I'm having a bit of 2x15 GAS...

Updated
With_Strength_I_Burn
I'm having a bit of 2x15 GAS, thus I'm having quite a lot of difficulty in satisfying myself because of the limited quantity of 2x15 guitar cabinets floating around. I've been contemplating buying a 2x15 bass cabinet and installing the speakers that I'm GASing over (15" Eminence Commonwealths) but I'm worried about it not sounding good because of the acoustical differences between bass and guitar cabinets. Does anybody have any knowledge on this topics, or at least some additional hypothesis that I could supplement with my own to make a better decision? I'm figuring that if I can find a 2x15 bass cabinet with no sound holes and dimensional properties similar to that of a guitar cabinet, then all should sound well. Any input?
Feraledge

I had a Fender Bassman cab for a while and it sounded good, but couldn't hold up with my Marshall 1960BV. The other guitarist in my band at the time was using an older 2 x 15" that matched his 4 x 12" in size and I want to say it was a Little Joe, but I can't remember. His sounded really nice together, but mine just didn't have it.
I've seen used Randall 2 x 15"s pretty cheap on Craigslist and it might be worth going that route and then swapping out the speakers. I'm sure the ones that Vader makes are pretty sick and the Emperor cabs are really, really nice.
All this is assuming you want to run it with a 4 x 12". Otherwise you can get a really heavy sound out of a 2 x 15" but it will lack clarity at volume.
I stopped using the 4 x 12"/2 x 15" cabs because I could get a really amazing sound out of them, but no club or shitty bar sound person wants to mic both of your cabs. So if you get an amazing sound using two, only those on or close enough to hear how you've dialed it in are going to get that full glimpse. House shows or no mics, perfect. Venues that'll double mic, great. But those are few are far between.

Sixstringhotshot

99% of all venues out there won't double mic anything, but so what. Just have them mic the 4x12 and deal with it. Through the PA it will sound just like your rig did before you added the 2x15, and if you're not happy with that sound you should've bought a new amp instead of a 2x15. ;)

Feraledge

That's not necessarily true, a 2 x 15" does sound different than a 4 x 12", so you're going to re-EQ your amp to compensate. I found the 2 x 15"s give more of a scooped sound and gave depth to the 4 x 12". I adjusted so that the they shared the load of creating one sound.
It's almost the same as my old bassist running two heads to create one sound, but every time only one was mic'd or run direct, it didn't sound right.
I think there are all kinds of crazy combinations you can use to get a completely amazing sound, but for the most part, the folks doing the sound at clubs, bars, whatever couldn't give two shits about you or your tone and are just going to stick one mic to one speaker. Not saying you shouldn't go nuts with gear, but just from my experience, sometimes it's best to leave the guess work out of it.

Sixstringhotshot

I'm with you dude, I like 2x15s. I own three of them. I just hate hauling gear, and two cabinets is twice as much work to get fucked by the sound guy. Someday soon though I want to bring ALL my cabs to a gig. :lol

Post to Thread