EMG 81, 85, and 60 in the bridge @9 and 18V comparison.

Updated
deus ex machina
So I've been meaning to do a shootout like this for a LONG time, but I've been too lazy to do it. Fortunately, I found this video on YouTube that pretty much confirms my findings: csLdjhs7r4o Video is not mine, but I found it pretty interesting, and thought I'd share it with you guys in case there was still any debate about how each of this pickups sounds with and without the 18V mod. :)
Crazyfrase

Interesting comparison.

However IMO the difference is nothing that can't be achieved with minimal tweaking of a decent amp.

18V definitely seems to be more rounded.

jet66

I think I noticed the biggest difference on the cleans (not surprising), but yeah, I don't know if it's enough difference to make room for a second battery. That said, it's so hard to accurately judge anything from a youtube video.

deus ex machina

Yeah, the difference with the 18V mod is subtle. Personally, I feel it helps tame the high-mid spike on the 81 a little. I don't like what it does for the 85, tho. And I just don't like the 60 in the bridge, be it @9 or 18V.

themisfit138

I don't think there is enough of a difference to do an 18v mod. I still like the clean tones of the 85 and 60 best.

brandono61cr

i dig the 85 @ 9 in the bridge , the 60 is interesting but i would never do it .

85 @ 18 is PHAIL

Velt017

60 in the bridge is dumb.

OutlawTorn

i love the tone of the 60 in the neck of my viper. I would never use the 60 as a bridge pickup. The 18V Mod i cant really tell the difference in the "Distortion" section, maybe it was the amp... The Cleans however make me want to do the 18V mod, someone posted a while back a wiring diagram that showed a non permanent 18v mod using a couple of 9V battery connectors hooked to the main circuit, if my Viper's control cavity is large enough i'm seriously considering doing it

With_Strength_I_Burn

I tried the 18V mod a while ago and didn't like it. However, I swapped out the 25K volume pot with a 100K pot and I was much happier with those results.

deus ex machina

^What kind of difference was there?

Zilla

85 for standard on down to D standard.

81 for anything lower than D.

Is generally how I feel about EMGz.

antikue

The new X models are quite good - very close to the originals at 18v. The X's are a bit more dynamic and less compressed yet, just as advertised. I also noticed that the Blackout (model 1) is actually the brightest of the bunch - and still my favourite with its broad EQ spectrum :)

(Tested EMG 81@18v, 81-X and the Blackout at the bridge position of a LPC).

deus ex machina

The new X models are quite good - very close to the originals at 18v. The X's are a bit more dynamic and less compressed yet, just as advertised. I also noticed that the Blackout (model 1) is actually the brightest of the bunch - and still my favourite with its broad EQ spectrum :)

(Tested EMG 81@18v, 81-X and the Blackout at the bridge position of a LPC).
I'd like to try the 81-X. I wonder how much of a difference there is in running the 81-X and the BO @18V.

Zilla

Super 3

Pushead

But what color was the guitar?

Newfs

9v vs 18v = less clipping/more head room w/ 18v.

If you dont want the stock gritty clipping type sound the stock 9v and you want more clarity for leads then 18v may be for you.

When I tried it, i really didnt like it, its almost like it robbed my mesa of some of the power.

Post to Thread