Help - string gauge for dropped C.

Updated
Mullet
I'm going to be getting my new axe on Friday (ESP LTD JD600). It's likely to have 9-46s fitted...not so good for dropped C. What gauge strings would you recommend? The guitar will be left in this tuning.
hessian101

I'd use a heavy bottom set with the bottom string at least 52. I use DR 10-56's (jh10's)most of the time, but sometimes bigger (11-60, etc) if I feel like it. I wouldnt go much thicker than that, if the guitar has a floyd rose bridge.

DeathIsMyJustice

Id lash some 12-52s on

DeathrollJM

i use 9-46's on my F-50, surprisingly they aren't loose. and if i want to go lower, low enough to hit say drop A and C at the same time 10-52 (which are a tad loose in A) or the 11-54 (which are a little tight in C)

experiment though, on my F-50 the 9-46 in drop C have the same tension as my strat with 11-54's in Drop C. same tension two different gauges. so just try some different ones out and find what works for your style and your guitar.

LOL

15-78

racer4200

10's are cool but I prefer 11's. Gives me a tighter sound.

Throne_Of_Lunacy

i use 11-50

DeathrollJM

haha matt.

its not about the strength in your hands, where it is more of your style. i play with a shitload of finesse, barely push to fret the strings, barely pick, all agile quick movements.

when the strings give you resistance, that is energy wasted with sacrifices speed. i like having the no effort tension, you can use that extra energy needed and use it for other technique.

tone wise, i can never get enough crunch with the heavier gauge, the only have a mid tone, lighter gauges give off a brighter attack becuase they compress if you dig into them a little bit.

Sixstringhotshot

haha matt.

its not about the strength in your hands, where it is more of your style. i play with a shitload of finesse, barely push to fret the strings, barely pick, all agile quick movements.

tone wise, i can never get enough crunch with the heavier gauge, the only have a mid tone, lighter gauges give off a brighter attack becuase they compress if you dig into them a little bit.

The first paragraph of this post explains the last.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Curt Daddy

anymore I use 11-52 in standard and 12-56 for d standard and drop c and 13-60 whenever I play in A#

DarkKnight369

My drop C string gauge is the D'Addario EXL 116 set which is 11-52.

jsp

My drop C string gauge is the D'Addario EXL 116 set which is 11-52.

Same here.

gorsch

On my EC1K I've got 10-52's and feel the 52 is a little lose. The rest are alright. We used to use the D'Adarrio 12-54's. That worked great but the 12 was a little tight and they put in a plain 22 for the 3rd string which was weird, but you get used to it. I'd say it depends on your picking style. Also if your lead or or just slamming down some rythm's. If your a light picker and do a lot of solos and shit you could get away with the 10-52's (works great for D standard but the C is......meh, usable). try either. What do have to you lose? 6 bucks?

Mullet

On my EC1K I've got 10-52's and feel the 52 is a little lose. The rest are alright. We used to use the D'Adarrio 12-54's. That worked great but the 12 was a little tight and they put in a plain 22 for the 3rd string which was weird, but you get used to it. I'd say it depends on your picking style. Also if your lead or or just slamming down some rythm's. If your a light picker and do a lot of solos and shit you could get away with the 10-52's (works great for D standard but the C is......meh, usable). try either. What do have to you lose? 6 bucks?

How about a set of 11-54s? The Ernie Balls Beefy Slinkys? Seems to be a nice balance between beefy top end and not so tight high end..??

gorsch

oh, forgot to add, we actually are now in either just standard or dropped D. So it's much easier. We used to be dropped C or B.

Dilzdo21

im using 50-11 and they feel awsome , just like 10-46 for standard tuning

Dilzdo21

i usta be addicted to the 52 till i realized it didnt need to be that heavy, i usta use it before i was good a triple picking

Throne_Of_Lunacy

:lol matt

Diurno

I'm using GHS ZW 10-60...and they work pretty well....they're on my eclipse (short scale, 24,75")...but sometimes they feel a little loose....

Artep.of.Filth

I'm going to be switching to DR Extra-Heavy 11-50, I play in D standard. They should be pretty good for C and Drop C.
For playing C tuning all the time I would consider Jazz type 12-52 or Mega Heavy 13-56

Metaldude30

Stevie tunes his guitar down a half-step and uses GHS Nickel Rockers measuring .013, .015, .019 (plain), .028, .038, and .058.

SRV was the man, that's some pretty serious tension for Eb. If you guys ever watch the audtin city limits episode he did during the in step album they show lots of shots of his hands and fingers HOLY SHIT!!! The man had huge fukkin hands and thick fingers and he used to still tear up his hands, he used to superglue the raw cut finger tips to get through shows, no that's manly IMO!

Mullet

Awesome Mike....

Soo.....on the basis of what I play on my axe...would a set of 12-52 DR tite fit Jazz strings (with a wound 3rd) do me??

sirsloop

Lol... I have my hello kitty (25.5 scale) wired up with Skinny Top Heavy Bottom 10-52's tuned down to Drop B♭!! HAH! That setup works real well on Drop-C, but its really only (sound good) playable down to around Drop B. I'm gonna put on a set of Not Even Slinky's (12-56) and go for drop A! If you have a 24.75" scale guitar you'll need to up the gauge a bit more. I play with the Beefy Slinky's (11-54) on my 24.75" Viper-400 in drop-c.

Mullet

Skinny Top Heavy Bottom 10-52's tuned down to Drop B♭!! HAH! That setup works real well on Drop-C

Exactly what I went for.... went for the Dimebag DR 10-52s...will report back over the weekend.

Post to Thread