• Big Daddy B

The Hammett has landed

• ProfessorExp

How the hell? 

• Big Daddy B

Destiny my friend!

BTW for those that are curious (Rappa666) the bar code in the trem cavity corresponding to the number on the case was applied by Kirk's techs. Apparently that is how they track their extensive equipment inventory. I am guessing this guitar sat in storage (there was a nest of spider eggs I had to clean out of the corner of the case) so when a certain guitar is needed, they punch it up on the computer and it tells them which storage locker, studio, warehouse, country a particular piece is located.

• slab

sweet petunias

• Big Daddy B

A true KH fan would have saved the spider eggs and nurtured them to adulthood. They might have been the mystic eggs that end up on KH-3s.

U are right. I am a poor parent for not seeing their future potential.

P.S. You know what would go good with this guitar? A $1K strap.

How about a $2500 appraisal? That is what a certified appraiser in SoCal quoted me....to start. That's almost as much as I paid for the guitar. 

• Tondog

I moshed mightily in front of that very guitar on the Justice tour 8 times! I'm gobsmacked! Why on earth would that get sold...and by whom?! The back story is better than the guitar!

• Big Daddy B

I got it from a guy in SoCal who took it in on a trade. He didn't have any documentation of Kirk's ownership, so really didn't advertise it as such. Because of that there was not much interest and I was able to get it for roughly the same price as a new Tom Anderson Pro Am. I was able to match the guitar to Kirk's using the paint pattern since every bowling ball finish is unique. This one is actually not the guitar you are thinking of that was used on the Justice tour. That one was a black & white bowling ball. This one is black & gold. I am an acquaintance of Tom Anderson himself and he concurred both the black & white and black & gold were purchased by Kirk around the same time and retrofitted with EMGs. Kirk came back later for a red Grand Am made of lacewood that Tom outfitted with EMGs at the factory which is very rare. I plan to take this guitar back to Tom to get an EMG 81 installed in the bridge and the EMG S's working again. I was very pleasantly surprised that compared the pictures the seller posted on the ad, the guitar is in much better shape than I ever expected. Aside from a couple of paint chips and a single weather check by the neck pocket (and the electronics mess), it looks pretty close to new. No buckle rash or anything of the sort.

Here is the pic I used to match it. It is the one on the far left and the one you are remembering is to its right. Also below is a small pic of Kirk using my guitar in the studio. Tough to tell but you can see it has a dark paint streak by the high E tuning peg. The black & white one didn't have that streak.

• Jack TRiPpEr

I am not trying to be negative, but it seems fishy that a celebrity's guitar was sold without documentation going forward from that point that it was owned by that celebrity. Especially one that has this degree of 'tagging' by the celebrity's guitar techs and handlers.  For your own sake in terms of potential legal action against you now holding the goods, you may want to inquire with Hammett's people and verify that it was not stolen from him.

Again, I hope that this is not the case and all is on the up and up with it.

• Big Daddy B
      Jack TRiPpEr wrote:

I am not trying to be negative, but it seems fishy that a celebrity's guitar was sold without documentation going forward from that point that it was owned by that celebrity. Especially one that has this degree of 'tagging' by the celebrity's guitar techs and handlers.  For your own sake in terms of potential legal action against you now holding the goods, you may want to inquire with Hammett's people and verify that it was not stolen from him.

Again, I hope that this is not the case and all is on the up and up with it.

I have reached out through several channels

• Breadfan32

Congrats !  Cool story to go along with a great score!  

• Big Daddy B

Thanks. The story is still developing. I'm set to take hte guitar back to Anderson for the over haul but I still need to find out how much it is really worth. The formal appraisal seems pretty pricey so trying to get resourceful. I live in Vegas. I emailed the Pawn Stars to see if they are interested in doing a valuation!

• Madhat

Nice I live in Vegas too  

• Big Daddy B
      Madhat wrote:

Nice I live in Vegas too  

Where abouts? I am in the Green Valley area.

• Pushead

Wow.  Congratulations!

Price estimation wise, I couldn't say, but since it isn't a guitar that Kirk had a lot of exposure with (that I know of), his ownership probably won't add much to the value of the guitar to anyone except a major fanboi.  But a great story, none-the-less!

• Big Daddy B
      Pushead wrote:

a major fanboi

Guilty as charged, I am not looking to sell it. Just wanted to get a good valuation for insurance..

• ESP 348

Awesome guitar!!!! Maybe I should have bought it when you showed me.

Thanks for the pics, an amazing story for sure and the guitar looks incredible!

I might just buy that KH Strat you showed me, the thought of owning something KH actually played in the studio or live is pretty fucken awesome!!

• Big Daddy B
      ESP 348 wrote:

I might just buy that KH Strat you showed me, the thought of owning something KH actually played in the studio or live is pretty fucken awesome!!

Exactly my friend. That strat looks pretty cool with the aged nitro about the headstock. He has an ESP that looks the same even down to the aged headstock. To me the neck plate on that strat looked like it was engraved with jaymz's sig. The seller would neither confirm or deny if James owned it first and then sold it to Krk.

• ESPEXP

It's not engraved, its just the reflection in the one picture.

• Big Daddy B

Funny though how the reflection kinda looks like Jaymz's new sig!

Also I have the strat on my watch list just to see what it sells for. I just noticed the seller raised the price a couple of G's. Surely that can't be based on my one email inquiring on the neck plate. That isn't enough interest to warrant raising the already exorbenant asking price!!

• ESPEXP

Yea it does look like it. That guitar is way over priced!

Post to Thread