Overdrive Through High Gain Amps

Updated
Overdrive Through High Gain Amps
So for fun the other evening, we were trying to duplicate the heaviest guitar tone of the ages which I believe to be Entombed's "Clandestine" album. How in the HELL did they get that sound out of their amps and what did they use? I use a Mesa Dual Rec which is a pretty high gain setup but nothing close to what this sound is like. I plugged in an MXR fullbore metal pedal and so far, it really boosts the high end more than the low throaty crunch sound. Anyone try and duplicate it and if so...how?
Ozwepaie

Your pre-amp tubes will have a HUGE effect on your overall tone. I'd start there.
And "fullbore metal" is hands down the worst pedal I've ever heard.

If you like overdrive stomp boxes? The MXR Zakk Wilde or Boss Super OD are awesome.

Tondog

Your pre-amp tubes will have a HUGE effect on your overall tone. I'd start there.
And "fullbore metal" is hands down the worst pedal I've ever heard.

If you like overdrive stomp boxes? The MXR Zakk Wilde or Boss Super OD are awesome.

I've got whatever the 6L6 tubes are that come in the dual rectifier one.

I thought the Zakk W pedal was just the fullbore pedal!?

Ozwepaie

6L6 are power amp tubes. & ZW is an overdrive.

Murdoc

You can get some insane dist outta the MT-2. The fullbore has been reviewed as dissapointing. I've never used it.

Tondog

6L6 are power amp tubes. & ZW is an overdrive.

...er yeah...I swear I remembered that. :rolleyes:

robert

Entombed recorded their first two records with a Boss HM-2 through a solid state peavey combo amp. The HM2 will basically get you that old swedish death like Entombed and Dismember. You can find them from $30-$60 used. I have one and it sounds huge. Also check out Black Breath, a newer band utilizing the HM2

Ozwepaie

If you want killer metal tone @ low volume. (good for recording)
See if you can find an mid 90'z pedal called, "Zoom driver 5000".
It sound amazing up to about 25w. Then for some reason it seems
to go flat?? But down low.... It's a monster! And a "must have" for
any studio. You should be able to track one down on eBay for $75.

deus ex machina

b-1vcuKcXeI

Clandestine was actually a Boss HM-2 into a Peavey Bandit.

Geetarguy70

That tone above was awful. Sounded like an AM radio so couldn't tell if he was being a smartass or not

deus ex machina

Yeah, the vid sounds particularly bad. Doesn't really sound much like Clandestine in that vid, but the HM-2 is THE pedal for that tone Swedish dudes like Entombed were going for.

NeedsMoreBlueBell

Id try Guitarcenters uses section on their website. Ive seen them go as low as $30 there.

Tondog

Id try Guitarcenters uses section on their website. Ive seen them go as low as $30 there.

Funny you should say that...went to local music store over lunch and picked one up for $45 but it's pretty beat up looking. They said to give it hell and if it didn't work, to bring it back...so I'm out nothing either way.

NeedsMoreBlueBell

Had any luck?

Post to Thread