Tubes for Peavey 6505+ ?

Updated
Monologous
Hello folks! It sounds like it's time for me to change the tubes in my 6505+. Haven't changed them before, but the amp sounds crappy and farty, so I think it's time now. I have no idea which tubes too choose though. Anyone in particular that are favored for this amp?
Velt017

Peavey's and JJs sound pretty great together.

zerosk8r900

I'm retubing my 6505+ with some Winged "C" SED 6L6GC's. They're quite a bit more expensive than the JJ's, but from most of the reviews/demo's I've seen, they seem to go with the 6505 series really well. You can never go wrong with JJ's though :)

Kannon

I'm retubing my 6505+ with some Winged "C" SED 6L6GC's. They're quite a bit more expensive than the JJ's, but from most of the reviews/demo's I've seen, they seem to go with the 6505 series really well. You can never go wrong with JJ's though :)

+1 to this and what Phil said about Eurotubes. I used tge SEDs with my Roadster and i may go back to them when my 6505+ needs new lightbulbs.

gorsch

I really liked TAD 6L6 WGC-STR with my 5150II. Then a Tung Sol 12ax7 in V1. Then you can easily get away with cheap Chinese tubes the rest of the way. Or add a Penta 12ax7 for the 2nd gain stage to "tame" it a little bit and warm it up. I really liked that cuz it got ride of the "sizzle" or fizz associated with those amps.

Monologous

I'll keep all suggestions in mind. I got a hold of some JJ's 6l6cg and ECC83S. Will be very interesting to try it. And I'd like to try something different next time, some of your other suggestions. Thanks guys!

ozzuk1

Dont mix the powertubes or use KT's eurotubes were nutorious for giving people bad advice for some powertube choices, mainly with the XXX and people were blowing the screen grid resistors. Peavey techs came along and said dont tell people to use those tubes KT66's or was it E34L's?? maybe, and he argued with them, I dont think i'd give my business to a guy who gave people bad advice that damaged their amps and argued with the manufacturer who said it wasent safe...

I highly reccomend the JJ tesla 6L6GC's for the power section...

Dougstubes seems to have a good rep...

I' ve heard good stuff about valvequeen too...

load more replies (1 of 1)
Takeoffyouhoser80

I purchased a set of JJ power tubes from them (Euro) several years back and put them in my 6505+. Unfortunately one of the tubes was bad and I ended up blowing a screen resister(s), or so I was told by the amp tech. He also told me the brand new JJ's that I had just purchased were "burned out" and that he was going to charge me for a new set of power tubes on top of the replacement of the resistors. $300+ and 2 months later I had a working 6505+ again. Call me superstitious but I never purchased tubes from them again.

Pushead

I've still never had a bad experience with them. I've retubed the amp since that last post (maybe my other one, too).

Takeoffyouhoser80

For all I know my issue could have been preexisting. I'd just rather not take any chances.

Post to Thread