he did not believe me all my ESPs had the bridge volume in the middle until I showed him. So that must be a fairly common practice.

jt76

not ESPs but one of the better outside group shots I have gotten  

Gfunk

Collection. 

Nice.

jt76

thanks

Post to Thread