Preamp help with ADA MP-1

Updated
zerosk8r900
No matter how hard I try, I cant seem to achieve the tone I want with my ADA MP-1(with noise mod) when I play shows. I dont know if it's the preamp or anything else on the rack, but the tone overall is overpowering and muddyish. I use (in no specific order) a Peavey 50/50 Classic power amp, an ART effect processor, a BBE Sonic Maximizer, and a Boss NS-2 that is not in the loop. I tune in drop B with a heavy tone. I also use a Recto-Standard 4x12 cab. Does anyone here have suggests on changing this tone problem? Rewirings, different tubes, pedals, or even different rack gear. I'm open to try anything. Thanks in advance.
zerosk8r900

It's not only live, but at louder volumes. I've messed around a little bit with it, and I'm getting some better results by mixing the eq's at the louder volumes. Also, would the preamp tubes in the power amp affect the tone at all if I have preamp tubes in the preamp, because it has the original preamp tubes, but new JJ power tubes. Hopefully that question makes sense.

Deadpulse

try the 666 mod. I did that to mine and really liked it.

it could also be that the preamp just isn't your taste

kgry

Did you try throwing it against a wall? Worked for me.

Dwayne M.

Everyone talks about the end chain... what about your source.. the guitar your playing though, as well as pick ups and string gauge? Are you confident your axe is properly set up to play that low of tuning?

I have a few guitairs and have tunings from standard E all the way down to standard C and have no issues with my ADA MP2, using 2x JJ high gains, running into my 1978 Marshall master model 100w head. I run a quad set of E34L (NOT EL34's) groove tubes matched #6 for the power section and for the pre-amp, a Tung-Sol reissue in V1, a Penta Labs in V2, and a Electroharmonix in V3. For effects I use a t.c. electronic G-Major (in serial not the effects loop of the ADA). For speakers I run a 4x12 1960a cab with 4x G12-65's celestions. All my guitars use EMG 81's and for standard C tuning I am using a DT set of .13/.56's to keep it tight. For Standard E tuning I use LTHB .10/.52's. Yes I am a very aggresive player with big hands though :P

I run my Marshall power amp "dimed" and use the preamp volume around 1.5-2.0, keeping it as clean as possible while providing max power with to my power tubes giving me a very tight bottem end, while also allowing for a very fat and dynamic mid range that make solo's sound like a dream. My ADA does all the tone work- voicing, gain, EQ, compression. My tone controls on my marshall are all set at 5. My tone is crystal clear and I play everything from Blues, classic rock, 80's metal to modern Metal/hard rock and my "unmodified" ADA MP-2 has been doing it "all" for me for over 14 years now.

I've only ever owned a solid state peavy bandit 112 back when I was 14 years old so I can't say how your 50/50 head works in unison with the ADA MP1, and to be honest I borrowed an MP1 and could never get the tone out of it that I can get with my MP2. It was also an unmodded one. It never sounded muddy though, ever.

Anyways, my best advice is to start with your guitar. Then keep your chain simple, plug straight into your poweramp first, check the sound, and check that your speakers in your cab are not blown. Once satisfied, then add the ADA into the chain, check the sound. then add the rest, one at a time. Using this method you'll easily be able to identify where and what is making it muddy.

Bottem line, IMO is to check out everything before you go a spending money not really knowing what the problem is.

Blake

Rectifier cabs are muddy as hell.....;)

zerosk8r900

I use an Ibanez S470DXQM with 11-54 Ernie Balls, and Dimarzio D-Activators. It's been professionally set up(intonation, action, etc.) for that tuning so I hope my guitar isn't the problem. However, I've been messing with the eq's, and the mix of the chain and I'm getting a better sound without the Boss NS-2. Does anyone else have problems with these?

Post to Thread