How to test if a speaker is blown

Updated
Imperial Greg
I have a marshall 4x12 cab I got for $50. the dude left the speakers in it, and said it was useless because they were blown, and he doesnt know why, but it just does not work anymore. How can i test each speaker to see which ones will still work if any? I doubt all 4 were blown... they all look fine to me, but i'm no expert. Any advice??
Deadpulse

i think you can just check the impedance with a meter.

idpmofo

If you notice an awful vibration, its probably blown

You can look at it. If the cone has separated from the coil, its blown.

Using a meter, if the impedence shows an infinite, its blown. If you get a reading, its not

Imperial Greg

when i plugged the head into the cab. it made zero sound. so im gonna buy a tester thing. my buddy got a 9 volt battery, hooked it up to wires, and tested like that some how. 2 speakers made some pulsing noises. 2 made zero noise. so he says those two were blown, and the other 2 were not. so i guess ill get the tester thing just to make sure.

Mr Pigwalk

when i plugged the head into the cab. it made zero sound. so im gonna buy a tester thing. my buddy got a 9 volt battery, hooked it up to wires, and tested like that some how. 2 speakers made some pulsing noises. 2 made zero noise. so he says those two were blown, and the other 2 were not. so i guess ill get the tester thing just to make sure.

That's exactly what we did before sending out equipment when I used to work live sound. We had some fancier tester with different speaker jack ends, but all they did was send out a 9v jolt to whichever pair you selected. If it passes the battery test it's good. If not usually it means the speaker coil is blown.

Roidster

a 9 volt battery is your best friend on the road
just remember the speaker is too push out not in
if the speaker is sucking in then reverse the polarity

sirsloop

a 9 volt battery is your best friend on the road
just remember the speaker is too push out not in
if the speaker is sucking in then reverse the polarity

x2. Solder some leads on a 9V and go speaker to speaker. It should move freely without any scratching/binding in the motor. If you hear something other than the speaker making a pop, its probably got motor damage and is on its way out. If it doesn't move at all, its totally shot. Just touch the battery on there for a second... you don't wanna melt the coil...

Mike E Majik

Just ask it if it had a good time.

Post to Thread