JB & 59 duncs or 81 & 85/60 EMGs?

Updated
morphius1
Im sure there's already a similar thread on here but I cant find it. So what set of pups are better? I have a 81&60 set in my EC but listening to LoG im curious to try out the dunc set in willy adlers sig. Any comments on which generally sound better? Thanks
exhibit-sbt

they are different and used for different sounds, i dont really know if you could call them better than one or another. all about tweaking your amp and how you play them.

5150-Viper

all out metal def. EMGs.. versatility and still being able to get a nice heavy tone.. JB/59

TheDevilHimself

I prefer the EMGs. The 85 is a great neck humbucker for overdriven sounds and the 81 cuts through the mix wonderful in a band setting. I have a JB in my baritone and it didn't nearly cut through the band mix as well as the EMG81. The JB does sound very nice at home though, but in louder settings I find it a bit icepicky. The reason I kept it is that I love Arch Enemy's leads and the JB will give you that, however I'm throwing it out soon (in favor of a Bareknuckle actually).

KH Guitar Freak

Dual EMG 81s FTW!!!

5150-Viper

^^don't listen to this fool.. he only listens to metallica :)

KH Guitar Freak

^^don't listen to this fool.. he only listens to metallica :)

:rollin

Only a fool would say the dual EMG 81s is the Metallica tone. Go buy yourself a clue if you are able...

morphius1

Haha!! I may consider the duncs for my jackson then, I was going to get 81+85 but I would prefer not to have any hassle with batteries.

On the other hand though, I'm in a band so the good ol' 81 may just save me! :S

Thrash

Im sure there's already a similar thread on here but I cant find it.

a thread? more like a thousand.

Go try them. The pickups that is.

Disasterpiece

EMGs.

be unique.

xchumfiestax

EMGs.

be unique.

how is that unique?

Gh0st

I think he was joking. I hope.

Borked Bob

I think he was joking. I hope.

i dont think he was :\

load more replies (1 of 1)
Mr Pigwalk

I like the JB, but if I only had one guitar, that wouldn't be the pickup I'd have in it.

Harvesterofsorrow1199

its liek comparing apples ot oranges, try em out and pick what you liek best dude. nothign we say on here shoudl matter

landon w

ive had both, JB & 59 are what I prefer. Can sound heavy and warm too. You do sacrafice though.

you will NOT get that crazy dimebag shrilly crunch with the afore mentioned, i dont care how much you tweak your amp or what rig your running.

I believe your amps are 90% of your tone but your pups are the next most important factor regardless of yor guitar.

Hope this helps

Post to Thread