Stompbox for heavy distortion

Updated
Zakk EXP
Hey guys! I want to use stompboxes now instead of the multi-FX I use for 3 years now, I'm just tired of it. I'm playin' a Kustom solid-state head (wanted to buy a tube-amp but was very impressed of this "cheap" one) which I want to use for crunchsounds etc., but I need a pedal for a nice metal-sound, not too muddy, fat and tight, for Black and Death Metal shit. I was looking for some BOSS pedals, for example the MT2 and ML2, but don't really know them. So what would you advise? (my other stuff is a Seymour Duncan equipped Gibson Explorer and a Marshall 1960A) Thanks in advance! (PS: I don't want to see sentences like "get the EMGzorz" or a Mesa/Diezel/Engl, a V30 cab or something else, just a nice stompbox for my kind of music ;) )
Necroticism07

Boss MT-2 should do the trick.

BroKV

+1

OutlawTorn

+2 and add a EQ to help boost the MT-2, i just find the EQ on the MT-2 a bit thin once i added the Boss EQ after the MT-2 the sound came alive...the only MXR pedal i ever owned was the ZW-44 Overdrive, and it was IMO miss labeled, it should have been labeled Lead boost, because all it really was good for was a gain/volume boost on the dirty channel.

load more replies (1 of 1)
metalhobo

I've heard good things about those Tonebone boxes. Never tried one though.

esp_gaijin

mxr is about my favorite brand for pedals these days, for sound quality compared to other stuff in their price range. i like boss too though.

Brian

mxr is about my favorite brand for pedals these days, for sound quality compared to other stuff in their price range. i like boss too though.

I have to agree with Gaijin here. I have been slowly replacing all my Boss and Digitech pedals with MXR. They make fantastic sounding and priced pedals. They have some killer distortion and OD pedals. You should go to your local shop and test a few out.

ZephMan

I like the ML-2 alot, I played it through a Deluxe Reverb and it was pretty br00tal

Zakk EXP

Thanks for the information, the MT2 was my favourite and is my fav even more now. The trick with an EQ sounds good, because I always use a Boss GE7 in my setup for boosting the solo-volume.

I hope that I can test one at a store the next time with my equipment to get an impression how it sounds like, because I don't want to buy a stompbox without testing it.

Thanks again!:)

Justinschut

Line 6 Uber Metal > Boss MT-2

deftones

i just picked up a mxr 'classic distortion' for 25$
anyway, the jekyll and hyde is nice

Zakk EXP

Well, I tested the Digitech Death Metal some time ago, it was really... umm... not my sound, just too muddy... I've tested some pedals now, the Boss MT2 was the winner.

$uperpuma

Valnott.

ok, bus seriously folks..... The ToneBone Hot British gets some great heavy tones if your amp can dial a decently flat tone. I have two, but I'm selling one... no need for a backup anymore.. subdecay blackstar is another good one. Wampler Plextortion too

The Sloth

Electro Harmonix Metal Muff or Rat, they sound a lot less 'fizzy' than the Metal Zone...Hughes and Kettner Warp factor was pretty good although it's now discontinued (may show up on ebay).

poidaobi

Hey guys!

I want to use stompboxes now instead of the multi-FX I use for 3 years now, I'm just tired of it.

I'm playin' a Kustom solid-state head (wanted to buy a tube-amp but was very impressed of this "cheap" one) which I want to use for crunchsounds etc., but I need a pedal for a nice metal-sound, not too muddy, fat and tight, for Black and Death Metal shit.

I was looking for some BOSS pedals, for example the MT2 and ML2, but don't really know them.

So what would you advise? (my other stuff is a Seymour Duncan equipped Gibson Explorer and a Marshall 1960A)

Thanks in advance!

(PS: I don't want to see sentences like "get the EMGzorz" or a Mesa/Diezel/Engl, a V30 cab or something else, just a nice stompbox for my kind of music ;) )

get a 5150 and run it through and engl v30 cab with an EMG equipped guitar.

sirsloop

Keeley Modded MT-2 ?

Riffmaster91

I got an MXR micro amp i use, good little boost, one knob, pretty simple. Check out some Fulltone pedals, like the OCD

Zakk EXP

Well, I live in Germany, a lot of the pedals you've mentioned are not available here, and some others are too expensive for me. The Boss unites a good price and a great sound for me + a good versatility.

Brian

Well, I live in Germany, a lot of the pedals you've mentioned are not available here, and some others are too expensive for me. The Boss unites a good price and a great sound for me + a good versatility.

What did you end up getting?

Kadri

Try Electro Harmonix Metal Muff, the big one, not Nano Metal Muff...

holdmyown

I get some great tone out of my MT-2 and BBE Sonic Stomp combo. The Sonic Stomp gives the MT-2 more depth and balls.

Post to Thread