Vox Stomplab?

Updated
Vox Stomplab?

Anybody tried one of these out? I'm having a really hard time finding anyone discussing the distortion abilities of this cheap little thing. Considering I'm currently jamming in a Doom/Fuzz band I don't need razor sharp sound, but if I want some mud I'll flip on my neck pickup, ya know? I certainly prefer a more precise, sharp distortion as opposed to a blunt, muddy thud.

The amp I'm playing on is a Peavey Butcher, with a Mesa cabinet. I hate the amps high gain channel sound. I was playing through a Digitech RP100A, and of course the plastic buttons cratered on me the other day. It surprisingly had a satisfactory ability to provide a mean, crispy yet thick, heavy distortion unlike other Digitech models I've tinkered with. It was given to me, and replacing it would be dirt cheap, but I refuse to purchase a stompbox with plastic buttons. "Stompbox," and "plastic," shouldn't even be used in the same sentence. What a world.

The Vox is built in a steel housing, with metal switches, and also has an expression pedal. I can't seem to find many used online, which suggests either the people who buy them keep them, or, no one buys them because they suck. The positive reviews I see fail to mention any balls in the distortion department and I don't want to buy something that can't provide me with the most basic function I need it for. The bells and whistles are all just a bonus. I do love some delays, tremolos, chorus, etc.

It's only $89 and that's not an issue to me, but my wife however, well, can think of a million other things she'd rather me spend $89 on.

Dale T.

Alright, well I found a used one at a local pawn shop and snagged it for $60. My first impression is this little thing is pretty killer. I am already convinced I can get a great solid, meaty distortion and the build is fantastic. The pedal itself is about the size of a bar of soap, so it's a little awkward but functions well.

Post to Thread