head guys

Updated
shathe
got a mesa mark v coming and i need a cable. what cable do you run from your head to your cab? guage, brand, length etc. i want a high quality cable (and i'm not interested in getting raped by monster).
JSHRED

I was already starting to type my reply and then I saw your comment about Monster.

Then again, I have loved my monster cables so much that I guess it isn't rape? Which is probably a good thing when dealing with anything called Monster.

I've always heard great things about Mogami, but they're expensive, so that might just be another flavor of non-consentual cable abuse. I'd be curious to hear what other players are using.

shathe

Then again, I have loved my monster cables so much that I guess it isn't rape? Which is probably a good thing when dealing with anything called Monster.

I've always heard great things about Mogami, but they're expensive, so that might just be another flavor of non-consentual cable abuse. I'd be curious to hear what other players are using.

heh heh

jet66

I usually build my own, but with speaker cable, you don't have to be as picky as you do with instrument cables. Pretty much any decent brand you find in the local music store will be fine. Rapco/Horizon, Planet Waves, Pro Co, etc. The biggest thing is I prefer to go 14 ga or heavier, with soldered-on plugs. (Vs. molded.)

shathe

I usually build my own, but with speaker cable, you don't have to be as picky as you do with instrument cables. Pretty much any decent brand you find in the local music store will be fine. Rapco/Horizon, Planet Waves, Pro Co, etc. The biggest thing is I prefer to go 14 ga or heavier, with soldered-on plugs. (Vs. molded.)

you mean the repairable twist-on metal plugs? yeah, i prefer those too because i like to fix my own stuff.

what lengths are you guys using? i'm just going to set the head on the cab and i don't really want 50 ft of cable to screw with. i'm thinking 6 or 10 ft would be fine, but most of the stuff i'm seeing is 50 ft. :eek:

also, any negs in going with higher gauge? 10? 12? should just make it easier for the amp to drive the cab right?

JSHRED

You want a heavy cable. Thicker is better. Any girl will tell you the same thing, lol.

I'd say anything 14 ga or less (thicker) is quite adequate. And a shorter cable is better. Unless you ever see the head being anywhere other than on top of the cab, a 6 foot cable is perfectly fine. The longer the cable, the more the signal suffers.

Irontusk73

Planet Waves

shathe

You want a heavy cable. Thicker is better. Any girl will tell you the same thing, lol.

I'd say anything 14 ga or less (thicker) is quite adequate. And a shorter cable is better. Unless you ever see the head being anywhere other than on top of the cab, a 6 foot cable is perfectly fine. The longer the cable, the more the signal suffers.

that's what i thought. i might just buy some connectors and make my own. i have some 10 0r 12 gauge left over from wiring my room for my 6 ohm speakers.

jet66

There is no problem going with heavier cable, it just costs more. I run as short as I can, mainly to cut the clutter. You only need really heavy gauge if you are running a lot of watts a long way, like from power amps to PA speakers. With most heads, going through less than 10' of speaker wire, your amp won't work any more or less whether it's 14 ga twisted or 0000 solid copper. :p

shathe

i could just get a couple of pieces of old copper tubing wrap 'em in electrical tape and solder some plugs on.

Velt017

I have a couple heavy peavey cables that I've been using for a few years. They've been fantastic.

I also like my Monster and planet waves cables.

Murdoc

got a mesa mark v coming and i need a cable.

what cable do you run from your head to your cab?
guage, brand, length etc. i want a high quality cable (and i'm not interested in getting raped by monster).
Obviously your mind is already made up, so I won't let you in on the little secret of my ProStudio Speaker Cable. It blows everything the fuck away.;)

shathe

Obviously your mind is already made up, so I won't let you in on the little secret of my ProStudio Speaker Cable. It blows everything the fuck away.;)

?

actually seems like a surprisingly small batch of potential products.
monster pisses me off because instead of listing the ACTUAL CABLE SPECIFICATIONS, like wire gauge (yeah, why would that be important), they have a long list of "features" like "handwrapped by keebler elves and soaked in magical cheetah urine for high quality resonance field adaptational environmental signal stability".

load more replies (1 of 1)
ammar

I have a 3ft Lava Cable speaker cable.....i didn't realize how much of difference a speaker cable will do until I replaced the stock one......

I also use Planet Waves for patch and instrument cable......top quality.

frantic77

EVidence Audio The Siren

Lazeron

Planet Waves Custom Series

Beto

I had to make the same decision a couple of weeks ago.

I read good things about Lava cables and Divine Noise cables.

But in the end, I bought a 6-ft Mogami Gold Speaker cable for $46 from GC. AFAIK, you can't go wrong with Mogami.

Goji

If you want a good speaker cable, the Lava Tephra cable is what you want. Its just 3 foot but thats all you need if your head is on top of your cab. You wont find a better cable than this for head to cab. :)

Post to Thread