Whats your favorite single coil pickup for the slanted neck position on ESPs & LTDs?

Updated
thez0r
I'm going around a bit in circles trying to figure out what would be the best option. I have two mavericks (mv-200 and mv-300). The mv-200 has a SD JB in the bridge and it sounds exactly how I want it to. The duncan designed hotrail in the slant-neck position leaves a bit to be desired. There are a ton of choices now on the market for single coil sized dual rail type pickups: ie, The hot rail, cool rail, vintage rail, little '59, lil' screamin demon, the JB Jr., etc Seems to be way too many options. On my mavericks I'm playing metal, death metal, some rock, jazz-rock fusion. I'm tempted by the lil' screaming demon for its alleged jazz/jazz-rock fusion properties but who knows. Its $70-100 a shot to try one. Would be interested to hear what those who have the slant neck pickups are using.
Justinschut

Please sell me your MV-300, thanks.

thez0r

Please sell me your MV-300, thanks.

I'm sure you'll hate me for saying this but I actually like my MV-200 a lot more. Neck is slightly fatter and fretboard more narrow. I'm going to get an MV-100 next for the basswood body and stick with the bolt-ons.

I'd love to get one of the ESP mavericks but I don't think they came with fixed bridges... and I have no idea what the necks are like.

DiMarzio ProTrack or Fast Track 1

I was actually thinking about a Chopper from the DiMarzio camp. But I have to admit every DiMarzio humbucker I've ever tried I haven't liked the sound of.

el_destrukto

DiMarzio ProTrack or Fast Track 1

jsp

I like the Duncan Quarter Pounder.

Justinschut

Interesting, I've never actually played an MV cuz you don't see them around here but I've always like the way they look

thez0r

Interesting, I've never actually played an MV cuz you don't see them around here but I've always like the way they look

I'd say 99% of players and 100% of esp/ltd players would prefer the mv-300.

Only reason I like the MV-200 over it is because the fretboard is slightly narrower than typical ESP/LTD boards. I have some fairly crippling CTS and playing injuries from 20 years of being shitty to my joints... so I am limited to 24.75 guitars in the first place. The guitars I like are usually woefully unpopular.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

I've used the air norton s and I currently have the chopper.

I like the articulation of the chopper, but there are some of the warmer elements of the air norton that I like also. I'd be very interested in trying the pro track.

thez0r

I like the articulation of the chopper, but there are some of the warmer elements of the air norton that I like also. I'd be very interested in trying the pro track.

I like bumblefoots sound and he swears by the Chopper for the neck pickup. His tone is amazingly articulate but not overly warm... almost kind of "plasticy". I think when it comes to neck pickups anything with a "warm" sound is also going to have low output and not enough gain (like the lil'59 or any paf modeled pickup).

Other end of that argument is the JB jr/neck where people say it has tons of gain but its very harsh.

The Fast Track 1 is a brighter single-coil-ish sound and the Pro Track has a warmer more humbucker-ish tone. I like both.

How is the pro-track when the coils are split? The page says its a good high gain as well as Jazz sound. I'm going to be using a push/pull tone pot for coil splitting in the bridge JB as well as whatever pickup goes into the neck.

The Dimarzio's are nice, but I'm wanting more single coil character with more output than most of Dimarzio's stacked singles.

These kinds of pickups are more of a trade-off than anything. More coils, more options hopefully, at least in theory.

load more replies (1 of 1)
el_destrukto

The Fast Track 1 is a brighter single-coil-ish sound and the Pro Track has a warmer more humbucker-ish tone. I like both.

I also like the Cruiser. I had one in the middle position of the Vintage Plus I sold to Spoony.

Metlupass2

I like the older stock ESP rails pickups.

Post to Thread