Stompbox for heavy distortion

Updated
Zakk EXP
Hey guys! I want to use stompboxes now instead of the multi-FX I use for 3 years now, I'm just tired of it. I'm playin' a Kustom solid-state head (wanted to buy a tube-amp but was very impressed of this "cheap" one) which I want to use for crunchsounds etc., but I need a pedal for a nice metal-sound, not too muddy, fat and tight, for Black and Death Metal shit. I was looking for some BOSS pedals, for example the MT2 and ML2, but don't really know them. So what would you advise? (my other stuff is a Seymour Duncan equipped Gibson Explorer and a Marshall 1960A) Thanks in advance! (PS: I don't want to see sentences like "get the EMGzorz" or a Mesa/Diezel/Engl, a V30 cab or something else, just a nice stompbox for my kind of music ;) )
Zakk EXP

I played some different pedals in the shop and the winner was the Boss MT2, because of the wide range of sounds, I play in different bands and get everything from Van Halen like distortion til really sick Death Metal sounds.

ProCo Rat and all the others didn't have the sound I was searching for.

LordCliffton

Since you're in Germany already why not get an Engl Fireball?
Your current 1960A Marshall cab will do fine with it.

Even a used Fireball would do the trick much better than any almost any SS amp out there... If you're dead-set on SS, ditch the Kustom & get yourself something slightly higher quality like the Randall RH200 or a Peavel XXL(recently discontinued in the last year or 2).

Pups are your choice,, but a lot of death metal guys like the X2N,, Chuck from Death used to swear by 'em.
That is all.

Zakk EXP

Since you're in Germany already why not get an Engl Fireball?
Your current 1960A Marshall cab will do fine with it.

Even a used Fireball would do the trick much better than any almost any SS amp out there... If you're dead-set on SS, ditch the Kustom & get yourself something slightly higher quality like the Randall RH200 or a Peavel XXL(recently discontinued in the last year or 2).

Pups are your choice,, but a lot of death metal guys like the X2N,, Chuck from Death used to swear by 'em.
That is all.

Yeah, sooner or later I will surely get some tube-shit, but I really like my actual sound of the Kustom, I think I can live with it a longer time.

I don't work now (getting the A-level and go to a university), so it isn't so easy to buy a tube-amp, even used...

I like my Seymour Duncan SH14 and Pearly Gates set, I can get a really fat sound out of them, they're the best choice for me, really versatile, because I'm playing in 3 bands: Black Metal, Bluesrock/Hardrock and a Hard Rock focussed coverband - so a new amp would need a versatile sound, too.

Thanks for the tips! :)

load more replies (1 of 1)
WhiteWolf

I agree with The Sloth.... I have a Metal Zone and a Metal Muff. The Muff sounds much less fizzy than the MT-2 in my opinion. It's more responsive to tweaking too i think.

Zakk EXP

I once used a compressor, but now I have the sound I was looking, I can get some really chunky tones out of the Boss MT2, the only annoying thing is some hum, but while I play it doesn't disturb.

.:st.anger:.

i have a boss mt-2 and it's been a good pedal when I want more of an edgier dist sound

sirsloop

digitech TL-2... go try it...

Fzgxc62ZWSk

mmmmmmmm....... true bypass too...

Curt Daddy

Tonebone hot british, or at the very least an MXR Dime distortion, it sounds good too. but the Tonebone is top notch.

antipole

Is the Digitech TL-2 the response to the Boss ML-2?

Post to Thread