Randall RG100ES vs. RH150

Updated
Randall RG100ES vs. RH150
So for you Randall users, if you had the choice between a RG100es (Dimebag favored) or a RH150, which would you choose? theres a RH150 at my local GC for 300 bucks, and a RG100es on craigslist for 200 (both come with footswitch.) Ive been wanting that RH, but Ive recently been reading some reviews where they talk about a few problems (very bassy. vol. cuts out,) So before its too late, should I try to get the RG? note: the RH150 has built in effects. and I like some chorus in my clean..so thats a plus on the RH end
Sixstringhotshot

Built in effects aren't very adjustable...would not consider that a selling point if you are picky about your tone.

Shaun

it sounded pretty good when i tried it. (effect wise) but the distortion seemed to lessen out on the higher frets and strings, is that normal? this was on the RH150

Sixstringhotshot

Yep but its not unique to that amp. Small strings vibrate less than big strings. Short strings (high frets) vibrate less than long strings.

More vibration = more signal strength = more distortion

Shaun

never seemed to do that on the spider, hm.
Do you have any experience with either? Can you tell a little about either of them?

deus ex machina

The RH150 is a fine amp, IMO. It is very bassy indeed, but nothing that can't be solved by being conservative with the bass knob.

The RH150 can get you a very Pantera-esque tone if you want it to.

The RH150 has independent EQ controls for each channel.

I think what you're hearing about the distortion lessen on the high notes is because the Randall is much less compressed/saturated than the high-gain models on the Spider. The Randall's definitely gonna be more unforgiving about inconsistent playing. It's definitely a high gain amp, but it's not UBER UBER gainy, IMO. If you feel it's not gainy enough for you, you could try a boost with it.

The chorus on the RH150 (is it a G3?) is actually pretty decent too. I don't think it's digital.

That being said, tho, I haven't really tried the RG100ES...

Shaun

thanks for the info. I think im gonna go ahead with the RH150. do you have any experience with the R412JB cab? (randall) its got jaguar speakers. I posted some pics in the "behringer vt100 head" forum.

NeedsMoreBlueBell

As someone who owned a RG80XP (The little brother of the RG100ES with circuitry that reduced the volume drop when the sustain boost is one), I think the RH150 is a better amp. It has more gain and a tighter, more modern sound. The RG80/100 is more of a "classic" sounding amp in the vein of 80's amps like Marshalls and Mark-series Boogies and needs a boost and an EQ to give you a modern sound.

If you can, FIND THE G3+, NOT THE NORMAL G3. The G3 is looser, has even more bass, less gain, and has reliability problems. The G3+ solves those problems.

As for the cab, whats your budget? You can probably find a V30-loaded Carvin Legacy cab for around $300 - $400. I haven't heard many good things about Randall Jaguar speakers, and I own a 1x12 that is loaded with one, and its... less than adequate.

Shaun

My budget is my line 6 spider and peavey vypyr... im out of money but im trying to trade them for somethin

Shaun

Okay doin some image searches...
I believe its not a G3plus. But it is the rh150Dg3
...theres a D in there...is there a normal rh150g3?

Shaun

Found a picture of it that i took while i was at GC with it.
Its not a G3plus.
Still good?

NeedsMoreBlueBell

Thats the non-G3. The D means it has the built-in DSP effects.

And what Line 6 and Vypyr do you have?

MV-CTM

RH250 G2 also kicks ass FWIW. Apparently they have a new one the RG1503 but I have only heard/seen it on their website.

Shaun

Its a vypyr 15 and spider 75, spider has the footswitch, (100 bucks new) and are both in perfect condition.

Shaun

The guy who has the cab originally said he valued it at 250, after seeing some pictures. Its certainly not that much. A few people on random forums i searched said they wouldnt pay more than 200 ish for a good condition one. This ones pretty beat up. Im thinkin about proposing to trade the vypyr and a few bucks cash

deus ex machina

On the G3 vs. G3+ matter: I have not tried the G3+, if I must be honest, so take this as a grain of salt...

However, I have tried both the G2 and G3 series. There is a difference between both, yes, but it's not nearly as big.

What I'm trying to say is that even though there surely is a difference between the G3 and G3+, but, in my most humble opinion, I REALLY doubt that you'll go "Yeah, the G3 sounds plain unusable compared to the G3+". I'm dead sure that with a little bit of tweaking, they can be made to sound quite close. It's not like they re-invent the design from the ground up every time they come up with a G-something update.

I doubt you'll find the G3 sounds too bad if you dig the G3+, especially if you have a tight budget and already found an ok deal on a G3.

Hell, >I< have liked the G3 (and G2) for the style of music that I dig over several tube amps.

Sixstringhotshot

There are tons of good 4x12s out there for cheap with V30s or some other quality speaker. There is no reason to subject yourself to the tonal abomination of Jaguar speakers.

Post to Thread