Help - string gauge for dropped C.

Updated
Mullet
I'm going to be getting my new axe on Friday (ESP LTD JD600). It's likely to have 9-46s fitted...not so good for dropped C. What gauge strings would you recommend? The guitar will be left in this tuning.
ESPimperium

Im gonna try some D'Adds 11-49s soon on my EC-1000VHB W/ BKP Painkiller for D Standard, but id asume that those would be good enough for Drop C as well.

I like my strings to feel loose ish, almost feeling like what 10-46s feel in standard, albeit in D Standard.

gorsch

Im gonna try some D'Adds 11-49s soon on my EC-1000VHB W/ BKP Painkiller for D Standard, but id asume that those would be good enough for Drop C as well.

I like my strings to feel loose ish, almost feeling like what 10-46s feel in standard, albeit in D Standard.

My ec1k needs at least a 52 for C. The 49 may work for d standard, I buy single 48's or 49's for dropped D. the rest should be good.

Sixstringhotshot

If you wants the brutals sounds, yous cant plays like littles girl.

sirsloop

Well usually you are detuned when you have larger strings so its not really all that much more tension. Now if you take a set of 12-56s and tune it to E standard you have have a problem.

ozzuk1

I used 10-52 for CGCFAD once or twice worked more than ok tuned to D and then Eb which had a really meaty sound to it with the 10-52's, i've never found that lighter strings sounded better or worse just they tended to sound alot more thin, and feel abit feeble...

Infact i might restring the ninja or with 10-52's and put one in eb...

but yeah you do really want a thicker string for the low C anything below a 52 is going to be really weedy and feel floppy and not work aswell as soemthing thicker...

Sixstringhotshot

Exactly. Let the strings judge your manhood. He who is not but tries anyway will be rewarded with a broken guitar.

It's a reality check. Real men play heavy strings. Wannabe real men break their guitars trying to play heavy strings.

DeathrollJM

^ *slaps forehead*

nevermind

Sixstringhotshot

^ *slaps forehead*

nevermind

:lol

C'mon, have a little humor about it.

gorsch

wow, just wow

I cant believe this one is still going on. What happened to "to each their own?"

I thought it would've ended there.

Mullet

LOL, perhaps we should attempt to make this the longest running dropped C related discussion on the forum ;)....

Just so you guys know....I ended up settling on a 52-10 set of DR Dimebag Hi-Voltage strings.

xchumfiestax

I use EB Beefy Slinkys for drop C 8o

sirsloop

Don't worry... in a few years the new fad will be running drop c with 8s! clank-clank-clank-clank!! HAHAH!

ZULND3R

I use 11-54s (ernie ball beefy slinkys) in Eb standard.... booyah.. callused hands ftw!. lolz

Mr.Dahl

010-052 ;)

Mullet

Update LOLZ....

I am now using the Beefy Slinkys...... 11-54.... great for dropped C...... and can also do dropped B for my Parkway Drive breakdowns... :)

GuitarmanST

52-10
Thats what Dying Fetus uses, works good enough for me when your in C#

Mullet

The JD600 is now shod with 'Not Even Slinky' Ernie Balls.... much tighter than the 11-54s for dropped B and really make the bottom end sound beefier!! Dropped C is fine too.. the callouses on my fingers are being hammered.

Matthew R.

I'd go with 11 to 50

Post to Thread